• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Black Rock Shooter TV Anime to Be Streamed Worldwide in 8 Subbed Languages

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
streaming the Black Rock Shooter television anime series worldwide with subtitles in eight languages on February 3.

Quote:
The streams of the latest episodes will be available every Friday at 11:00 p.m. in the following countries

Worldwide, eh?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
You mislinked English and Chinese, but otherwise, nice!

I'm probably late in saying this, seeing as the OVA's been out for awhile, but I honestly think this will be the breakaway hit anime this year, beating out even Madoka and Haruhi. In fact, it could very well be the Eva killer we've been waiting for.

A bit of a stretch, I admit. But you can imagine.
Won't do anywhere near as well as those. I promise.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
"English: United States, Canada
French: France, Belgium, Monaco, Switzerland, Andorra
Italian: Italy
German: Germany
Spanish: Spain, Mexico, Chile, Argentina
Korean: South Korea
Traditional Chinese: Taiwan
Simplified Chinese: Mainland China, Singapore"

Maybe you should look up the definition of "worldwide".
I'll get it from the usual sources then... Not like I have a choice.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Obligatory spoiler[but the show is going to suck so who cares?] comment.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
This is obviously some strange new usage of the word 'Worldwide' that I was not previously aware of.

When are people going to realise that if you're going to make an english-language version officially available you should, for a start, make it available in ENGLAND. It's our language for a start!

And the rest of the UK. Not forgetting our antipodean cousins down under.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Great news, but I hope the streaming quality will trump Nico Nico Douga's stream of Fate/Zero and be closer to quality of Niconico's recent series--and not just for one week, either (or better yet, have it on there, instead). CR's another hope, but I liked NND's subtitles more than their's for F/Z.

But as for any vaunted success declaration, let's not get too crazy. Yes, it may have worldwide potential, but there is that little thing called, "execution"…

On another note, they did a very nice job with the English site, which thankfully is not ravaged by a mangled translation. And with Aniplex producing it, I wonder if this will this be another Aniplex USA license…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mune

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
* The subtitled streams will not be accessible from within Japan.

Go figure, it's a subtitled worldwide stream except for inside Japan. Guess all those foreigners in Japan are out of luck...
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
Quote:
* The subtitled streams will not be accessible from within Japan.

Go figure, it's a subtitled worldwide stream except for inside Japan. Guess all those foreigners in Japan are out of luck...

Or they can just watch it on tv.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:

I just hope that it's better than the OAV.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:

Yep. Hope that wasn't sarcasm.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Sarcasm? No. The OAV was terrible. The show is going to be terrible, too. Asking for the show to be better than the OAV miiiiight not be asking too much, though.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure about what defines a "good" anime, but I personally think the Black Rock Shooter OVA, though hard to understand for some people and pretty slow-paced, was very well-done. It doesn't really target a specific kind of audience, but it definitely caters less toward people who are impatient to see out-spoken characters and complexity.

I mean, really, what made it "bad?" The fact that it wasn't to some peoples' tastes, or is there something about it that was cheap, powerless, and universally understood to be simply wrong?

I hope I see more like what I saw from the OVA in the anime.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
In terms of sales, I expect it'll be massive. It won't sell as well as Nise (which will likely sell near Madoka numbers), but it could do a good 30k.

If you mean from within Japan only, I wouldn't count on it after how poor the OVA did. I'm expecting part of this series to recap the OVA.

If you mean poor in terms of DVD/BD sales, keep in mind that they gave away tens of thousands of copies on 7-language DVDs by bundling it with 3 different popular magazines (Hobby Japan, Megami Magazine, which had a circulation of over 63,000 the year before the OAV was released, and Animedia) and two different figures (BRS figma and Nendoroid, both of which sold out in reissues several times). Too say there were 200k copies given away might be a low estimate. The retail copy wasn't made to sell the OAV to people, it was made to sell the extras, it's basically just a fan disc with a 30 second short and a behind the scenes feature along with the OAV.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
If you mean poor in terms of DVD/BD sales, keep in mind that they gave away tens of thousands of copies on 7-language DVDs by bundling it with 3 different popular magazines (Hobby Japan, Megami Magazine, which had a circulation of over 63,000 the year before the OAV was released, and Animedia) and two different figures (BRS figma and Nendoroid, both of which sold out in reissues several times). Too say there were 200k copies given away might be a low estimate. The retail copy wasn't made to sell the OAV to people, it was made to sell the extras, it's basically just a fan disc with a 30 second short and a behind the scenes feature along with the OAV.

Emerje

And even then, it still sold over 20k copies, which is very impressive.

http://dvdbd.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/ブ
%E3%83%A9%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E2%98%85%E3%
83%AD%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A
5%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC?sid=64d7780
40154cd6fa2199ad3ebb32191
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
In terms of sales, I expect it'll be massive. It won't sell as well as Nise (which will likely sell near Madoka numbers), but it could do a good 30k.

If you mean from within Japan only, I wouldn't count on it after how poor the OVA did. I'm expecting part of this series to recap the OVA.

Emerje

And that was the whole point behind the project, too. The producers themselves stated that they were trying a new business model, one with a worldwide focus, and BRS was the centerpiece of it. By all accounts, it was very successful, though I wish they made it easier to get ahold of the products in the U.S.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3