• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for an anime with romance...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kasi_jo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I know that sound kind of stupid but I'm really in the mood for something romantic. I have not found really anything in an anime to meet my needs. I've read tons and tons of manga that fall into this catagory but I havn't found an anime yet that isn't just completely sappy and gag worthy. Granted they're are some that peaked my interest but I just want to make sure that I'm not missing any that I should absolutly see. I, also, don't care if there is anything else involved with the series, i.e. fantasy plots, or a lot of action, just so long as there is a solid romance involved. If you know of any that I must check out please list them and give a brief discription and why you like them! That would help me out a bunch!! Thank you!!
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Here are two oldies but are really good. Maison Ikokou and Kigamure Orange Road. Both are old but really well done. Right now I can only remember the episode count for KOR and it is 48 episodes in lenght if i'm not mistaken.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I need help as well, I'm trying to find something anime with noromance.

If you really want something extremely juicy, look up Tsubasa Chronicles. The romance in that one is so heavily underlined I feel embarassed sometimes.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:27 am Reply with quote
I suggest Ai Yori Aoshi, good story great characters, and could probabally appeal to both men and women alike but more of a romance for guys. I just finished it myself.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:15 am Reply with quote
I would go for Love Hina it is verry funny and ther is some pretty great romances. I think it would be a romance for everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:15 am Reply with quote
This year's best romance (from an American release perspective), by far, is Koi Kaze, which is about an adult brother and teenaged sister who are reunited after more than a decade of separation and find themselves falling in love with each other despite the incest taboo. Once you get by the creepiness of the concept you'll find it to be a gentle, touching, exquisitely-paced, and masterfully-written story of forbidden love that's like nothing else on the market right now. It's also even based in fact, since the propensity of siblings who haven't been raised together to fall in love with each other is a documented psychological phenomenon.

Last year's best romance was Saikano, another story about love in an unconventional situation. In this case a high school senior is falling in love with a girl who turns out to be an ultimate weapon. Rather than a sci-fi action story, it's actually an emotional and extremely well-written tragic love story about a couple desperately trying to stay together despite some monumental problems (he's disturbed by what she is becoming, she's struggling to latch onto her last vestiges of humanity).

Ai Yori Aoshi is probably the best pick amongst the more typical harem romantic comedy series. It's the only one that I've come across where the central couple just feels right together.

(Edited for silly typo)

Last edited by Key on Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote
Voices of a Distant star might be a good one. It's about a couple who are seperated by war and as the boy moves further and further away from Earth in space thier messages take longer and longer to get to each other and she ages much quicker than he does. I personally thought it was great.
XenoCrisis0153

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Kyle Smyth wrote:
Voices of a Distant star might be a good one. It's about a couple who are seperated by war and as the boy moves further and further away from Earth in space thier messages take longer and longer to get to each other and she ages much quicker than he does. I personally thought it was great.

You got that backwards. SHE went to space and even though he was still on Earth, they still aged at the same rate. They only showed him getting older because they were showing what he looked like when he finally got her text messages (in other words, it WAS seven years later).

Hmmm, romance, let's see... some consider Please! Teacher to be a good romance. It's between a high-school student and his alien teacher, I thought it was a little ridiculous, but it does focus heavily on their relationship. Please! Twins is kinda the same way (better IMO) but focuses on a love triangle surrounded by the mystery of one of the girls possibly being the boy's long-lost twin sister.

Chobits is a romance tale with a new-age twist involing a young man falling in love with a computer-android who may or may not have human emotions. That's all I've seen as far as romance, but as mentioned before, you could always look into Love Hina for nostalgic purposes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Kyle Smyth wrote:
Or girl as the case might be. Wink
fosterjd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I finished watching His and Her Circumstances and would very highly reccomend it. Its got humour, great characters, and handles the growth of the characters with some great perspective changes and first person narratives (with in depth psych perspectives).
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I suggest Ai Yori Aoshi, good story great characters, and could probabally appeal to both men and women alike but more of a romance for guys. I just finished it myself.

Does not appeal to women. That show's a boob-fest, why would women waste their time watching it?

Quote:
I would go for Love Hina it is verry funny and ther is some pretty great romances. I think it would be a romance for everyone.

No, not everyone. This also doesn't appeal to women. Same reason as the above - most girls don't like harem fan-service shows. Same goes for those Please! shows.

Honestly, the only romance anime I've found that can actually appeal to women and men equally is Tenshi na Konamaiki. It's not avialable in America and probably never will be because it's an older title, but the manga is being released here as "Cheeky Angel." It's...well, for once I actually enjoyed the anime more than the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I've met some female fans of the Ai Yori Aoshi actually, at least two of which in person in the manga section of my local book store reading it on two seperate ocasions. A few others online as well. I've also met guys that have liked series like Gravitation and Golden Boy which are targeted to women mostly, stranger things have happened.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:45 pm Reply with quote
From my experience the finest romance anime are Maison Ikkoku, Video Girl Ai and Onegai Teacher.. they gave chills and goosebumps and had my full attention while watching..YES..its that good Very Happy

EDIT: Darn..forgot Koi Kaze.. its one of its kind masterpiece..creepy yes...but its breathtaking in every way. Highly recommend it !
Luminescence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I wholeheartedly second both Koi Kaze and Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances). They are perhaps my two favorite Romance series of all time.

I also highly recommend Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. It's about a boy who finds himself trapped between loving two girls who, in one way or another, have become very important to him during his life. To complicate matters, the two girls start out as best friends. Each episode builds wonderfully upon the last, right up until the conclusion that will either have you raising your hands in joy or pounding your fists against the wall in fury. Wink I thought it was one of the best Romance series I had ever seen, until I saw Koi Kaze and almost forgot about it Laughing But seriously, it's still really worth your time--I lent it to a friend who generally doesn't watch much romance anime, and both he and his girlfriend were seriously impressed.

Saikano was somewhat enjoyable for me, but at the risk of being torn apart by its fans, I can honestly say that I didn't enjoy it as much as the aforementioned three series. It was touching, yes, especially in the final episodes, but there's just something that turned me off about the series...maybe it was the red lines that perpetually graced the cheeks of almost all the characters and sometimes even exceeded the boundaries of their faces (...just kidding...sorta Confused). Or perhaps I simply got tired of Chise and her boyfriends' personalities, or perhaps I felt that the episodes started falling into a discernible pattern (which of course I won't spoil). Whatever it might have been, I stopped watching the series after two episodes and didn't return to it until this past summer. Still, I recommend that you give it a try.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I would add Place Promised in our Early Days by Mokoto Shinkai, in some ways very simular to his earlier work, Voices of a Distant Star with separation as a theme.

All the Best,

Nani?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2