• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favourite quote from an anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
What is your favourite quote from an anime or one that you think is noteworthy?

This is my personal favourite:

*It is a seen from Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion; second part.

-------------------------------------------------------------
(Empty theater - Jesus Bleibet Meine Freude (Jesus, Joy of Man's Desiring) begins to play... Real-life scenes of urban Tokyo)
Shinji (voice):
Hey...
Misato (voice):
What?
Shinji (voice):
What are dreams?
Misato (voice):
Dreams?
Rei:
Yes, dreams.
(Packed theater)
(Screen text: Do you feel good?)
(Three girls standing still in crowd)
Shinji (voice):
I don't understand... I don't really understand reality.
Rei (voice):
So, you can't understand the gap between other's reality and your own truth.
Shinji (voice):
I don't know where to find happiness.
Rei (voice):
So, you can only find happiness in your dreams.
(Crowded street- camera focuses on three individuals; dressed as Misato, Rei, and Asuka)
Shinji (voice):
Then, this isn't reality... Because no one is here.
Rei (voice):
Yes, it's a dream.
Shinji (voice):
So, I'm not here either.
Rei (voice):
You were trying to remake reality with convenient fantasies.
Shinji (voice):
Is that wrong?
Rei (voice):
You were using fabrications to escape from reality.
Shinji (voice):
Can't I dream alone?
Rei (voice):
That would not be a dream. It would just be compensating for reality.
(Packed theater -> empty theater)
Shinji (voice):
Then... where is my dream?
Rei (voice):
It is the continuation of reality.
Shinji (voice):
Where is... my reality?
Rei (voice):
It is at the end of your dream.
-------------------------------------------------------------

This is my favourite quote because it describes dreams and reality so perfectly. Also the words do not stumble over each other and flow fluidly. The quote gives answers to many questions as well as creating new questions.

Also if you know any good websites with scripts to different anime titles please also list them.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
People, I left this thread open because Kyle Smith actually took the effort to explain why that quote was his favourite, as well. I just deleted three posts because people mindlessly threw a quote down and left it at that. That's listing. That's a no-no here. Please try elaborating on why you picked a quote if you're going to reply here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Okay okay this time i'll put in more detail.

"Hey Sakura, you wanna see it?" - Naruto

Naruto episode 101

Okay the reason as to why this is my favourite quote would be that in my mind this question sounds sorta perverted. I just laughed my ass off Laughing (can't stop laughing), when I heard Naruto ask Sakura that(i'm taking deep breaths). Also seeing the expression Naruto put on while asking that question was just plain priceless.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Geez Nagisa, aren't you taking it just a tad too far right now, quotes in general are self explanatory, it doesn't take a genuis to figure them out, and it sure as hell doesn't take a text to explain them.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
quotes in general are self explanatory, it doesn't take a genuis to figure them out, and it sure as hell doesn't take a text to explain them.

If you actually bothered to read what I said, I'm not asking for an explanation of the quotes. I'm asking people to explain WHY THEY LIKE THEM. Personal insight is not self-explanatory, nor is it easily deduced, and it generates some manner of legitimate discussion, to boot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
"Cock-a-doodle-doo, motherfucker!"

Kei Kurono, Gantz

I like this because it's funny and has strong profanity, unlike the Japanese version. Good job, ADV.

Another one is:

"That was really cool how you opened the wound and all, but if you lose any more blood, you're going to die."

Kakashi-sensei, Naruto

I like this one because it makes Naruto's dramatic scene (where he stabs his hand) seem pointless. That, and it's funny to hear Kakashi, who's normally serious, say something funny.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:53 am Reply with quote
Alright well lets get right into it, not necessarily my most favorite of all time but two that I think about often. First one comes from the man/small kid (I know he hates that) over to your left. Full Metal Alchemist Epsiode 1 "Those who Challenge the Sun" Somewhat of a lengthy quote so I cut out certain pieces.
"Water, 35 liters; carbon, 20 kilograms; ammonia, 4 liters; lime 1.5 kilograms. Phosphorous, 800 grams. Salt, 250 grams; saltpeter, 100 grams; sulfur, 80 grams; fluorine, 7.5; iron, 5, silicon, 3 grams; and trace amounts of fifteen other elements. The ingredients of the average adult human body, down to the last specks of protein in your eyelashes. And even though science has given us the entire physical breakdown, there's never been a successful attempt at brining a human to life. There is still something missing, something scientists haven't been able to find in centuries of research. All of those ingredients can be bought on a child's allowance. Humans can be built on the cheap there's no magic to it." As someone who was at one point in his life extremely religious and now as someone who has lost their faith, this quote really contradict my way of life. Science is an absolute rule and it obvious what makes up me physically, and yet there is something not there something that can be measure it. And also that last part talking about Humans can be built cheaply, sorta creepy and eerie when you really think about that, I mean is that all we really are?

Well after that lets go to one from what of my current shows, no not monster although there is lot to choose from it has to be Gankutsuou: The Count Of Monte Cristo. Anyways this come from epsiode 1 as well, "Mors certa hora incerta. Latin: Death is certain, its hour uncertain." That just one quote to help remind at the end of a stressful week filled with School, Work, Social Problems, Car problem, etc, etc. That I don't know when my time is up, and that I need to enjoy life whenever I have the possible to do so. Well I think that wraps up those two quotes, perhaps I will edit this later when I have finally found a good Monster quote to use.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Last edited by Deltakiral on Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:57 am Reply with quote
"Through shots and shells here we go into the mouths of hell" Lowie from "Robotech Southern Cross"

I like this quote because it basically explains that bad things are going to happen to them if they do this but they go ahead anyways. I use this quote practically everytime I know I'm going to get in trouble for it. (Driving being a major usage of this quote lol)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Of all the anime I have watched over the past few years, a couple of quotes still really stick out in my mind. Each is a favorite because of how eloquently spoken they are and how perfectly they embody the tone, spirit, and attitude of the show:

"When I think about it, I should have noticed back then. . . On that day, when I held Chise in my arms, I didn't feel her heart beat." - Shuji, Saikano

“Police girl. . . I’m going fire my gun now, and the bullet will rip through your lungs before it hits the maggot vampire’s heart. . . I know you don’t want to die tonight. Do you want to come with me?” - Alucard, Hellsing

A third recent addition to my Favorite Anime Quotes list make the cut because of its devastating simplicity:

"Wars don't raise children." - Sis, Now and Then, Here and There
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Efan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:

"Hey Sakura, you wanna see it?" - Naruto

Naruto episode 101

Okay the reason as to why this is my favourite quote would be that in my mind this question sounds sorta perverted. I just laughed my ass off Laughing .when I heard Naruto ask Sakura that. Also seeing the expression Naruto put on while asking that question was just plain priceless.

Same qutoe, same reason it could mean so many things and is totaly random and perverted.

Naruto Ep 11: Kaiza: "Just remeber this: If you're a man, choose a life of no regrets."

I like this quote simply because of what it means to me. It means to live your life taking all or nothing and not looking back. Reaching all of your goal's regardless of how hard it will be to achive them, then you can call yourself a man.
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote
In my first post I mentioned to list any web sites that have anime scripts. Then I remembered that there is probably copy right laws against some wesites. Thus just list any websites you have and hopefully if they are a bad site the url will just not be shown.

Here is one that I just found: http://www.simplyscripts.com/anime.html
excel7769

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
My favorite Quote in anime comes from Noir and Kirika says it many times through out the series "There we go..." if nothing those three simple words can explain a lot about things.
"There we go..." It's simple it's direct and it's too the point. Smile

The second favorite is from Saiyuki and it's also said throughout the anime, by Sanzo, "Whatever..." that's just cool, and that's all there is to that.
Alucard27

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
My favorite is, of course, Alucard from the first episode of Hellsing.

"You act more like a cockroach than a proper vampire. Left on your own you would cover the world in filth."

I like this quote because it shows everything that Alucard really is, even though he was created. He knows what a proper vampire should be: regal, disciplined, and civilized.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Alucard27 wrote:
My favorite is, of course, Alucard from the first episode of Hellsing.

"You act more like a cockroach than a proper vampire. Left on your own you would cover the world in filth."

I like this quote because it shows everything that Alucard really is, even though he was created. He knows what a proper vampire should be: regal, disciplined, and civilized.

I also liked the "you're not worthy of the lowest pits of Hell" line ("even Hell wouldn't accept you" in the sub) he spoke shortly after that, since it so well defined his smarmy, arrogant attitude.

Man, that series in general, and that first episode in particular, is so chock-full of good quotes. Saikano and NGE are the only other series I've ever seen that are so quote-worthy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dreamriser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:54 am Reply with quote
How can there be no good quotes from Ruroni Kenshin?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2