• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Angels in Eva

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:11 am Reply with quote
I know they are based off of ones in mystical Judeo-Christian texts and stories but where could I maybe find these texts?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:32 am Reply with quote
A lot of it comes from the Dead Sea Scrolls and a Jewish Mysticism sect called Kabbala (I think that's what it's called).

I recommend going to the Eva forums at AnimeNation and asking this question there. You'll probably get far better information there.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure someone on the Myth Cafe mailinglist would be able to help you out. I don't think they've covered Eva while I started lurking, but someone there is bound to be able to help.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
There certainly isn't anything based on biblical canon.
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

Actually that little book called Revelations is allegedly inspiration for this series acording to Anno. That it's mixed with Shinto and a Jewish mysticism and the typical "odd" take Japanese have of western religion, especially because they tend not to be literal, unlike Tim Lahaye etc.

Also, the Essenes were the mystic sect that hid the dead sea scrolls (they were also the people who one Jesus of Nazereth was around when he went into the desert). Kabbalah is a Jewish mystic tradition which at times has been fairly othodox (Memomedies used it and put it on the same level of importance as the Talmud) but is currently fairly suspect.

All the Best,

Nani?
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
one3rd wrote:

Actually that little book called Revelations is allegedly inspiration for this series acording to Anno.

That may be true, but regarding the issue of angels, the Bible says very little. Only two angels are named, Michael and Gabriel, and angels are almost always described as having human form. The only exception to the human form is the somewhat confusing description of the cherubim in Ezekial and then again in revelation. Modern artists depict cherubs as little naked babies with wings, but that image has nothing to do with the biblical description. They are described as four-faced creatures, the face of a man, a lion, an ox, and an eagle, with six wings and covered with eyes all over. The idea of an angel being a giant cube, or a sphere, or any other of Anno's designs is most certianly not based on any sort of Christian idea.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:

That may be true, but regarding the issue of angels, the Bible says very little.

Indeed this is true. Which is why Eva draws from many sources. (such as Kaballah). Although the Bible's naming of angels is limited, as you say, there are many other documents, including the apocrypha, which mentions many more names, and goes into greater detail.
perro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
anybody know of the lance which is considred a sacred relic by christians that is way outside revelations and angels are said to have no definite or at times concievible shape.and yes there is tons of angels mentioned in the apocryphal texts.
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Nani? wrote:
one3rd wrote:

Actually that little book called Revelations is allegedly inspiration for this series acording to Anno.

That may be true, but regarding the issue of angels, the Bible says very little. Only two angels are named, Michael and Gabriel, and angels are almost always described as having human form. The only exception to the human form is the somewhat confusing description of the cherubim in Ezekial and then again in revelation. Modern artists depict cherubs as little naked babies with wings, but that image has nothing to do with the biblical description. They are described as four-faced creatures, the face of a man, a lion, an ox, and an eagle, with six wings and covered with eyes all over. The idea of an angel being a giant cube, or a sphere, or any other of Anno's designs is most certianly not based on any sort of Christian idea.

Actually, in Eva, "angel" is a bit of a mistranslation. "Apostle" is more appropriate. But, whatever Anno's influences, the end result was crazy and messed up.
bReAkDoWn^RT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I never knew eva etc..were in the bible/holy sacred scroll. Wow..
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
bReAkDoWn^RT wrote:
I never knew eva etc..were in the bible/holy sacred scroll. Wow..

You didn't read this thread, at all, did you? You just posted the first thing that came to mind, didn't you? Confess.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:

Actually, in Eva, "angel" is a bit of a mistranslation. "Apostle" is more appropriate.

Well, official mistranslation, since that is what Gainax wanted it to be. Nevertheless, the names used are those of angels.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quote
perro wrote:
anybody know of the lance which is considred a sacred relic by christians that is way outside revelations and angels are said to have no definite or at times concievible shape.and yes there is tons of angels mentioned in the apocryphal texts.

Oh you're talking about the Lance of Loginus which was said to be used in a battle during one of the Crusades. Also was a key item in the Blockbuster film Constantine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:

Oh you're talking about the Lance of Loginus which was said to be used in a battle during one of the Crusades. Also was a key item in the Blockbuster film Constantine.

Ehh, it was used to pierce the side of Jesus on the cross, and was searched for during the crusades.
Arkard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:30 am Reply with quote
Well.. as the story goes, when Jesus was hanging, nailed to the cross, it is said that one of the Legioners, named Longinus, pierced Jesus side to see if he was dead already. The blooded Spear, with time, was said to have became a holy artifact, giving its bearer unlimited power. It has traveled alot. From Macedonia, to Greece, to Germany and Turkey. And all this time it has been... upgraded? Razz People added gold pieces to it, little wings etc But it is said to be the same Spear. I think it is in some museum now.
Also, it is said that Hitler had it in his possesion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3