• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Suggestions???

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctorlw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen much anime, since for the most part I dislike most of it, but the ones I like... I really get into. Since it is really hit or miss for me, I was hoping if I listed the animes I liked, and the ones I didn't like, some of you who know a hell of a lot more about anime could help me find some that is more suited to my taste.

Anime I have liked, in order which I liked them:

Berserk
Cowboy Bebop
Gantz (with the exception of the episodes after the temple battle, it seems like the show just took a random turn and became a lot less enjoyable)
Samurai Champloo (haven't seen all of it yet)
Kenshin OVA's
DragonBall Z - while I didn't see many episodes, watching people go Super Seiyan or whatever helped keep me inspired with weighlifting and maintain some serious sacrificies such as not drink alcohol... (that didn't last too long though, sadly)

Thing's I am/was pretty neutral to, catch episodes on Cartoon network every now and then never liked enough to get into:

Kenshin TV Show
Inuyasha
Paranoia Agent
Another new show on adult swim that I can't remember the name of... has something called HOLY? in it?
Haven't really seen too many episodes of this or the one above, Paranoia Agent, but I found them entertaining enough to watch the couple of times I stumbled upon them.

Disliked:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
- I know everyone and their dog seems to love this show, and I'll get flamed for saying it, but I definitely did not like this show. If it weren't for some of my friends who convinced me to watch it forcing me to continue, I would have quit by episode 5. Having already played Xenogears, I felt as if it were the same thing but not as good. Also felt that it was a little too focused on the religious themes to the detriment of the plot. Also, very much hate giant robots.
Gundams (all). Did I mention I hate giant robots?
Some newer show on adult swim with a girl with pink hair. All I have to say to this show is... WTF?

That is all the anime I have seen. If anyone knows any shows that might fit in with my tastes, I would appreciate your advice very much.

Thank you in advance.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
doctorlw wrote:

You hate giant robots, and yet you sat through every Gundam incarnation out there, even going so far as to track down the rarities of the franchise such as Evolve, MS IGLOO, Turn-A, and the original SD shorts? Or are you just being shallow and judging the whole damn thing by one or two episodes? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Insane E

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Well would help out a fair bit if we knew why you liked the ones you listed ...

Nagisa, could it not just be that he meant he dissliked them all based on that they include
Quote:
... giant robots

If not I'm actully impressed that he has seen it all Wink
Iemander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
doctorlw wrote:

You hate giant robots, and yet you sat through every Gundam incarnation out there, even going so far as to track down the rarities of the franchise such as Evolve, MS IGLOO, Turn-A, and the original SD shorts? Or are you just being shallow and judging the whole damn thing by one or two episodes? Confused

I think he just wants to say that he doesn't like all Gundams BECAUSE there are giant robots in them. As I percieve it, he'd watch a Gundam without any robots in them, but that would be a little weird.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:

I think he just wants to say that he doesn't like all Gundams BECAUSE there are giant robots in them.

The key word here is giant. So, he'd like SD Gundam, because they are small robots.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Okay...You seem to like the anime with a bit more blood to them. So I'll suggest Elfen Lied. I've heard some positive comments about this show, and it certainly seems to have some blood to it. My advice is to check out the synopsis in the encyclopedia, and ignore the picture. It's misleading. Once the Monster anime comes out, I definitely think it's worth checking out. It's a dark series (and yeah, with blood I think), but I've heard the plot is grabbing. Once again, I haven't seen it, so this is just based on fan reviews and such.
Another show I think everyone should watch is Fullmetal Alchemist. There's humor and action, like Cowboy Bebop, along with some blood, but the age rating doesn't really go above TV14-V.

Quote:
Some newer show on adult swim with a girl with pink hair. All I have to say to this show is... WTF?
I think you mean FLCL. It's been broadcast in the past quite a few times, and it's a parody. I don't think it's supposed to make a whole lot of sense.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
My advice is to check out the synopsis in the encyclopedia, and ignore the picture. It's misleading.

Yup, which is why I shall provide an accurate representation. Don't click on the links if blood and gore bother you though.. you've been warned.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/lavergne9/elfen3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/lavergne9/bscap017.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/lavergne9/589262-Elfenlied-questioned.jpg
Iemander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
.Sy wrote:
My advice is to check out the synopsis in the encyclopedia, and ignore the picture. It's misleading.

Yup, which is why I shall provide an accurate representation. Don't click on the links if blood and gore bother you though.. you've been warned.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/lavergne9/elfen3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/lavergne9/bscap017.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/lavergne9/589262-Elfenlied-questioned.jpg

Funniest

Ever

Seriously though, Elfen Lied isn't all about guts and gore as those screenshots lead you to believe, although the show does love to shock you every so often.

There's not really much fighting in it though, as the girls are a little "overpowering".
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Neon Genesis Evangelion - I know everyone and their dog seems to love this show, and I'll get flamed for saying it, but I definitely did not like this show.

Thank you!!

(I don't like it either.)

But back on track, it seems that you like action and drama fused together. If you want action to outweigh the drama, I'll recommend GetBackers. But if you want more plot and meaning than action, then go for The Twelve Kingdoms, or the X tv series - not the movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:

Seriously though, Elfen Lied isn't all about guts and gore as those screenshots lead you to believe, although the show does love to shock you every so often.

I know, plus I don't mind the blood and gore. I just thought I'd go for the opposite of the ency pic. Of course, for how little real fighting there is, there is gallons and gallons of blood spilled.
doctorlw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Ok so far shows to check out are:

Elfen Lied
GetBackers
Twelve Kingdoms
X

I definitely like my fair share of action and gore, but I'm not much a fan if its completely senseless. There needs to be a reason for it.

As for not liking giant robots... I'm not completely close-minded to it, I just can't understand the japanese fascination with it. Do they really think that is how battles will play out in the future? They always seem to manage leveling an entire city block with the damn things. That is like New York nuking long island. Another thing I really hate is when people call out their attacks before they do them. In the time they took to yell out their move, I woulda killed them. Ridiculous.

Nagisa: As for being shallow and judging the whole franchise by one or two episodes (of about 3 different Gundams though)... yes, you are right. Very Happy Are these other "rarities" things I should look into?

.Sy: I saw a couple episodes of Full metcal Alchemist on Cartoon network now that I think of it, and although I didn't think it was bad - I didn't find it great either. That may just be because cartoon network edited it though? I don't know...

Insane E: I felt that in all the the anime I listed as liking, that they had good character development, plots, mixed with a fair amount of darker (and imo, therefore more realistic) action.

To All: Thanks for your help so far. Any other suggestions?
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
doctorlw wrote:

If not giant Robots then why not try Gasaraki it has smaller exo-skeliton style mecha . The whole back of the mech opens so the pilot can get in the cockpit its cool, and the plot has politicle intrigue, hidden agendas, and a scary similarity to some curent event's or at least near past or is it future events. Cool
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
doctorlw wrote:
Nagisa: As for being shallow and judging the whole franchise by one or two episodes (of about 3 different Gundams though)... yes, you are right. Very Happy Are these other "rarities" things I should look into?

Well, for what it's worth, the things you seem to dislike about giant robot anime are, by my experience, largely absent from Gundam in general. The calling out of attack names and the leveling of whole city blocks in a single "super attack" are rare, at best (hell, G Gundam's the only Gundam title that comes to mind with the "super name-calling" attacks in it). For the most part, Gundam tends to focus most on either characters & development, or a more militaristic slant on things. In both respects, I'd suggest that 08th MS Team would be a good one to sample. It doesn't over-cheese the giant robot concept, and provides plenty of honest character development & action to go along with it. If that one strikes your fancy, then I'd suggest sampling the other three OVA titles (0083, 0080, which is pretty character-heavy, and MS IGLOO, which is similarly character heavy with a much heavier military bend), as well as the original Gundam titles, Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, possibly Gundam Double Zeta (though it gets cheesy), and Char's Counterattack (which is easy to see while skipping ZZ if you wish). If you're still interested after that, then I'd say Gundam X, Turn-A Gundam (very heavy on character), SEED & maybe Destiny, and then Wing & G Gundam after that. Basicaly, the first ones I mention are the least "cheesy" of the lot, and the last ones I mentioned are the ones you'd probably like the least.

And for more militaristic or generally "plausible" mech type anime, Gasaraki would be a good bet, as would Full Metal Panic! if you have any inclination towards top-notch romance-comedy to go along with great action.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iemander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I definitely like my fair share of action and gore, but I'm not much a fan if its completely senseless. There needs to be a reason for it.

Don't worry, there's alot of meaning to the gore in Elfen Lied. It's just not used to spicen up the action, instead it's there to frighten and shock the viewer. I wasn't really frightened to see the gore really, I was more frightened to see which/why and how the next guy would get botched up. Elfen Lied has a really intense atmosphere, I literally had to blow air out of my lungs after each episode to cool off from the whole experience.
In that respect, it's actually pretty similar to Gantz, only worse.

I love the series, it's one of my favorites.

Quote:
I saw a couple episodes of Full metcal Alchemist on Cartoon network now that I think of it, and although I didn't think it was bad - I didn't find it great either. That may just be because cartoon network edited it though? I don't know...

HERETIC! BURN!

Seriously though, there's some action in FMA but the whole thing is pretty storyline centered. Not as bad as Last Exile in this respect, there isn't really that much action to be found in FMA, just alot of (very interesting) plot twists.

As for other suggestions...

Although I know you dislike Mechs, I do sugest you try out Full Metal Panic: The 2nd raid. It might be about Mechs, but the content is very action packed with some really intense (and bloody) moments. If you like vivid action, this is definitely your game. Give it a shot and look into it, I doubt you'll be dissapointed.
Also, FMP 2 is quite easy to get into, if you don't like the series by the third episode, I'll rest my case about Mechs.

The original FMP favors drama and humor alot more with its much lighter (less mature) content. I doubt you'll like this series, you'll miss bits of the storyline though.

Furthermore,

If you like DBZ, perhaps Naruto or Bleach might be your game?

If you like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo is pretty much a no-brainer. Like Bebop, Champloo has alot of style in a very similar sense and actually has alot more and better designed action. As a Bebop fan, there's no possible way you can't love Champloo.
scorpioEDC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Try Yugo The Negotiator. The first 2 volumes are special low price introductory edition (less than 20 CAN$). Vol 1 and 2 are stand alone series cover Pakistan. If you don't like these 2 volumes, you can stop at here and no need to follow the Russian seires.

To me, the Pakistan series is quite good. I will properly go on to watch the Russian series.

Don't worry, there are action scenes although the name of this series is Negotiator.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2