• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Ah! My Goddess T.V. Series Dub...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aflimmer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone seen the dub version of the new Ah! MY Goddess series yet? I am wondering if they used the same American voice actors because they were pretty good in my opinion.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen it yet but the voice cast is different from the other.
aflimmer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
That kinda bites. I thought the voices were excellent in the OVA, particularly Belldandy and Urd.

How are the new one's?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Reviews of Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 have been posted which discuss this matter. I suggest checking out the commentary in those reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
coolGAL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the new dub cast ecspcaley Keiichi i have a slight problem with belldandy's new voice though. PS the OVA series dub cast was marvelous. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I like the dub for the TV series. The voice actor for Belldandy captures Belldandy's behavior and such (the little giggles, speech patterns, ect) better than the voice actor that AnimEigo and Geneon used.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
fargazer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote
The biggest problem I have with the new series is when I compare the English subtitles with the English dub. Often I turn on both English sub and dub together (if the disk allows) so I can compare the two; sometimes I can pick up some interesting differences.

Well, in OMG's case, Belldandy in the subs uses "Keiichi" a lot, while in the dubs she uses "Mr. Keiichi" instead. This tends to confuse me a bit. Seeing "Keiichi" in the subs tends to make me think her relationship with Keiichi is very close, and that she is not just sincere about her contract with him, but has personal feelings. When I instead hear "Mr. Keiichi", it gives me much more of an impression of distance from Keiichi, and is primarily fulfilling her contract out of necessity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:43 am Reply with quote
Well, as a tremendous fan of the Oh! My Goddess OAV's (Mr. Simpson and Mrs. Cesario were a phenomeonal pair as K1 and Bell) and now owner of the 1st TV DVD, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the dub.

Keiichi's voice actor is spot on. Very believable (if a little jumpy) and slots into the character without a hitch. I do feel there's a little too much "Crispen Freeman as Hideki Motosuwa" in his performance, but that's hard to help these days.

Belldandy's new actress is a little harder to spot. While the tone and speech is right on, the timbre and inflection is a little off and at times it seems very forced. The new actress also plays Bell up as much "girlier" than Cesario; playing up her naive charm instead of her gentle grace. It's a catch 22, and only 5 episodes in a little tough to call.... but honestly I still feel Juliet Cesario is the superior Belldandy.

And they both have tossed Ruby Marlowe's movie performance to the curb.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
fargazer wrote:
The biggest problem I have with the new series is when I compare the English subtitles with the English dub. Often I turn on both English sub and dub together (if the disk allows) so I can compare the two; sometimes I can pick up some interesting differences.

I do this all the time, even when not reviewing a title, as it's interesting to see the comparisons.

Quote:
Well, in OMG's case, Belldandy in the subs uses "Keiichi" a lot, while in the dubs she uses "Mr. Keiichi" instead. This tends to confuse me a bit. Seeing "Keiichi" in the subs tends to make me think her relationship with Keiichi is very close, and that she is not just sincere about her contract with him, but has personal feelings. When I instead hear "Mr. Keiichi", it gives me much more of an impression of distance from Keiichi, and is primarily fulfilling her contract out of necessity.

I'd have to go back and double-check to be sure, but I think what you're running into there is the difficulty of translating Japanese honorifics. In English we use "Mr." and "Mrs." and the like before a name but usually only in formal situations. Japanese honorifics, which are tacked onto the end of the name, are not only broader in scope but used nearly all the time. (Not using them, as I understand it, is considered quite rude in most situations since it implies intimate familiarity.) I'm sure if you listened to the Japanese language track carefully the character is really saying "Keiichi-san," which is the standard honorific used in a polite and formal situation. It roughly translates as "Mr. Keiichi" but isn't used the same way, which is why it's usually dropped in subtitles and dubs. And since the English script and subtitle script are usually done by different people, it's not surprising that the sub and dub would have two different interpretations of how to handle it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:

I'd have to go back and double-check to be sure, but I think what you're running into there is the difficulty of translating Japanese honorifics. In English we use "Mr." and "Mrs." and the like before a name but usually only in formal situations. Japanese honorifics, which are tacked onto the end of the name, are not only broader in scope but used nearly all the time. (Not using them, as I understand it, is considered quite rude in most situations since it implies intimate familiarity.) I'm sure if you listened to the Japanese language track carefully the character is really saying "Keiichi-san," which is the standard honorific used in a polite and formal situation. It roughly translates as "Mr. Keiichi" but isn't used the same way, which is why it's usually dropped in subtitles and dubs. And since the English script and subtitle script are usually done by different people, it's not surprising that the sub and dub would have two different interpretations of how to handle it.

Yeah, "Mr", "Mrs", and "Miss" are pretty standard ways of translation "-san". Also you'll sometimes come around people using "Lord" or "Lady" (especially the later) for the honourific "-sama". I've always found this latter one to be a bit awkward, at least in anime/manga where it doesn't really seem to work (pretty much anything set in the mordern day).

Knowing honourifics is really good for knowing the relationships between characters and I highly suggest to anyone who really enjoys anime/manga to find out about them.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:07 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Well, as a tremendous fan of the Oh! My Goddess OAV's (Mr. Simpson and Mrs. Cesario were a phenomeonal pair as K1 and Bell) and now owner of the 1st TV DVD, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the dub.

Keiichi's voice actor is spot on. Very believable (if a little jumpy) and slots into the character without a hitch. I do feel there's a little too much "Crispen Freeman as Hideki Motosuwa" in his performance, but that's hard to help these days.

Belldandy's new actress is a little harder to spot. While the tone and speech is right on, the timbre and inflection is a little off and at times it seems very forced. The new actress also plays Bell up as much "girlier" than Cesario; playing up her naive charm instead of her gentle grace. It's a catch 22, and only 5 episodes in a little tough to call.... but honestly I still feel Juliet Cesario is the superior Belldandy.

And they both have tossed Ruby Marlowe's movie performance to the curb.

Ruby Marlowe is the voice actor that Geneon used for the movie? If so, she was just horrible, too whiny and too annoying.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
Exactly, kusanagi. Marlowe's take on Belldandy in the Pioneer movie dub was very poor, including neither Cesario's grace or Eileen Stevens's naivete.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1