• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Good Anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animekid08.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I like to buy imported anime DVDs, but most of the anime I own are imported versions of the ones I liked dubbed on Cartoon Netowork/Adult Swim. So far the only one I own that haven't been on TV is Love Hina. My others are Yuyu Hakusho, Detective Conan, Fullmetal Alchemist, One Piece, Rave Master, Paranoia Agent, and Naruto. I hate telling othere anime-lovers my favorites because then they assume I only watch shows that air on TV. What are some really good animes that I may like, based onn my collection, that have not aired on TV? PLEASE HELP!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, well if you liked Paranoia Agent than you'll probably like anything by Satoshi Kon. I personally thought Perfect Blue was great. I haven't see it yet but I've heard good things about Tokyo Godfathers as well. You'd also probably like Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X. Ranma 1/2 also might be another title you would like to sink your teeth into.
thebaron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Where to start?

I highly recommend starting at the classics: Bubblegum Crisis, Project A-Ko, Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkuku, Tenchi Muyo OVA, etc. Perfect Blue is a good movie as Kenshin is a good series (the ova rocks). Many new series have borrowed pieces from older ones.

If you're near Pittsburgh, check out Tekkoshocon 2006 as I plan to have a good classic fest mixed with newer stuff in the video rooms. Check out live action samurai movies like Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, and more.

Naruto is a good anime, but sometimes wish to "strangle" the creators when they mess up show by jumping too much and ruin a battle to boredom level... The rehashing can get painful, but I understand it was shown weekly.... I really like Blood Reign, Ninja scroll movie, and even the long drawn out Dagger of Kamui.

Too many titles to suggestion without creating my own site and I don't have time for that...
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Animekid08. wrote:
I like to buy imported anime DVDs, but most of the anime I own are imported versions of the ones I liked dubbed on Cartoon Netowork/Adult Swim. So far the only one I own that haven't been on TV is Love Hina. My others are Yuyu Hakusho, Detective Conan, Fullmetal Alchemist, One Piece, Rave Master, Paranoia Agent, and Naruto. I hate telling othere anime-lovers my favorites because then they assume I only watch shows that air on TV. What are some really good animes that I may like, based onn my collection, that have not aired on TV? PLEASE HELP!

Your import version wouldn't happen to have subtitle would it? Smell of bootleg.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about importing Ranma 1/2, I personally would prefer to rent such a long series. I think you might enjoy the R.O.D. OVA, sinc you seem to have a few other action anime on your list. It's a one volume anime, 90 minutes. While RahXephon is being aired on G4 Tech TV, if you don't have it, I'd recommend seeing it. Rah seems to be a fairly popular show, although I personally haven't seen it. Boogiepop Phantom again, was aired on G4TechTV, and it's definitely got a bit of a psychological aspect of it. I went through almost all of the show in a day, and it was pretty good, as well as a bit mind boggling. I saw Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin OVAs) a few years back, and it was very good. Also a short series, I think it only has about three volumes in the U.S., so it shouldn't have many more volumes in R2.

yeasia.com is a safe place to order, as well as Amazon.co.jp
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
You seem to enjoy Shonen style adventure series. If you want one that hasn't aired on tv, I'd reccommend Flame of Recca. It's kind of like Naruto with more magic. Very typical shonen adventure but it's still good to waste time away with. Tokyo Underground is pretty much more of the same. GTO is a very hilarious show. It's not as good as the manga but the show follows it very closely. I haven't seen it, but I've heard good things about Chrono Crusade so go for some of that as well.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Animekid08. wrote:
I like to buy "imported" anime DVDs,

Your import version wouldn't happen to have subtitle would it? Smell of bootleg.

Uh, yeah, unless you're paying tons of money and watching it in raw Japanese, these are probably bootlegs.
Animekid08.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
Animekid08. wrote:
I like to buy "imported" anime DVDs,

Uh, yeah, unless you're paying tons of money and watching it in raw Japanese, these are probably bootlegs.

I have two issues to adress now

1. I have read the piratefaq and now I looked at my DVDs and some are bootlegg. Some aren't though. I understand this issue so please stop telling me this. I truly didn't know that they were bootlegs ( Surprised )but I did think it was too good to be true. Embarassed

2. Thank you evryone for helping me find better animes. I truly appreciate what you've posted. Please, other people, feel free to post your lists of animes on this forum and have others tell you what you may like. This good be a really big forum that way!

Thank you everyone! Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tetratrax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Well, i see YYH, and Fullmetal Alchemist on your list, meaning you must like action, with a decent plot, correct? in that case, i'd recommend R.O.D. TV (and the OAV), and perhaps Last Exile. They both have great animation, great sound, and plots complicated enough not to be boring...but not entirely confusing either. They're probably some of the best series i've ever seen that haven't aired on TV, and something that everyone should see at some point. ^^
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hmm. Well, i see YYH, and Fullmetal Alchemist on your list, meaning you must like action, with a decent plot, correct? in that case, i'd recommend R.O.D. TV (and the OAV), and perhaps Last Exile. They both have great animation, great sound, and plots complicated enough not to be boring...but not entirely confusing either. They're probably some of the best series i've ever seen that haven't aired on TV, and something that everyone should see at some point. ^^

Sorry to rain on that parade but R.O.D, the OAV aired on Adult Swim a while ago. R.O.D the Tv aired on G4 Tv and so did Last Exile.
tetratrax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
Sorry to rain on that parade but R.O.D, the OAV aired on Adult Swim a while ago. R.O.D the Tv aired on G4 Tv and so did Last Exile.

I know the OAV aired on AS, i said the SERIES didn't. And i suppose i should have clarified that by "TV" i meant "Adult Swim", since that is the only channel that airs anime way out here. And from the list on the first post, those look like only Cartoon network/AS to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1