• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex of America to Release Oreimo, Garden of Sinners on DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Please just be happy it's coming out at all.. why can't anime fans every be happy about anything... are we all that damn selfish??

Xanas wrote:

To be a little more selfish, could you please not use nested quotes upon nested quotes just to make a one-liner that's not particularly meaningful? You can't bring people together by pointing out that they are "selfish" when the whole point of capitalism is that people buy things that they want expecting more than they paid, so when they see something they don't want to buy and say why they won't, you act as though it's worse for us to bother saying why we don't like it even though this at least gives Aniplex the opportunity to know what we are thinking when we don't purchase.

But I suppose we could just say nothing and let everyone be "happy" and Aniplex could be blissfully ignorant of why people don't purchase from them.

This is my god damn point anime 90% fans are selfish bastards. Let me just finish this for once yeah it's capitalism but the market doesn't work for them do a dub they don't turn a huge profit like funimation. No onwards with my rant anime fans in general are just a bunch people sitting in huge circle jerk waiting for some to jack them off and when they finally get that wish it's not good enough for them.

Fans complain about fan-subs ruining the industry then we get legal streaming which gives an option to watch show legally. Fans complain about the streaming be low quailty or then complain about there being no karaoke op/ed's or honorifics in the official subs. Then a show gets licensed on DVD/blu-ray fans bitch about the subs on the dvd/blurays because they are yellow or white with black boarder not colorful like my fan-subs. Then they announce a series is going to be subbed only then everyone complains about their being no dub with no legit reason "that people will say".

Then companies announce it's DVD only and the quailty isn't good enough for me, i need more pixels or higher quailty " a pass but still not enough reason to not buy something"... do you see where the fudge I am heading with this logic of the fan-base. Nothing pleases anyone in this damn fan-base anymore so yeah I am going to add to the circle-jerk by bitching on the fan-base.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:17 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Where's John Casey? I want his take on the KnK rerelease. Laughing

Really though, it's great that a mass-market (by Aniplex standards, I assume) release is coming down the pipe, but it's sad it'll be DVD only.

Oh, by the way Aniplex, since you're apparently getting into OST releases: how about releasing those for KnK?

Last edited by Big Hed on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234, why do you feel the need to quote everything I wrote instead of just the relevant portions? It's a waste of space.

Now in regards to your rant, I spend thousands of dollars a year on anime. I mostly buy from Funimation these days, since they are the only ones doing what I want on every show. But I do buy Sentai releases when they have what I'm looking for, or if I really love the series I'll buy it hoping they'll dub it later (I did this with Clannad, and it actually worked out strangely enough).

I've also bought Aniplex releases when it suited me, such as PMMM, which I was perfectly happy with, even if I thought it was totally uncompetitive, I still did it. But that's because they met the requirements that I had for spending that much, 1) it had a lot of extras, 2) it had BD, 3) it had a dub.

I actually didn't need them to meet all 3 of those requirements, but at least 2 of them are important for me to want to spend a ton of dollars more than I'm paying normally.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
@Xanas

Okay I fixed it and thank you for pointing out your legit reasons most fans are not that willing to "or the ones I have talked to in forums".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Please just be happy it's coming out at all.. why can't anime fans every be happy about anything... are we all that damn selfish??

I don't think everybody is selfish. I've bought LEs and I've been happy. I've double dipped for some stuff and I'm happy I did. I think its just that when things start to get to a certain price point people tend to weigh the value of what they are getting. This usually means looking at all the details of what they are getting and placing priorities on the ones that are most important to them. So, some people want a dub, others an artbox is a must, for some BD, etc. This is how people decide if something is worth the price. Its the same thing as buying a car. When I've bought one high priorities were ABS, airbags, etc. Low priorities were like paint color, etc. When its a big investment (car, or big part of your anime budget) its easy to get frustrated when you don't get what you want. At least that's the way I look at it. Then there's the people who are never happy evarr!! But that's a different issue... Wink
fireaxe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Xanas wrote:
It's the fact that they are not releasing a dub and they are doing this on DVD instead of BD. If they were doing a BD without a dub, I could respect it somewhat, but no dub and no BD... very annoying.

But the reason that they're not releasing Kara no Kyoukai on BD (in a cheaper release) is because they want to protect their sales in Japan. Lots and lots of otaku in Japan bought the KnK BD box set, the same one that had so many people on this side of the ocean grumbling. Now, it has only been a year since that has been released. If Aniplex USA were to sell a similar BD set for $100 MSRP or so, that damages their relations with the buyers of those who bought the initial set, considering they're offering it 80% cheaper. So next time there is a box set release in Japan, if just a few thousand of those otaku now wait for the eventual cheaper release then Aniplex loses a lot of money. More money than what they made by selling the cheaper set here in North America. And that's the problem.

For something like Baccano which isn't very popular in Japan, they were able to make a BD set available for relatively quite cheap (I think 50 or 60 bucks?). But for anything that is really popular in Japan, I expect to see the same release style for Aniplex titles. If there is a BD release for such titles, then it'll be done like Madoka Magica.

Pretty much. Nobody would buy the 2nd super-expensive BD boxset of Fate/Zero if it was known that a cheaper BD-set for the first season is going to be released in 6 months. And that's valid for sales over in Japan, AND import sales through Aniplex USA (which Garden of Sinners proved us, aren't marginal). They found and effective way to make profits, they're not going to shoot themselves in the foot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Yes, many are. There's a lot of entitlement. I know many corrupt selfish fans. For instance, one loves dubs. However, he pirates these dubs, and never watches anime through legal means, other than the TV. His justification of piracy is "If it's not on [adult swim], I have a right to pirate it." He thinks Megaupload getting taken down, interfering with his Dragon Ball rewatch is the US becoming a dictatorship.

Basically, he's his own worst enemy. Thanks to people like him, dubs aren't really profitable anymore. Many who want them aren't even attempting to support the companies who need MONEY to dub. Dubbing ain't free.

Some of this stuff makes my brain hurt. Seriously, a Blu-ray and a dub can come later. Remember when Clannad was released subbed-only? We later got a dub due to good sales, and later on the Blu-ray. After Story will be on Blu-ray here at some point as well.

People should be thankful we're getting this at all. What would you rather have, paying $1000 for the OOP BD on Amazon, or a DVD that may end up having a dub for under $100? I sure as hell will take the later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
duomaxwelldoesddr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:

Oh, by the way Aniplex, since you're apparently getting into OST releases: how about releasing those for KnK?

Yuki Kajiura definitely brought her A-game when she composed arrangements for KnK. Although I got the OST for the 7th movie when I imported the limited edition of it (only a few months before the LE blurays were announced), I would love to collect the rest and I'm sure many others would as well.
lem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
I missed out on buying Garden from TRSI the first time around so this is good news to me.

takachsh wrote:
blaizevincent wrote:
As for Dub i couldnt care less if there is one or not for either show. In my world if there is a Dub i watch it Dubbed, if not I watch it subbed. Can't and never will understand this Dub vs Sub nonsense.

This, this and this some more. Having a release for R1 consumers is what should take priority over a dub. We should be thankful firstly to even geat a legit R1 release and secondly thank the companys who do give us dub as a choice. I will never understand the concept of, No Dub = No Buy.

yes. this and more. You hit it right on the nose. we should always be thankful and appreciate what others work hard to bring for our enjoyment, in whatever language it is.

The public "I'm entitled, gimme gimme, you owe me, screw you big meanie Aniplex" type posts here are tiresome. Honestly, who in their right mind wants or needs to see these over and over? If we can have Spoiler Tags, then shouldn't the moderators be able to apply a "SPOILED BRAT" or a " Here's Some Cheese" Tag for these whiny one liners?
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

If they can't do this, they really should just license these things out to someone else and cut the overhead of having a US office. There are still plenty of series not as good as this that are getting released by the other outfits so I'm sure someone could get the license unless they are trying to overcharge for it.

Does it really matter who gets what if the licensor gimps the licensee in what they can release? I really doubt that Aniplex JP would give BD rights to Sentai or Funimation if they seriously wanted the license.
nx6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Uh, no. Plus sometimes there are crap Blu-rays, and people will want to stick with their DVD's. I mean look at what happened to FLCL and Shakugan no Shana. These all want to make me barf.
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1906418&postcount=165
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=87427
http://i.imgur.com/LmCTI.jpg

You realize that those were upscales, whereas both of these releases are native HD right? Also some upscales on bluray can look better than dvd's depending on how they are encoded.

KnK is not native HD. Only the final chapter (Epilogue) was. The rest are upconverts. Ask any of the pirating groups that did encodings of the JDM BD set.

People encoded them because the BD release allowed MUCH more video bandwidth for better quality and didn't have the artifacts the DVDs had.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
THIS. Beg and beg and beg...then bitch? NO SENSE. It makes me embarrassed to read some of these replies. No wonder we don't get nice things. Quit being so damn fickle, fans.

This rhetoric is completely transparent. You're intentionally ignoring the fact that we're getting an inferior DVD version in order to frame this as some sort of utterly inconceivable action that makes literally no sense. That's just deliberately manipulative though. You know full well why people are complaining. They wanted a BD, not a DVD. You don't have to agree with that complaint but pretending to be oblivious to it entirely is just dishonest.

I'm happy about plenty of things. So are most if not all of the other complainers I'm sure. Hence, this criticism really does not apply. Unless of course you're suggesting people shouldn't complain about anything which is simply absurd.

ShanaFan852 wrote:
You are not entitled to a BD, and cheap prices.

You need to stop using that word, "entitled". It has become an empty buzzword to be tossed at any complaint you don't like and has lost any real meaning.

Obviously I'm not "entitled" to a BD. I am entitled to spend my money as I please however and I most certainly choose not to spend it on a company that expects me to settle for an inferior version of their product just so they can gouge people on the better version.

Quote:
At least you're getting it in a more affordable release. Do you seriously want the DVD to not come, and for the BD to remain at inflated prices?

This is a false dilemma. Just because I object to the lack of an affordable BD release hardly means I must be saying I wish we weren't getting a DVD either.

Quote:
What would you rather have, paying $1000 for the OOP BD on Amazon, or a DVD that may end up having a dub for under $100? I sure as hell will take the later.

Again, a false dilemma. You make it sounds like a super expensive BD and a cheap DVD are simply the only possible options. Why though? Why should we be forced to settle for such an unpleasant choice?

lem wrote:
The public "I'm entitled, gimme gimme, you owe me, screw you big meanie Aniplex" type posts here are tiresome. Honestly, who in their right mind wants or needs to see these over and over? If we can have Spoiler Tags, then shouldn't the moderators be able to apply a "SPOILED BRAT" or a " Here's Some Cheese" Tag for these whiny one liners?

Say what you will about the complainers. the amount of whiny butthurt in this post is by far as bad as any of them. It's just differently directed.
gothicangel89

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Oh for god's sake Aniplex, release some freaking blurays. That was the reason I didn't buy OreImo the first time around. I just found out about Kara no Kyoukai fairly recently and have been looking to find some way to watch it legally (all I had found was PSN), but no bluray for that either?

Really, people need to stop buying dvds and the industry needs to start doing bluray only releases to push the consumer to upgrade to bluray. I mean come on... Anime cry

Seriously? Just Blu-ray release? I have to let you know that not ALL anime fans own a blu-ray player, especially me. All I ever use to watch anime is my laptop. That's all.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
Shanafan:
Quote:
Maybe with this, complaints on Aniplex's imports will finally die down, along with the insults being thrown at those who have bought them (I bought Fate/Zero for example).

Well, if you wanna be a sucker, that's your problem. But that kind of money could've gone to companies who actually need it.

Quote:
You are not entitled to a BD, and cheap prices.

No, but you're entitled to fair prices reflecting actual demand for the show in that format, rather than overinflated numbers which have no bearing on what it would cost to release it.

Quote:
Remember when Clannad was released subbed-only? We later got a dub due to good sales, and later on the Blu-ray. After Story will be on Blu-ray here at some point as well.

Yeah, but people supported Clannad, because ADV/Sentai was in dire straits, and it might never get another R1 release. Aniplex is on better financial footing, and can release its stuff in line with R1 prices. But they lied about it, because they wanted to make a quick buck.

blaize:
Quote:
Have a Premium set and if it sells out then make a few more. Someone will lose out eventually but at least 90% of those who wanted it would get it.

Yeah, but then they can't jack up demand for a show which probably sell poorly or average under different circumstances. Cool

BTW, what did I say about how they probably have an overstock of this shit, but they tried to spin it as a limited run, in order to justify higher prices?

blaize:
Quote:
Aniplex USA are a Niche company within a Niche industry and their buisness strategies are likely to reflect that throughout their Span of exsistance.

Um, they're a subsidy of Sony.

050709:
Quote:
Well aren't all the people who complained about the import price and the, "They are never going to give Garden of Sinners a NA release" red in the face now! I'm a predicting the same treatment for Fate/Zero in the future.

Probably. No one would buy it otherwise.

One-Eye:
Quote:
So what, NA is not Japan. So I should feel sorry for the Japanese that they pay $500 and therefore pay the same prices?

Especially since North Americas at least get to stream KnK before they decide they like it.

Quote:
We pay $75 "discounted" at RightStuf for Madoka LE and yet the Italians get to pay $50 for their LE.

The Italians have a shitty economy coupled with a larger consumer base for anime.

takash:
Quote:
So your stating that if enough people "hate" Aniplex, they will have no choice in the matter except to reconsider their priorities as a company to satisfy the needs of a small niche of consumers? Yes that sounds like such a logical plan towards making Aniplex change their ways while also forcing them towards going bankrupt in the process.

Worked for Bandai Visual. Too bad their parting gift was taking down Bandai Entertainment with them. Mad

Megiddo:
Quote:
One thing you will have to understand is that Aniplex USA is a sister company, and that Aniplex cares far more about their sales in Japan than those abroad.

Sure they do. That's why they simulcast Kenshin.

Quote:
For something like Baccano which isn't very popular in Japan, they were able to make a BD set available for relatively quite cheap (I think 50 or 60 bucks?).

But their price for R.O.D. on Blu-Ray still blows.

fireaxe:
Quote:
Pretty much. Nobody would buy the 2nd super-expensive BD boxset of Fate/Zero if it was known that a cheaper BD-set for the first season is going to be released in 6 months.

And I definitely wouldn't have bought the first volume of Madoka if I knew it was streaming on Crunchyroll. Aniplex knows this, which is why it's trying to collect before enough people catch on.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
WTB blu-rays because that's the only release I missed badly and the only show I paid above 700$ in my life is Macross Frontier >.<
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11