• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My little nickname for the VAs ADV uses

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrantM1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:31 am Reply with quote
I've noticed that ADV mostly use the same VAs in their dubs over and over and over.

While that is expected, I've noticed that other dub studios at least try to vary which VAs they use

Would you agree with me that ADV really needs to start using more than just "The Usual Suspects" (yep, that's the nickname I've given them) in their dubs, or are you okay with who they use
HR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:42 am Reply with quote
You are absolutly right, I use to think it was cool when I would recognize different VAs but after a while it just gets annoying no matter how talented the actors are.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:49 am Reply with quote
Actually ADV doesn't use the same VAs more then any other studio does. Of course, when they closed down Monster Island, they did lose some people. But they are always bringing new people in at the same time, just like everyone else. In addition there are several VAs that do work for more then one company, and so end up appearing in more series.
HR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:15 am Reply with quote
Still when you start hearing very recognizable voices, especially female voices, it is a little distracting. I think good VAs should continue to work but maby more spread out across genres and rolls. Cool
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:37 am Reply with quote
HR wrote:
Still when you start hearing very recognizable voices, especially female voices, it is a little distracting. I think good VAs should continue to work but maby more spread out across genres and rolls. Cool

You wouldn't be speaking of Tiffany Grant would you. I can always tell when she has a part in almost any thing . There are some talented people at ADV to make a blanket statement like that may be going to far. You should take the anime chalenge and see if you are right when you think you are hearing the same VA.
You may have already done so ,if so never mind Shocked
GrantM1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:49 am Reply with quote
mugen1style wrote:
HR wrote:

You wouldn't be speaking of Tiffany Grant would you. I can always tell when she has a part in almost any thing . There are some talented people at ADV to make a blanket statement like that may be going to far. You should take the anime chalenge and see if you are right when you think you are hearing the same VA.

I'm referring to the VAs ADV are using right now, her included
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:52 am Reply with quote
GrantM1 wrote:
mugen1style wrote:
HR wrote:

What show are you watching and what other show have you heard the "usual suspects"in. Question
GrantM1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:56 am Reply with quote
mugen1style wrote:
GrantM1 wrote:
mugen1style wrote:
HR wrote:

What show are you watching and what other show have you heard the "usual suspects"in. Question

I'm referring to the shows/OAV/movies that ADV have released since at least 2002. I've not bought an ADV DVD in months
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:06 am Reply with quote
Well you are most likely right their just are not enough talent interested in doing anime or somthing like that. I do have to say that most of the time it dose not bother me to hear a familar voice as long as the charecters they do, don't match as well.
As for Ms. Grant her voice can get to me some times and all I hear is Asuka the 2nd child in Eva.
HR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:09 am Reply with quote
I'll be the first to admit that I am not as well versed in anime as some, but I do notice some things. Tiffany Grant is really great and I think she has great range and adds something special to her charachters. My problem is with those who basiclly act the same charachter in different series.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:27 am Reply with quote
HR wrote:
I'll be the first to admit that I am not as well versed in anime as some, but I do notice some things. Tiffany Grant is really great and I think she has great range and adds something special to her charachters. My problem is with those who basiclly act the same charachter in different series.

Well type casting is not exsclusive to HollyWood and I agree with you on that point. Oh I may have given the impression that I don't like T. Grant thats not true its more like, I liked her role in Eva. Now when I here her,I think of Eva. For most it's Rei (Wendy Lee) but I am always surprised when I see her name in the credits of a show go figure Smile
HR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:50 am Reply with quote
All said this is probably a really minor issue. After all like you said this goes on in Hollywood all the time. Plus, after a while you sort of separate from the voice and get drawn into the story, provided its a good story. Rolling Eyes
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:54 am Reply with quote
Is it so wrong that they have developed a stable of talent that they know they can use and rely on?
HR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:12 am Reply with quote
Because it it VA the rules seem different because just by changing their voice they can become a different person. I will say that having a stable of good actors sometimes works quite well IE Akira Kurosawa. He would use the same set of actors for many of his movies and as far as I'm concerned they are almost all classic masterpieces. Cool
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quote
I don't really mind as I like a good number of their actors. Of course, when I watch an anime and hear the voices I'm generally not thinking about where else I've heard that voice. In a sense I like hearing the same voices, obviously not in every single show but I honestly haven't noticed the same voices in every show or even a majority. Of course, I also have a pretty widespread collection for most of the major domestic distributors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5