• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Getbackers..give it back!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rozzer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
Well I just purchased the first DVD of this series, because after reading what the synopsis is about, I thought it would be a fun and interesting watch. So after watching the first two episodes, I actually wanted to break this horrible DVD and curse at myself for ever spending the $24 dollars it costed to buy it. Never in my life have I ever seen such crap, the characters, their abilities and the development for each episode made me cringe. I almost wanted to sell this on Ebay or some other website, but I don't want to insult any other otaku's day by making them watch this horrible anime.

Here's a few things I absolutely laughed at and since I don't care to know their names, if you've seen the series you'll know who I'm talking about:

spoiler[
What your "power" lame guy with the blonde hair?
Oh I can use electricity to power this light bulb and use it to fry the bad guys!

And yours, funny looking guy with glasses and extremely long hair that shouldnt stand up straight but it does?
Oh I have the same thing as a Sharingan, but mine is much more retarded and I'll confuse you with a dinosaur! raawwr!
]

Now the whole idea for this series is a REALLY good idea, but I cannot understand how the creator could go so wrong with the worst idea for the main characters?

I think I've hated on this anime enough, and I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks of this steaming pile of garbage?
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
One of my favortes, but I like the manga better.

Krouno Akabane rocks.
Lucerne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:54 am Reply with quote
Well, I've watched the first half of the series and it really doesn't seem to be as bad as you're making it out to be. I mean, sure, Ginji has a pretty stupid "power", but as for Ban, his abilities are quite interesting.

As for the concept and story, I think they've got a pretty good storyline going and everything. All the episodes have their funny points, so it's not all that bad IMO.

So far, I've enjoyed this series and I don't think the creator was too off the mark at all with this one.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:26 am Reply with quote
it's a fun a shounen series if you're willing to lower your expectations. the fight scenes are cool.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:55 pm Reply with quote
It's a bad idea to judge a 49 episode series on two episodes.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Besides i like getbackers it has action and adventure and cute comedy like when they turn chibi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Rozzer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
It's a bad idea to judge a 49 episode series on two episodes.

If I can't even get past the first DVD I can't imagine it getting any better in my opinion.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
You know not all anime start off amazing in the first 2 episodes or so. If all anime had slow starts you'd probably hate all anime. You can at least see past the second volume then base your opinion on it. Getbackers is one my favourite series though i've only seen the first volume, i'm more into the manga version which is way better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Rozzer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
You know not all anime start off amazing in the first 2 episodes or so. If all anime had slow starts you'd probably hate all anime. You can at least see past the second volume then base your opinion on it. Getbackers is one my favourite series though i've only seen the first volume, i'm more into the manga version which is way better.

There were 5 episodes on the first DVD and I could not stand ANY of the episodes. This is just a series I personally do not like, and there's no way I can make myself rent the second volume to see if it gets any better.

I'm glad so many of you enjoy this series, but this just isn't for me! Anime hyper
dgreater1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Get Backers stole your $24??? If so, hire them to retrieve your money Laughing (they'll say yes for an easy job like that Laughing Laughing ) , Anyway... I know how you feel, but bear with it, and watch it to the end. If that still didn't change your mind, then it can't be help, the show isn't really meant for you Anime cry,

Oh Anyway... Akabane must be the coolest villain (is he really a villain or a semi villain? Anyway, I like the way he acts?) I've ever seen Anime smile
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
All this is opinionated, you know. I actually enjoyed the one episode I saw. Everyone likes what they like and dislikes what they dislike. I don't like DragonBall Z but I'm not making threads screming about how come I think it's so stupid.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote
One of my idiot fanboy friends kept yelling at me to watch it (in the same breath as Naruto and Gundam SEED, I might add), and at first, I thought that it was one of the stupidiest ideas I had ever heard. I quote him: "It's an anime about these two guys and one guy has electricity and the other one has an evil eye and they get back stuff for people and IT'S THE AWESOME!!1!!1!" Finally, just to shut him up, I watched it.

The first episode (which didn't happen in the manga) was intriguing, to say the least, but the next few episodes weren't as amazing as he was making them out to be, though Akabane was really cool. I really liked the style thing they had going, but something was lacking, almost like it was a case-of-the-week deal, but spread out over three episodes. However, once it got to the Mugenjou Arc (or Infinity Castle or Limitless Fortress, take your pick), it got really good and interesting in the long plot format. There were a few episodes that used titles like "Person vs. Person! Exclamation!" but even those were entertaining and advanced the plot. I couldn't get enough of it.

After that, it went back to some shorter stories before featuring a slightly shorter return to Mugenjou, but you could tell that they were running out of episodes and had too much material. I think it has one of my least favorite endings to a series, because you know that the manga went on from the last point and they just ran out of funding. But still, it's a great anime, and I recommend it to my friends (in a less fanboyish way than my other friend Anime smile + sweatdrop).

dgreater1 wrote:
Oh Anyway... Akabane must be the coolest villain (is he really a villain or a semi villain? Anyway, I like the way he acts?) I've ever seen Anime smile

Yeah, he's pretty freaking sweet. I'd say that he's officially a "villain" (if you want to use a dated, absolute term like that in anime Rolling Eyes) but he did ally with the GetBackers a few times and is officially freelance, so he can help good people or bad people. However, the fact that he loves to kill people and gets a thrill out of near-death fighting definately colors him shades darker than any other character.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I forgot who akabane is. wasn't the guy who has those sharp fingers and after he slices his oppent there is a J on the body.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Rozzer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote
coolGAL wrote:
I forgot who akabane is. wasn't the guy who has those sharp fingers and after he slices his oppent there is a J on the body.

That really could have used a spoiler tag, don't ya think? Rolling Eyes
coolGAL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Oops sorry how do you use a spoiler tag.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2