• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Character Guessing Game, Q2-2012 Round.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
Here's the next pic:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Badrinath from Patlabor]
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
G-mofactor wrote:
spoiler[Badrinath from Patlabor]

Correct
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
My pics usually goes fast. If there is no answer in an hour, I won't be back for another eight hours.
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
Hint 1 spoiler[This character is best friends with the main character.]
jetz

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Zewerr wrote:
Jetz, I could always send you a message on FB, letting you know if your answer was correct, if you want.

That would be helpful, Zewerr! Oh but only do so if it isn't too much trouble Smile
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Is it spoiler[Hitomi Onodera from Seven of Seven]?
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
Is it spoiler[Hitomi Onodera from Seven of Seven]?

That is her.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Next character:

Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Is that spoiler[Ichiru Mishima from Keitai Shoujo] Question
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Is that spoiler[Ichiru Mishima from Keitai Shoujo] Question

That's correct.

Also, sorry if I'm being rude, but I just wanted to ask again . . . are you sure you are playing fair? It just seems like you guess a lot of things that aren't on your anime list very quickly. Of course I sometimes guess things I haven't seen quickly as well, but it just seems like you do it extremely often (by my count 6 times in under half an hour this round, plus a few more that took a little longer or where you got the right series but the wrong character). I just don't see how you could get something like the image of legs hanging out of the ceiling from El Cazador de la Bruja, or the random military officer from Blue Gender, or something relatively obscure like this, in under 15 minutes each without having seen any of those anime. I can get images from shows I haven't seen that quickly if I have an idea of what sort of show it is from and the poster has an anime list that I can skim for shows of that type (such as with your last image), but that wasn't the case for many of the ones you have been geussing (this and the El Cazador ones weren't on the posters anime list, and the other poster didn't have a list here). Again, I'm sorry if I'm being rude, but I just haven't seen anyone do anything like that in this game before, and it just seems like it shouldn't be possible to get that many that quickly from shows you haven't seen if you are playing fairly.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, I look for characters that are very similar to some of the images and try to see what kind of art style they have. I'm also very familiar with MAL (myanimelist) which I know is legal for this game as players have used it in this round and previous rounds. I used Myanimelist to search for the character for this series. I sometimes also hunt for clues if there is a school uniform involved and look for one very similar to it. If that doesn't help, I just wait for the hints to come. It's just all detective work tbh, I'm sure a lot people look for any clues in the picture and style along with the hints. Of course, most of the time, it's very vague and we have to think outside the box.

For example, the one used for spoiler[Holy Knight]. There are several ways to get through this. The symbol/cross that the character wore resembles something related to religion hence something that could be related to an anime related to occult. I originally thought it would be something from Chrono Crusade, Hellsing, or something related to that field even though I've not seen the series. Then, the hint came but I got the answer wrong (although I knew it cause the art style) didn't fit. I just merely made the guess based on the hint the player gave. What I should of done is probably looked up another word on MAL and might of gotten me closer. That series was relatively new anyways so it was one of the more difficult ones that stumbled some of us.

Then, of course there are images where I don't even need to do detective work at all and I immediately recognize the character without even looking up the series. This usually apply to series I'm currently watching or something I re-watched or I am very familiar with. (Ex. spoiler[Waiting in the Summer, Myself;Yourself])

I've also seen a lot of anime btw and that list isn't my entire thing. Also, I don't have many OVA completed as most of my anime are from TV. Noticed that I can barely guess anything from an OVA? That's because I barely watch them and even if I would do detective work on it, it would be a bit difficult as it would be hard to know where to look for me. (Ex. the one image from spoiler[Holy Knight]. There are some series on ANN that are not fully updated in the encyclopedia and my ANN list and is actually not entirely updated.

Anyways, there are other players who can guess answers very quickly, not just me. I just judge by the art styles and any clue at all in the picture before the hint even comes sometimes. And of course, it is risky as I do get some answers wrong. Still, this is just a game for me and I'm not going to get bashed for getting an answer wrong.

I also checked some of the guesses you made in this round. It seems that you search on Wikipedia/MAL and such. That's not against the rules obviously but for detective work for games like this, is where I can't tell the character even if I know what the series is from. I'm also on ANN forums quite frequently when I'm not busy especially on weekends. Anyways, that's all I have to say on this "issue" (if it is an issue at all). If you have further doubts, feel free to pm me about it as I really want to get back into the game tbh.

As for the turn, going to pass as I don't have a good picture ready.

Last edited by Stark700 on Sat May 05, 2012 8:22 pm; edited 7 times in total
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I didn't post this, did I? G-mofactor should like this one.

Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Too late! spoiler[Mai from Mai-Hime]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Is that spoiler[Mai Tokiha from Mai-Hime] Question

Edit: got beaten by a hair. Oh well....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 79