• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question about Mahoromatic Anime Ending in Relation to Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure whether to expect a reply to this any time soon, as most questions I glanced at pertaining to particular series/episodes don't appear to get speedy answers if at all, but if anyone could help me with this I would really appreciate it. I recently finished watching Mahoromatic's second season/series. I know that since the show was completed before the manga and thus had a different ending, and although I found the ending to be quite emotionally impacting, I felt it kind of ruined the series, as spoiler[after Mahoro dies, Suguru's life seems to be pretty much ruined, and the dreams of practically everyone in the series seem to be destroyed. The result of Mahoro's coming into everyone's life basically, with that ending, is that everyone's life is screwed up. The results seem to be the exact opposite of what Mahoro would have wanted, and, even if you choose to think that at the end Mahoro came back twenty years later, I still find it very sad.]

If anyone knows how the manga ended, please tell me, would I find it more satisfying? Although it feels kind of weird to feel this strongly about an anime, I know I'm not the first person to feel that way and would be happier knowing that at least one version of the canon ended in a less spoiler[nihilistic] manner. I'm not expecting a necessarily happy ending, considering the story's nature, just hoping for one that makes it seem less like spoiler[Mahoro's responsible for ruining Suguru's life despite all her intentions to help him.]

Thank you to anyone who bothers to read and/or reply!
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I think you're way overstating the case about how the series ended. spoiler[The only person's life who was, arguably, ruined by Mahoro's involvement was Suguru's. It's strongly implied that Minawa fared much better in the long run, and we don't have any information about the rest of the cast members. I also think saying that Mahoro ultimately ruined Suguru's life is way too harsh.]

Besides, depending on your interpretation of the last episode, it was a somewhat happy ending in the long run.

As for how it compares to the manga? Only through the 5th volume, so I can't comment on that yet. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I may have overstated it as I had just seen the episode and the frustration was fresh in my mind, but the fact is that if Suguru had hired a regular maid at the beginning and Mahoro had gone on to do a different job, Suguru would have grown up normally with his friends he had prior to meeting her. Instead, his house was destroyed, he had to leave behind his friends and teacher, and suffered another huge loss that he never recovered from until Mahoro was possibly revived twenty years later. You do have a point about Minawa, though. I hadn't thought about her.]
robhersh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:26 am Reply with quote
Your feelings are not wrong and I would like to add my own interpretation to the ending, and thus the story as a whole.

spoiler[The fact that the ending left us with the unpleasant feeling of having been gutshot does not diminish the brilliance of the story telling. Mahoromatic was Shakespearean in scope. Gainax told a very touching love story in lightness and comedy, only to end it with the most heartbreaking tragedy imaginable.

The tragedy was not that Mahoro died. We knew she would die, if not quite so soon. There was no reasonable way to save Mahoro without the story tellers cheating on us. Furthermore, Mahoro died honorably--sacrificing herself to save Suguru's life. Please recall that Suguru was put in danger not by Mahoro, but by Suguru's grandfather (or more properly his grandfather's enemies.) Therefore, if not for Mahoro, Suguru would be dead instead. It was not within her power to preserve his happiness, and Suguru was doomed to crushing loneliness regardless of her involvement.

Recall also that it was not Mahoro's intention to fall in love with Suguru, but rather to serve him in penance for her role in the death of his father. In addition, Mahoro could not reasonably have predicted the impact she would have on Suguru. She wanted to serve. If one overthinks the possible ways that serving could lead to harm, then no one would ever serve. Suguru's subsequent inability to accept Mahoro's death was not her fault and certainly not her desire. This, however, is part of the human condition. Some people do become embittered with the loss of a loved one, and that truly is the tragedy.

However, at the very end Saint gifts Suguru with a precious "memory". With it, Suguru is now able to remember, reflect, and enjoy the good times and the love he shared with Mahoro, rather than dwelling on the loss so corrosive to his soul. This then truthfully is a happy ending, if not the ending we would have preferred (or think we preferred.)

Our vehement reactions to the ending are a testament to the quality of the story telling. If the love story didn't grab our hearts, then we wouldn't have much cared what happened at the end.
]

I personally feel that this is the second best anime ending I have yet seen, the first being that of Gunslinger Girl. Even so, Mahoromatic has the most touching and effective love story. If you know of any better, please tell me so that I may watch too.

Best regards,
Robert
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1