• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why was The Twelve Kingdoms Canceled?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
I have been watching the Twelve Kingdoms and I am currently on eppisode 40 and hoping to finnish the anime very soon, I was wondering why they only made 45 eppsiodes 6 eppisodes being part of the second season. They still have so much to finnish up, suck as the Tai Taiho who is living in Japan, and a new king/queen for Hou. What is happening with this series?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quote
it was cut short due to health issues with the character designer, and possibly something with the author too.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
This is where I learned a bit about the series stopping at ep 45: Ms. Answerman and the Half-Blood Princess Column.

I was disappointed that the series ended the way it did. Unfortunately, by the end I had really tired of Rakushun (Mr. Know-It-All as I like to call him). Other than him, I absolutely loved the entire series. I also enjoyed seeing Naotaka Komatsu as one of the leads in the final book:
「東の海神、西の滄海」 ("Higashi no Watatsumi, Nishi no Sōkai"). I think that the series could have done very well with the laid back King of En leading the way.
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad this came up again. I finally took the jump and bought the Season 1 box after some reservations. I would like to deeply thank everyone who replied to the 12 Kingdoms thread a while back and convinced me to take the chance. I absolutely love it and suspect that it will be in my top 10, if not top 5, when I get through the Season 2 box which comes out in Region 1 in less than two weeks now.

I'm with you, Chiroptera. I was very happy to see that the King of En and Enki Rokuta get their own small arc at the end of the series - they're two of my favorite characters so far (the story of their meeting was very moving, and the scene where they first met Taiki was priceless Laughing ). I think I read that the series was supposed to be one more season, but at least those starting it now can go in aware that everything isn't going to be wrapped up - at least for the forseable future. If the character designer's health was the issue, all I can say is that his health comes first and I hope everything is well with him.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:09 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand the anime caught up with the novels and at this point in the novels things start to change. First off the novels doesn't really deal with Yoko as the main character, so the people who were making anime feared that the show would lose it audience once they switch main characters. It's a damn shame 12K although it felt slow for me became one of the most enjoyable series I had the chance to watch.
In fact I don't think I have finished the last disc "the God of the Sea in the East, the Mighty Ocean in the West" that mainly because this arc really doesn't go anywhere and is complete let down. I mean after the end of disc nine the credit roll!!!!! I remember thinking to myself "what the f? Isn't there another disc?" Well there is, and still on my shelf waiting for more of the anime to be made or perhaps an OVA like hellsing, I highly doubt in the later simply because I don't think 12K had the same demand as Hellsing did. Oh well what's a guy to do?
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Edit: I have switch out manga for novel.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:32 pm Reply with quote
From my understanding it is based on a series of novels by Fuyumi Ono which wrapped up in 2001 with 11 books and some added stories which the anime does not catch up to. Not even close from my understanding though I've not read the books simply because there's no translated version to my knowledge.

According to what I've found there's some truth to most of what people say regarding why it got cancelled. Would seem that people working on it fell ill and that they used up most of the Youko content from the novels although that seems like a lesser reason as the Tai oriented arc had peoples interest just as much. I think the illness reason is likely the root of the cancellation, it was originally scheduled to go 68 episodes.

I loved the anime myself, definetely one of my favorites which is amazing since I really only picked up the 1st DVD when it was released because the cover art looked interesting. I wouldn't say I was disappointed by the final story arc though, I thought the story was on par with the rest of the series although it was somewhat anti-climactic after the great ending in the 9th volume. Still worth watching though so I wouldn't abandon the 10th volume just because the previous arc had a great ending. It's a shame there were such major loose ends left though, I was really disappointed to see the series end without truly wrapping everything up. I know many anime tend to leave loose ends but this is the only one I've really watched that left a whole story arc wide open. I really hope they get back to it someday but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited by Keonyn on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
From what I understand the anime caught up with the manga...

Novels.

I gave it "excellent;" in my opinion, it could have been a "masterpiece" if it ended at episode 39.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Masterpiece here, favorite series, loved all of the arcs even the last one to no end. I definitely hope there's going to be another translation from the novels to the screen, but then again, if it's a different team it might mess things up. I'm basically fine the way it is, and hold it up as something to be truly remembered for years to come.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:
From what I understand the anime caught up with the manga...

Novels.

I gave it "excellent;" in my opinion, it could have been a "masterpiece" if it ended at episode 39.

Huh, how about that. They are novels since they are not part of ANN's manga section.

Have the novels been tranlsated at all? I would really love to read them someday.

For me, having Shōryu highlighted in the last book of the anime kept the series a Masterpiece in my mind. There's parts that I didn't care for in each of the books to the anime, but they never detracted from the overall storyline.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1