• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Horror Manga Recommendation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinSane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I have been reading Parasyte for a little while and I want to find out about other manga that are sort of similar to it. It doesn't have to be alien invasions but I really just want something that will scare the crap out of me. Although I watch a lot of horror movie and read horror novels I do not get scared easily. I want something with substance instead of shock value. Ichi the Killer would be a good example of what not to recommend. Also do not recommend Berserk or Hellsing which can fit into the horror genre because I am already currently reading them.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I want something with substance instead of shock value. Ichi the Killer would be a good example of what not to recommend.

Actually, Icci has more substance than most of the stuff out there; you've just got to stick through the graphic parts till the end, where Yamamoto ties his existentialist ramblings together with his characters. But it definitally isn't horror. I'll forgo they standard Uzumaki recommendation (which I think is slightly overated) and give you some underlooked choices:

Domu-A brilliant single volume work from the creator of Akira. Not a page is wasted with Domu as it spins a tale of urban degeneration through the warped eyes of amoral children. Not only is the innocence=evil idea disturbing, but there are some moments of shear terror, and this comes from someone who is very rarely scared by fiction, manga or otherwise. Not only a great horror/scifi tale, but overall a superb manga.

Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show -Bizarre and surreal, this isn't so much typical horror, but I'd still recommend it for its disturbing art and creepy story.

Homunculus-Again, not typical horror, but I find it far more disturbing than most stuff out there. From Hideo Yamamoto (Icci the Killer), Homunculus continues to use some of Icci's themes, but in a far more effective way. You won't find any over-the-top violence, but intead it examines the monsters within people that have been supressed by modern society. It's psychologically intense, and many of the images are truely disturbing.
JustinSane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote
By the way, I have been interested in Black & White for a while. What type of manga is that like?
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:21 am Reply with quote
People should probably note that a horror manga is something that usualy isn't "jump out scary." what is scary about something is the ability to comprehend what it might be like to go through the same experience. Those who just brush it off and say "that can never happen" are obviously not horror enthusiasts. However, one could be scared because a baby was tourtered and killed.

Berserk is classified as horror. So is Hellsing, I believe.
JustinSane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
People should probably note that a horror manga is something that usualy isn't "jump out scary." what is scary about something is the ability to comprehend what it might be like to go through the same experience. Those who just brush it off and say "that can never happen" are obviously not horror enthusiasts. However, one could be scared because a baby was tourtered and killed.

Berserk is classified as horror. So is Hellsing, I believe.

Yeah, I know... I already mentioned Berserk and Hellsing in my first post in this topic unless you were agreeing with me that those are considered horror manga. I'm kind of confused now...
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quote
JustinSane wrote:
By the way, I have been interested in Black & White for a while. What type of manga is that like?

Black and White defies conventional genres. I often like to call it a "psychedelic pop-culture fable". Think "A Clockwork Orange" mixed with "Stand by Me" on acid and you're heading in the right direction. There are moments of terror and uglyness, just as there are moments of beauty and joy. It's one of those things that has to be experienced, and I can't recommend it enough (http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=106). I'd definitally recommend it, and you can pick it up from amazon if you're unable to locate it at your comicbook store (it's been out of print for a while).
JustinSane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
JustinSane wrote:

Black and White defies conventional genres. I often like to call it a "psychedelic pop-culture fable". Think "A Clockwork Orange" mixed with "Stand by Me" on acid and you're heading in the right direction. There are moments of terror and uglyness, just as there are moments of beauty and joy. It's one of those things that has to be experienced, and I can't recommend it enough (http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=106). I'd definitally recommend it, and you can pick it up from amazon if you're unable to locate it at your comicbook store (it's been out of print for a while).

Sound like something right up my ally if it's anything similar to "A Clockwork Orange" (which happens to be my favorite book) than 9 times out of 10 I'll like it. Now all I have to do is get my hands on it... it sucks that it's flipped also.
Gemini Angel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I would check out Narutaru that is supposed to be a really scary horror; I also think it has something to do with alien invasion.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:24 am Reply with quote
There is a whole series of manga Called Hino Horror by the Japanese master Hideshi Hino, the first one entitled The Red Snake. The art is not very realistic, but the subject matter, which touches on the subconscious and the grotesque, really hits home.

Another series you might want to check out is Arm of Kannon by Yamaguchi about a young man who is taken over by the spirit of an ancient Buddhist relic. A mysterious swordsman is sent to help him while the government wants to harness his dark power.

I know this might be a little off but I consider Battle Royale horror. I know its shocking nature is all anybody ever talks about, but there are some great characters here who are forced into unthinkable situations. I mean what could be more horrible than your whole homeroom at high school being sent to a deserted island and told to kill each other for a TV show? If you don't play you die. Who do you trust? Are your friends really your friends?
satti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:29 am Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
I know this might be a little off but I consider Battle Royale horror. I know its shocking nature is all anybody ever talks about, but there are some great characters here who are forced into unthinkable situations. I mean what could be more horrible than your whole homeroom at high school being sent to a deserted island and told to kill each other for a TV show? If you don't play you die. Who do you trust? Are your friends really your friends?

I recommend original novel Battle Royale by Koushun Takami than manga and movie. I can say it's a highly recommendable book for teenagers.

By the way, I think Osamu Tezuka has a side as horror manga writer.
Some of his short stories must suit JustinSane's taste. I thought I can find English version of MW and The Crater, but I have'nt. Sad
the manga which really scared me is Himizu by Minoru Huruya.
unrelieved and hopeless story without fantasy or ghost.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JustinSane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:45 am Reply with quote
satti wrote:
freshkazuki wrote:

I recommend original novel Battle Royale by Koushun Takami than manga and movie. I can say it's a highly recommendable book for teenagers.

By the way, I think Osamu Tezuka has a side as horror manga writer.
Some of his short stories must suit JustinSane's taste. I thought I can find English version of MW and The Crater, but I have'nt. Sad
the manga which really scared me is Himizu by Minoru Huruya.
unrelieved and hopeless story without fantasy or ghost.

Sounds good... As for Battle Royale, I've already seen the movie since my brother imported it. My brother owns the novel so I can read it anytime I want. But I'm not really big on the manga, especially the art. There's something about the character design that just turns me off to reading it although it's probably good I just can't get past that. Himizu sounds good, I'll have to look into that. thanks.
Monumension

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:14 am Reply with quote
It's got a weak rating on these boards, but I'll reccomend it anyway: Blood: the Last Vampire, 2002.

Junji Ito's Tomie has to be my favourite horror manga. I can't quite explain it, but it disturbed me, gave me nightmares actually. Not so much fan of his later titles like Uzumaki and GYO though.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Sound like something right up my ally if it's anything similar to "A Clockwork Orange" (which happens to be my favorite book) than 9 times out of 10 I'll like it. Now all I have to do is get my hands on it... it sucks that it's flipped also.

Well, I just mentioned CWO because BaW centers around misfit punks and violence is often treated in a joyous manner (as it was when Alex described it, or when Kubrick shot it). But while it does feature a Disney-like corporation attempting to rebuild a city in it's own image, BaW really isn't so much a satire as it is a story about friendship. There are elements of social commentary and alot of other themes, but at the core its about the relationship of Black and White.
And is it really that horrible that it's flopped? The paper quality is great, the ink is great and it has one of the best translations I've ever seen. I'd much rather get a high quality, flopped product than an "authentic" one with poor paper and bad translation, which many of todays titles have.
LPMtheAWESOME

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Never read Parasyte or a manga that scared the crap outta me, although I do have a couple of reccomendatoins:
Mantis Woman, easily. You've your oddities like a killer koala bear to peple being dropped into a death maze, a murderous teacher slicing the heads off bad students, etc. etc. Flesh Colored Horror is also solid and graphic, although the author's other works, Tomie, I found mediocre. Stay the hell away from Flesh for the Beast. Domu is good and full of substance, a favorite but not exavtly really gore-drenched scares.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Monumension wrote:
It's got a weak rating on these boards, but I'll reccomend it anyway: Blood: the Last Vampire, 2002.

I wouldn't reccomend that one, the plot was a little weak, IMHO. I'd actually sell my copy of it if it hadn't been given to me as a gift by my best friend; and I'm a hoarder when it comes to books, manga, and anime, last time I sold any of the above I was pressed for money after half a year of being laid off and it took me over a week to actually bring them in and sell them once I decided I definately was going to do that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2