• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why ANN Is Against SOPA/PIPA

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
SOPA is like hiring a group of thugs who don't have to explain themselves to anyone, but can take your things away wherever they want.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
SOPA is just an annoyance, really. Anyone with computer knowledge will know how to get around it, and those are the people who pirate in the first place. Its only punishing people who aren't computer savvy.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emily82LenFangirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for participating in the black out wasn't expecting it from this site.

Last edited by Emily82LenFangirl on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
No problem with the black bars. This is a perfect way to get the attention of politicians and shut up the MPAA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
FYI - ICE is now called HSI (Homeland Security Investigations). It's what organizations who get bad press do every couple of years - change their name until the public hates them again.

Also, a typo - Dajaz1.com and its supporters (including industry insiders) contend that non of the content on the site was unauthorized.

I don't like SOPA, and I can't imagine that there's really anybody under the age of 60 that does like SOPA. The government has enough on its plate that it has yet to fix, so I'm not quite sure why they're asking for more work. It's like being flooded with piles of work and yet still asking your boss for more.

From what I've read, if SOPA passes, any site deemed harmful will simply appear as being non-existent. I've read that China has a similar system in place. So, if this passes, I feel that the US will no longer have any right to criticize China.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
The Dajaz1.com example highlights government oversight at its worst: totally arbitrary, heavy-handed and unresponsive. I'm not one of those "government is inherently evil" types, but these kind of stories do remind us why we, the public - you know, the people government is supposed to serve - have to vigilant about what governments get up to.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I fully support your stand against this bad legislation!
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I completely support ANN in this war against this 'so called' piracy stopper. Its not gonna stop ANYTHING except hit innocent people. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Takuku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm somewhat surprised that it's only showing on the US version of ANN considering other sites such as Wikipedia aren't limiting it to only the US.

But at least you're doing what needs to be done!
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I tried to change my profile pic to protest SOPA (I did it for my Facebook, Twitter, IGN, and other site I had my account on), but it said "pic file must be less then 12 KB". This suck, but glad to see ANN going against SOPA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
khaos1019

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad ANN and many other sites are participating in this protest. Even if, by some horrible turn of fate, SOPA is passed, President Obama has threatened to veto it. Hopefully he sticks to his word.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad ANN is publicly supporting the effort to stop SOPA. It's a ridiculous bill that won't do anything to stop piracy and will only really hurt innocent people.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Hate that SOPA will mainly effect those who want to view content legally. This won't stop pirates 100% and at best just delay pirates. People who support this bill just want to control their properties without thinking of the consequences this can bring.

They really need to think of a bill that will help all sides of the issue or learn to adapt and provide better services like with itunes. Just know that there will always be pirates, but done just right many will be willing to pay.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
This is going to make everybody day great, because the guy who co-sponsored PIPA has abandon support for the bill.

Quote:
Citing "legitimate concerns about the impact the bill could have on access to the Internet and about a potentially unreasonable expansion of the federal government's power to impact the Internet," Rubio says "I have decided to withdraw my support for the Protect IP Act. Furthermore, I encourage Senator Reid to abandon his plan to rush the bill to the floor."

Glad to see somebody saw the light and had a change of heart. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One of my worst nightmares (the one that doesn't involve big bird) is a scenario where a Japanese studio gives ANN a trailer and asks us to promote it on our site. If a major American movie company were to later license that property, it might then be considered by the MPAA to be a property they must protect. I can imagine some ignorant clerk in a cubicle at some MPAA affiliated office deciding that ANN's use of the trailer was “unauthorized” and adding our domain to the next list he sends to ICE.

Better start excising any Manga Entertainment material, Starz Entertainment kinda goes overboard on the whole copyright shakedown takedown stuff. Who knows, an idiot at Starz could literally screw with ANN over you guys posting material provided by the Japanese IP holders if SOPA/PIPA does somehow manage to pass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12