• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami Fixes Naruto Pronunciation

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Toonami has fixed Steve Blum's pronunciation of "Naruto" in the promos. The promos haven't changed; only the title has been redone. I'm guessing they listened to the fans, Steve Blum, or someone at Viz.
patch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
Sorry dude, makes no sense without listening to what you are talking about.

Are you saying originally Steven Blum was pronouncing Naruto incorrectly, then they redubbed it?
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
They fixed it so that Tom, the host of Toonami, pronounces Naruto like Zabusa does in the show.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:58 am Reply with quote
If they're doing that, then they should fix the way they say Kakashi, Uchiha as well as other mispronunciations I don't have time to list. And not by just one person, by EVERYONE who doesn't know how to pronounce these names and titles correctly.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:37 am Reply with quote
Rozzer wrote:
If they're doing that, then they should fix the way they say Kakashi, Uchiha as well as other mispronunciations I don't have time to list. And not by just one person, by EVERYONE who doesn't know how to pronounce these names and titles correctly.

First of all, all of those names are pronounced correctly, and secondly, we're talking about the promos, not the dub. Something's wrong with you if you think they are mispronouncing the names, because they're NOT. Damn Narutards...
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
[quote]Rozzer wrote:

Do you even know anything about japanese pronounciation? They have been saying just about all of the names right with the proper pronounciation and yet, all I ever hear is "they didn't pronounce kakashi right, they didn't pronounce naruto right, they didn't pronounce blah, blah, blah."
If you did your research and actually looked into japanese pronounciation, you would see that your criticisms are wrong.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:31 am Reply with quote
[quote="outlawwolf"]
Quote:
Rozzer wrote:

Do you even know anything about japanese pronounciation? They have been saying just about all of the names right with the proper pronounciation and yet, all I ever hear is "they didn't pronounce kakashi right, they didn't pronounce naruto right, they didn't pronounce blah, blah, blah."
If you did your research and actually looked into japanese pronounciation, you would see that your criticisms are wrong.

Some people will find anything to complain about so they can try to spread their dub-hating beliefs. It's so pathetic. It's like that one idiot at IMDb who complained that Mononoke-Hime was released in the US as Princess Mononoke without realizing that the latter is a translation. Rolling Eyes
Rozzer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Rozzer wrote:

First of all, all of those names are pronounced correctly, and secondly, we're talking about the promos, not the dub. Something's wrong with you if you think they are mispronouncing the names, because they're NOT. Damn Narutards...

Daaaamn Amada, you never cease to amaze me with your terse comments where you seem you are always right! Actually nothing is wrong with me when I think they can fix the way the pronounce some names, you just need to lighten up there bud.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote="outlawwolf"]
Quote:
Rozzer wrote:

How can my critcism possibly be wrong when you hear the traditional way the Japanese pronounce the word/name and then the American dub group can't pronounce it the same way.

I don't understand why people like myself who express the way they don't like something is pronounced then I get you people like you and Amada trying to bite my head off because I'm unhappy with it. Instead of labeling people as "narutards" as Amada put it, just realize that people are used to somethings and it would be great if they didn't change it... That's all, please lighten up people, this board is killing me with the elitist behaviour that everyone has... It's almost as if you have to conform to everyone elses beliefs in anime to even post here.. Cause if someone posts out of the norm, you all jump on that person like a pack of wolves Rolling Eyes
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, most people are just really annoyed by how many whiners there are who hate the dub because they think they pronounce a name wrong (Uchiha and Kakashi are pronounced right btw).

I used to pronounce Naruto "Nar-oo-do" and Hokage "Hoe-cage". I'm not screaming about how they "mispronounced" the names because I know I'm wrong.
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't see what's in the Naruto dub name pronouncations that's needed to be "corrected" when the pronouncations were correct to begin with. It's SUPPOSED to be pronounced NAH-RU-TO; NOT NUH-ROO-TOE. When pronouncing Japanese words, you aren't supposed to stress the syallables. Honestly, are all these people who think the dub is mispronouncing the names watching Naruto subbed with the sound muted or what? And we don't have elitist behaviors or anything like that; we're just stating the facts.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Rozzer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
The thing is, most people are just really annoyed by how many whiners there are who hate the dub because they think they pronounce a name wrong (Uchiha and Kakashi are pronounced right btw).

I used to pronounce Naruto "Nar-oo-do" and Hokage "Hoe-cage". I'm not screaming about how they "mispronounced" the names because I know I'm wrong.

I don't hate the dub at all, I still watch the new episodes on Cartoon Network whenever I remember it's on. I just prefer hearing names pronounced one way while the rest of you just don't care at all. That's great, but for my own personal enjoyment I just wish they did things differently.

I just don't want to start a huge argument about this because it goes nowhere, so let's just leave it where it is... You guys prefer it one way, while I prefer it a different way.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Rozzer wrote:

How can my critcism possibly be wrong when you hear the traditional way the Japanese pronounce the word/name and then the American dub group can't pronounce it the same way.

Because the voice actor arn't japanese. Do you think they speak japanese in their every day language? It's bad enough when the japanese va misprounce an English word (which is really bad at times),but a lot of japanese viewer would probably not care.

Don't take the translation so literally, because mixing two language will probably not even sound natural even if they get all the syllable correctly.
Throes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Rozzer wrote:
I don't hate the dub at all, I still watch the new episodes on Cartoon Network whenever I remember it's on. I just prefer hearing names pronounced one way while the rest of you just don't care at all. That's great, but for my own personal enjoyment I just wish they did things differently.

I just don't want to start a huge argument about this because it goes nowhere, so let's just leave it where it is... You guys prefer it one way, while I prefer it a different way.

It's not how you "prefer" it to be pronounced, it's how it is pronounced that Viz is concerned about, not one "ultrafan" who likes it pronounced their way. Viz is doing a great job with the dub, and if they weren't pronouncing any names right, then Yuri Lowenthal, english voice of Sasuke, would correct them, he speaks, and understands japanese on an extremely high level.

I used to pronounce the names differently too, and when I heard the dub I though, "Wait a minute, that doesn't sound right..." I then checked into my origional japanese subs and discovered, lo and behold, that they were pronouncing the dub names with extreme accuracy.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:00 pm Reply with quote
It is hypocritical how purists complain about mispronunciations of Japanese names in dubs but never about mispronunciations of non-Japanese in the Japanese version. Some fans even use the Japanese pronunciations of non-Japanese names even if they're wrong.

Anyway, I don't see how Kakashi and Uchiha are mispronounced. They're pronounced right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3