• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for a serious Martial arts anime....

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Rukia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I am looking for a series to watch that looks at the more serious side of the martial arts instead of just an anime series that fights alot. Anyone got any ideas?
Nirvana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I believe Ikkitousen and Tenjo tenge would be good animes.... I didn't really like these two to be honest, but many others liked them. Checkt hem out if you awnt, i believe they're just 13 eps so... yeah.

Edit: Actually I think Tenjo tenge has 24
Iemander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Well there's the insanely popular Fighting Spirit aka Hajime no Ippo. I liked it a little, couldn't say the theme interested me much, felt like something that would be better off live action instead of animated.

To be honest I would sugest you go out and hire all of Bruce Lee's films, then go out and find all of Jacky Chan's oldies.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't think theres many martial arts anime out there cept the ones based off fighting games. Your better off looking into the suggested Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan films as well as Jet Li. If you do look into those kinds of movies than I suggest Ong Bak starring Tony Jaa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Shura no Toki is a pretty solid martial arts series. It follows a martial arts dynasty from the begining of the Tokugawa period through the end of it. No super powers, although the main characters tend to be much stronger fighters than seems realistic (no fireballs or anything though).
RoseWhip

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote
Try Baki the Grappler, pretty good martial arts-ness there. Also Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter, Tenjho Tenge, Street Fighter.
Neclord516

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
Well there's the insanely popular Fighting Spirit aka Hajime no Ippo. I liked it a little, couldn't say the theme interested me much, felt like something that would be better off live action instead of animated.

I would second Hajime no Ippo. This anime is my favorite anime of all time. The boxing action is very well done and the characters are developed thoroughly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Phyrain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
The only anime that comes to Mind is Fist of the north star, I know its completely unrealistic, but they put so much detial into his style its believable.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:45 am Reply with quote
How about SHOOTFIGHTER TEKKEN? *Tough*

That was pretty good... although, not a whole lot of people have seen it
son_michael

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:06 am Reply with quote
the later episodes of dragon ball heavilly focus on martial arts, which sets up all the techniques used in dbz

believe it or not, theres actually an official japanese book listing all of the techniques in the dragon ball series and the techinques number in the hundreds.

The ultimate dbz information site, had this complete list{japanese name of technique and the translated english name} but I dont think that site is around anymore

the dragon ball series has so many fighting techniques, itll deffinetley quench your thirst

some examples are

the buku jutsu{the art of flying}
shin ni ko hou{funimation name= Tri beam}
shi shin no ken{funimation name= multi form}
kienzan{funimation name= destructo disc}
taiyoken{funimation name= solar flare}
makan ko sapo[funimation name= special beam cannon}
suki dan{Yamchua's attack that he can move with his ki}
dodonpa{an energy attack that comes out of 1 finger}

there are hundreds more, dbz has alot to offer in terms of techniques

good news, the site is still up http://www.thegrandline.com/dbzinfo/frames.html

check out all the insane techniques, by going to the"fist of the dragon" section
takuhii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:32 am Reply with quote
What about the bizarre Apocalypse Zero? This is heavily fighting, with a very bloody battle at the end. A few websites consider this title Hentai though. I haven't seen it personally, but apparently if you liked Fist of the North Star, you'll like this.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:55 am Reply with quote
Hajime no Ippo is a good anime, but the manga and 100000000000x much better. Due to the popularity of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) emphasizing on the pyschology of boxing from time to time, I would now consider boxing to be a martial art.

I wouldn't call these "martial arts" anime but fighting anime, but I do also reccomend Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball, Hokuto no Ken, and Fatal Fury and Street Fighter II V.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1