• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do anime stereotypes exist?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quintron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:37 am Reply with quote
ok, so, gaijin, very strictly, and were talking about kanji here, means: gai=outside/other, and jin=person, translating to outsider, or someone who doesnt belong. gaikokujin translates to: gai=outside/other, koku=country, jin=person, making it mean foreigner, as in someone specifically from another country.

i agree that the connotation is effected by its usage in a sentence, but in stricter terms the 2 do have different meanings. i also agree that gaijin can be used for any foreigner, especially white foreigners. the american thing comes from a rough assumption that white people come from america.

from my experience (6 years of studying japanese language, a degree in japanese studies, and living in japan for about a year now, which i teach language, so im constantly reminded of how it is used, in english and japanese) the two words do, in fact, have different connotations, and "gaijin" being more negative of the two.

there has to be a reason why everyone in my office uses gaikokujin when in reference to me, and why I've been told not to refer to myself as gaijin because, "its bad."

~Q
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:21 pm Reply with quote
When I think of American stereotypes in anime, Tatanabe from Ping Pong Club immediately comes to mind. I just hope the smelling bad thing is something specific to that character and not a part of the general stereotype.
Shouta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had Gaikokujin used many at all in the 8 years of study I have had (although I haven't been to Japan). All the people I've ever met use Gaijin rather than Gaikokujin. Perhaps it's a formality in the work atmosphere.

Yes, you're right if we were strictly speaking kanji that Gaikokujin means "foreigner" and that Gaijin means "outsider" but the context and usage of the word is essentially. You should know that kanji doesn't always equate to the actual usage of the word. Razz
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:49 pm Reply with quote
From my understanding Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo! was sposed to be a play on the wild American women, while Ayeka was sposed to be a play on the traditional Japanese women.
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Actually smelling bad as an American is a stereotype, Jeleinen. It has to do with a theory about eating too much meat, while eating fish doesn't make you stink as much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dannavy85

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:26 pm Reply with quote
In Anime with American cops they....

1) carry big guns

2) Have big partners

3) always have great car chases

4) Detectives look like Miami Vice rejects
Koumi addict

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:02 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean stereotypes for the anime itself or for the characters in it, or for the people watching them?

Emerje

Sorry for responding this late, all of the above but preferably the 1st option.

Stereotype: If an anime got into bad light, it will lose its popularity faster.
Victim: Pokemon.
Why? Pokemon got in trouble about the so-called "Seizure episode"
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:46 am Reply with quote
Koumi addict wrote:

You may be surprised, but that was actually the first mention of Pokemon in the US--December 16, 1997. The series didn't premiere in the States until September of '98.

-PLUG-
Behold the most complete Pokemon episode list on the Internet! And it's right here at ANN! ^_^
dannavy85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:54 am Reply with quote
Silent Service and their take on American naval officers....

way off target
Koumi addict

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:06 am Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Koumi addict wrote:

You may be surprised, but that was actually the first mention of Pokemon in the US--December 16, 1997. The series didn't premiere in the States until September of '98.

-PLUG-
Behold the most complete Pokemon episode list on the Internet! And it's right here at ANN! Anime smile

Yes I am!! Shocked

radicaledward wrote:
From my understanding Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo! was sposed to be a play on the wild American women, while Ayeka was sposed to be a play on the traditional Japanese women.

That reminded me of one Tenchi Muyo! in Tokyo ep where Ayeka was forcing a customer to take a cup of tea right after when the very same customer ordered a cup of coffee.

Another stereotype- about fanservice

If fanservice came in the form of a female character, she's seen as a sex object.

Examples: Fairymon, Shutumon, Izumi Orimoto (Digimon Frontier)
Cutey Honey, Sailor Moon
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2