• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunter X Hunter (TV 2011).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
This was a great episode. While the first arc used Pokemon as an inspirational foundation, this newest arc is more Dragonball-esque. It's reminiscent of the Tenka'ichi Budokai tournament. Gon's opening "push" move especially--that's a direct homage to Goku (in action, anyways--HxH makes it look like a more serious maneuver. Pay attention to how the violence looks in this series). And the Goten / Trunks vibe is definitely supposed to be there.

However, as you may have realized, an oddity pertaining to Gon appeared in this episode. An inkling. During his first match, when Gon first pushes his opponent out of the ring, we get this interesting curiosity: Gon looks down at his hand and contemplates his newfound strength. "Was I always this strong before?" It's something new to him. He is in awe of how much his strength has increased. He stares and his mouth contorts into a sort of slight smile in that moment of shock. Gon somewhat likes it. If you remember, he was incredibly humiliated by being forced to confront his weakness in the Fourth Phase against Hisoka. Despite all he suffered throughout the Hunter Exam and despite being a child, Gon only cries when he's insecure about his own strength. Really pay attention to any mention of power and how it pertains to Gon Freecss in this arc.

EDIT: I forgot about one more moment--after Killua decides that they're going to the top floor of Heavens Arena, Gon has an interesting thought.

"Actually, that was my intent from the beginning."

Money wasn't the main issue for Gon. Seemingly, it's the act of fighting itself that's more important to him than anything else. Training to get stronger. But for what purpose and why?
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
Yay, Chrollo. (And Melody!) It was nice seeing all the new characters added to the opening and ending animation. (Although the new opening is otherwise pretty meh.)

Thank you for pointing that out. I did not like this series' OP very much so I was skipping it ever since the 2nd episode.

And I gotta say....

1) Machi should not have pink hair.

2) I am so glad Phinks immediately loses that egyptian-esque attire of his.

That said, while it's a nice touch they changed it up a little, that leaves me kinda disappointed. I was hoping once the series enters a new arc they'd change up the OP to something more fitting. But it looks like they'll just use the same ending with different animations as the series progress. Guess we won't have something like this for York Shin city arc. Confused

Etrien wrote:

I rather enjoyed this episode, but I don't know if that's because of it itself or because I know where it's ultimately heading.

Yeah, same here for me now that you mentioned it...
Rhyono

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed this episode; probably purely out of my inclination to enjoy tournaments in animes and games.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, I just can't do this. I get butthurt every week. Too many minor changes. Too many things taken out while making other scenes slower to fill the hole. Too many characters with their personalities ripped from them. Too many memorable lines absolutely ruined by playing them off like a regular conversation with no emotion. Too many memorable scenes ruined by just weak execution and overall lack of mood/tone. Weak reactions to everything, I feel like the animated characters are reading cue cards. Tired of this director's fetish with Hisoka's stomach. First it was a caterpillar and now it's a giant ball? Seriously? As if the changes in his personality weren't enough.

I've given up on this remake. Probably won't be back here until it gets past Greed Island, which I doubt it will. Wish all the best for the ones who haven't seen the original and are enjoying this version of it. For me, it's just not the same show that I fell in love with and I can't get over that fact. I really can't.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
I'm sorry, I just can't do this. I get butthurt every week. Too many minor changes. Too many things taken out while making other scenes slower to fill the hole. Too many characters with their personalities ripped from them. Too many memorable lines absolutely ruined by playing them off like a regular conversation with no emotion. Too many memorable scenes ruined by just weak execution and overall lack of mood/tone. Weak reactions to everything, I feel like the animated characters are reading cue cards. Tired of this director's fetish with Hisoka's stomach. First it was a caterpillar and now it's a giant ball? Seriously? As if the changes in his personality weren't enough.

I've given up on this remake. Probably won't be back here until it gets past Greed Island, which I doubt it will. Wish all the best for the ones who haven't seen the original and are enjoying this version of it. For me, it's just not the same show that I fell in love with and I can't get over that fact. I really can't.

That's kind of funny because this remake follows the manga a lot closer then before. It's a lot more accurate and more in tone of what the original source material. So you saying that things have changed and not as good is kind of silly when in fact it's the other way around. I liked the original series well enough but I'm loving this as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:

That's kind of funny because this remake follows the manga a lot closer then before. It's a lot more accurate and more in tone of what the original source material. So you saying that things have changed and not as good is kind of silly when in fact it's the other way around. I liked the original series well enough but I'm loving this as well.

It's not silly, it's an opinion.
Conveniently I'm an anime only person, so I have no idea about what's real from the manga. I'm only comparing it to the 1999 anime. If this new remake is in fact a lot closer to the manga, then I'm glad I never read it and it just makes me think that Kazuhiro Furuhashi is a genius for making it so much better.
Etrien

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

The song's kinda terribad, but I don't think very much about this version's song either. I do agree that the aesthetics in that opening seem to match Yorknew much better than this light hearted one, though.

(And I agree that Chrollo looks off in the new opening. I'm hoping he looks more consistent to the manga art in the actual episodes.)
EDIT: Although after some youtube hopping, I gotta say he's not as off as in the old anime's 3rd opening... Yikes. Lotsa off-model in that one.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Machi should not have pink hair.

The Phantom Troupe's appearances in this version are based upon Togashi's colors for them on the cover of Volume 12 of the manga:

Mr Sinister wrote:
If this new remake is in fact a lot closer to the manga, then I'm glad I never read it and it just makes me think that Kazuhiro Furuhashi is a genius for making it so much better.

All in good time. This adaptation captures Togashi's narrative voice better than the first series did. You might think that scenes were taken out/extended on mere whims, but there's been a surprising amount of deliberation in Madhouse's direction of the series.

To explain, Hunter x Hunter is highly regarded in Japan due to the ways in which it's written. Togashi's voice intentionally lends itself to a misread of the source material, which seemingly occurs throughout the older version. That's why this version was advertised as being more faithful to the manga than the previous--Madhouse wasn't only talking about character design, but largely overlooked instances of foreshadowing and the psychologies of its characters.

From this arc forward, the subtle differences in how HxH's protagonists are characterized will be more apparent (and likely a surprise to those whom have only experienced the series through the older animated adaptation)--especially in regard to Gon/Killua/Kurapika. Though seemingly slight moments, these actually are major, character-defining moments with great implications.
TheAmericanDream

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I was with you Mister Sinister till you complained about Hisoka's belly. I too generally prefer the 1999 series but I'm willing to admit most of that is my own nostalgic nitpicks. But the character designs in the new series really pop to me, Hisoka is one character who I think shines even better then before. The ball belly is what his waist was like in the manga during Heaven's Arena (it's crazy and fits his magician personality, when I glanced at the manga and saw that I thought it was hilarious), I don't fault the old series for not having it, cause well its really weird and doesn't actually make sense. But That to me fits Hisoka's personality so well (note how in the 1999 series they used this arc to change his hair color from blue to red, he's a ridiculous fabulous guy). I have my own handful of nitpicks on the new series and my nostalgia is the major reason for my preference of the 1999 series. I love its mood but its altered from what the manga is. I do think manga audience do deserve a more proper adaptation, and I'm much happier they're doing it this way instead of making more low rent OVA's for the next arc "NGL". Even as a 1999 fanboy I have to admit the Greed Island Final OVA was a huge decline in production values from the original series.

To each their own at the end of the day, I'm glad you love the original series it was great. But I hope more then success for the new series, I've heard its doing well in Japan. There's going to be a movie, a video game, the series has been totally reborn! See ya when it gets to NGL I guess, I think that won't be for another 60 episodes though.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
As I said before, I've got no experience of either the manga or the previous anime series. After watching #27 (I'm also a week behind the rest of you because I'm watching the free stream), all I can say is I'm still enjoying the show. My only complaint is that I may soon get really tired of people going "Os'!" all the time.

I like the new ED a lot more than the previous one. The new verse of the opening... meh, like the first one.

Leorio is my favorite character, and it looked like he was going to be completely gone for a while, so I was pleasantly surprised to see him included in the new opening and closing sequences. Are we actually going to see him soon, or is Madhouse just messing with me?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
As I said before, I've got no experience of either the manga or the previous anime series. After watching #27 (I'm also a week behind the rest of you because I'm watching the free stream), all I can say is I'm still enjoying the show. My only complaint is that I may soon get really tired of people going "Os'!" all the time.

After that episode, only Zushi does it.
TheAmericanDream

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Leorio returns for the next story arc (which is much longer then Heaven's Arena). I would say he'll be gone for at least 7-10 episodes before he returns again to the main cast. Though they might add filler with him? In the old anime you see him very briefly studying to become a doctor at his home.

Zushi says Osu literally every line he has though! Gon and Killua only do it like two or three times if I can remember and then never again.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
TheAmericanDream wrote:

Zushi says Osu literally every line he has though! Gon and Killua only do it like two or three times if I can remember and then never again.

I liked that in episode 29, Zushi didn't have a single line.
TheAmericanDream

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Ha Ha Ha. You know it was a good episode, but I found that kind of odd. No matter the case, Zushi isn't an important character and his lines only diminish as things go onwards.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I keep getting this feeling that Gon is actually cocky in this version. He's starting to sound like a brat shoving his principles down everyone's throat. Gon always seemed like a humble kid to me, and while I still see some of that, I'm seeing more of the other lately. This is a real shame because I watched the former HxH 3 times and never felt this way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 52