• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
is "recording tv anime" bad seen in your contry?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosque

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:21 am Reply with quote
Sorry for the horrible grammar in the question but my english isn't very good (my native languaje is spanish).

At least here in my country (Chile), recording tv anime on vhs tapes is an oooooold activity that fans do. Most of us are proud of our recorded-at-home vhs tapes collections, appart of our original-merchandising collections, of course. So, the activity of recording anime on tapes is almost extinct since the masification of internet and dvd-recording-systems, but it never was bad-seen.

My question is
is this activity bad-seen by other countrie's fans? is it even illegal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:25 am Reply with quote
I still have stuff I recorded off ANIMAX in the Philippines...

I've been told it's technically okay since I paid for my CABLE and stuff

I guess, it's like nostalgia... like, how you felt when you first saw it on TV or something
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:42 am Reply with quote
It has never been illegal to record off TV in most countries since the technology was invented for home use. That process is called "time shifting", or in other words "recording now to watch later" and that has always been agreed amongst equipment makers and studios back in the early days. But the caveat is "as long as you keep it at home and don't try to distribute it outside for any reason." Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
remember love

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:49 am Reply with quote
Bosque wrote:
Sorry for the horrible grammar in the question but my english isn't very good (my native languaje is spanish).

At least here in my country (Chile), recording tv anime on vhs tapes is an oooooold activity that fans do. Most of us are proud of our recorded-at-home vhs tapes collections, appart of our original-merchandising collections, of course. So, the activity of recording anime on tapes is almost extinct since the masification of internet and dvd-recording-systems, but it never was bad-seen.

My question is
is this activity bad-seen by other countrie's fans? is it even illegal?

Welp not in the USA. Never been seen bad here....I wonder if it's been banned anywhere in the world? Never thought about it but I could see some movie companies getting angry but never winning against it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:59 am Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Arkard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote
Well I am relatively safe here. I`ve never heard anyone enforce some kind of rule or law that wouldnt allow taping of your fav shows. And if that sort of person ever showed his ugly little head here, I asure you he would be laughed away by a vast majority of our society.
Why exactly do most people own VCRs? Well there is only one answer to it - to record. Why shouldnt they do that? Statistically, in Poland, more people own VCRs than computers, and we do have a shitload of computers here Wink So there is no problem. Recording is never looked at something bad here.
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:09 am Reply with quote
I think it's legal to record shows from TV because the networks have to pay these royalties to the companies who produce the shows to make up for the people who record them or something like that (I don't know all the details about it), isn't it? Anyway, it's always been legal to record TV shows here in the U.S. as long as you don't sell or rent your recorded VHS tapes to anyone.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Number Six

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It has never been illegal to record off TV in most countries since the technology was invented for home use. That process is called "time shifting", or in other words "recording now to watch later" and that has always been agreed amongst equipment makers and studios back in the early days. But the caveat is "as long as you keep it at home and don't try to distribute it outside for any reason." Wink

Not exactly. When Sony came out with a home version of its VCR in the early 1980's, the studios raised all kinds of hell about it. They claimed that the device was a machine used to "steal" their product, they would be driven out of business, etc, etc. The studios sued Sony claiming that home recording was copyright infringement. The studios lost. The US Supreme Court held that time shifting constituted fair use. This is often referred to as the "Betamax case". Rather than "agreeing" that home recording was fair use, the studios were dragged kicking and screaming to that conclusion.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:00 am Reply with quote
Number Six wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Not exactly. When Sony came out with a home version of its VCR in the early 1980's, the studios raised all kinds of hell about it. They claimed that the device was a machine used to "steal" their product, they would be driven out of business, etc, etc. The studios sued Sony claiming that home recording was copyright infringement. The studios lost. The US Supreme Court held that time shifting constituted fair use. This is often referred to as the "Betamax case". Rather than "agreeing" that home recording was fair use, the studios were dragged kicking and screaming to that conclusion.
Well it just highlights that there are many ways of coming to agreements. Some easy, some hard. Wink
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:44 am Reply with quote
Number Six wrote:
This is often referred to as the "Betamax case". Rather than "agreeing" that home recording was fair use, the studios were dragged kicking and screaming to that conclusion.

There is some speculation that a case like this may come up again in the next few years, with the intention of rolling back parts of it. We've gotten hints of it on the Napster cases and at least two Justices Scalia and Thomas (the ones Bush likes and is likely to nominate more of) said they would have voted against it.

All the Best,

Nani?
kainzero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was illegal to record anything off of the TV...

At least, that's what I thought the big deal was about DVRs and TiVos...

And whenever you watch an NBA game or an NFL game, that guy that talks in between the commericials says something like "Any reproduction of this game without express written consent from the NFL is punishable by law." Or something like that... they even spoofed it in Family Guy. =P
Number Six

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
There is some speculation that a case like this may come up again in the next few years, with the intention of rolling back parts of it. We've gotten hints of it on the Napster cases and at least two Justices Scalia and Thomas (the ones Bush likes and is likely to nominate more of) said they would have voted against it.

While I'm sure the recording companies and movie studios would be licking their chops at the prospect of reversing the Betamax case, I doubt that it will happen wholesale. However, it woudn't surprise me to learn they have some sort of strategy of chipping away at it. The digital age offers them several new opportunities to try to protect their antiquated business model.

Right now I rip my DVD's to play the video on my laptop and PDA because I used to take a lot of business trips and wanted to take my video (but not my discs) with me. I could even do the same with my recordings of, say, Naruto, that I currently have on my Tivo. That is the kind of activity they will probably claim is illegal.

As for Bush picks being more likely to side with the studios, maybe, maybe not. Thurgood Marshall, who was by no stretch of the imagination a conservative, voted against Sony in the original case.

kainzero wrote:
I thought it was illegal to record anything off of the TV...

Thats what the content providers would love for people to think. It is legal to record anything off of TV for your own personal use.

kainzero wrote:
At least, that's what I thought the big deal was about DVRs and TiVos...

The "problem" with DVR's and Tivo's is that the recordings are digital and so they can be reproduced without loss of quality.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:00 am Reply with quote
I can't speak for other countries, but as I understand it the situation in the UK is that strictly speaking it's only legal to record programmes from 'public service' stations like the BBC and ITV and then only stuff that they have made themselves. It's not legal to record anything else, including anime (we wish), although the practice is tolerated for time-shifting purposes. Channels that can only be received after taking out some kind of contract, like satellite and cable channels, operate on a different basis. There, it's generally illegal to record anything at all, but again recording for time-shifting is tolerated for most things except pay-per-view, where they often enable Macrovision to make things "impossible to record" (ok, if you say so).
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Bosque wrote:
My question is . . . is this activity bad-seen by other countrie's fans? is it even illegal?

As long as you don't use the material without the express written consent of Major League Baseball and their affiliates, otherwise Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds come to your house armed with baseball bats, and they won't be taking you to the ballfield to watch a home run contest. Laughing

But seriously since my sister's been in the Army I've taped so much Japanese anime and sent it to her overseas that if it were illegal I'd be serving life in jail for overseeing a tape recording/foreign smuggling operation. Seriously.
Number Six

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
Bosque wrote:
My question is . . . is this activity bad-seen by other countrie's fans? is it even illegal?

As long as you don't use the material without the express written consent of Major League Baseball and their affiliates, otherwise Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds come to your house armed with baseball bats, and they won't be taking you to the ballfield to watch a home run contest. Laughing

No problem. Just give 'em a bag of steroids and they'll go away happy. Very Happy

The Frankman wrote:
But seriously since my sister's been in the Army I've taped so much Japanese anime and sent it to her overseas that if it were illegal I'd be serving life in jail for overseeing a tape recording/foreign smuggling operation. Seriously.

I think if you asked the studios about this, they'd tell you this is illegal. Mind you, I'm not saying it is, but just don't ask the studios. However, I don't think you have anything to worry about since they have bigger things to worry about than VHS tapes. Things like P2P file sharing and people like me who move their media across the different devices I own, remove region encoding so I can watch all my DVD's on my R1 player, etc...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1