• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Cosplay Debate

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinclair713

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote
First thing, I'm a cosplay fan, so no offense. But don't you think it's inappropriate for some people to cosplay to the point of insulting the anime characters?

Like there was this anime festival at my place and there's a guy cosplaying kenshin (from Samurai X). N he looked like sh*t. I mean, he didn't even bothered to make an effort! Evil or Very Mad
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well, not everyone has the spare money to make the best looking costume, and obviously not everyone is going to look identical to the character their portraying...

My stance on the whole cosplay thing, is to just have fun with it. There's no reason to make a fuss just because someone's costume isn't perfect.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Who the heck cares? Cosplay is all about having fun. Sure, maybe the ones who don't try at all may be a bit laughable, but I don't know how you could "insult the character" by half-assedly dressing up like them.. Confused It seems like nothing worth getting upset over to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Preston

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Who the heck cares? Cosplay is all about having fun. Sure, maybe the ones who don't try at all may be a bit laughable, but I don't know how you could "insult the character" by half-assedly dressing up like them.. Confused It seems like nothing worth getting upset over to me.

I had the same opinion of Cosplaying as you, then I saw a horrific cosplay picture of Jo (Bakuretsu Tenshi/Burst Angel) which is my fave anime character, and I swear if I hadn't had my mouth closed I would have vomited over my keyboard.
x_ekibyougami_x

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
As long as everyone is having fun, should it matter how much money or effort someone puts into the character? But I did see a man dressed as Paine from FF last year at Anime North (a really BAD version to boot) which was a bit disturbing. All I could do was laugh... Never take insult.
RedComet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I say it's all fun and games. Some people put time and craftsmanship into their cosplay but some don't...*Thinks of Man-Faye*. Laughing
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
You know, everyone keeps talking about this MAN-FAYE character... has he ever shown up again?

I was scrolling in my ON-DEMAND thingy and it said something about that...

or it was asking if it was true, I can't remember
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Nionel wrote:
Well, not everyone has the spare money to make the best looking costume, and obviously not everyone is going to look identical to the character their portraying...

My stance on the whole cosplay thing, is to just have fun with it. There's no reason to make a fuss just because someone's costume isn't perfect.

My senitments exactly. (not sure if I spelled that right)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
i'm not a cosplay fan to begin with, but the fat otaku men dressing like women just need to stop.
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I know that this is really silly (and not to mention mean), but I kinda have trouble taking cosplayers seriously. Especially when its a really really good costume. I kinda want to tell them to get a life other than anime.

Its kinda like those Medevial people who make chain mail, and wear it to Medevial conventions and stuff.

but please don't take offense, I don't see anything wrong with cosplaying, if you're having fun
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
smutchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
[...] Especially when its a really really good costume. I kinda want to tell them to get a life other than anime.

I agree, I sometimes think that, too. Very Happy
Then again I think about some of the stuff I do and conclude that I had better shut up... Very Happy

However, when someone writes the following:
Sinclair713 wrote:
But don't you think it's inappropriate for some people to cosplay to the point of insulting the anime characters?

...then I have to smile, because: How can you insult an anime character? Very Happy

Even though I'm not into cosplay, I am not against it or anything, so please don't be offended.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
You know, everyone keeps talking about this MAN-FAYE character... has he ever shown up again?

I was scrolling in my ON-DEMAND thingy and it said something about that...

or it was asking if it was true, I can't remember

According to wikipedia:

Quote:
Man-Faye was banned from Anime Expo in 2005 for the same reasons as the previous year. This time, however, he was trimmer than the previous year, although he remained hairy. He was often spotted outside the convention center posing with fans and convention goers alike. There are reports that the Anime Expo staff might allow Man-Faye access to the convention interiors again for 2006, but there has been no official word.

(Hopefully someone can confirm a/or blatantly deny this info.)

And to add to the debate: I pretty much would love to see a DECENT representation (or intentional parody), and not some fat b**** trying to fit into a costume that she wasn't meant to be in. I want to be amused, not disgusted.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:09 am Reply with quote
Not being particularly interested in cosplay, myself, I nevertheless find some interest in the amount of vitriol this subject generates.

Honestly, what do any of you care whether people dress up, or not - or whether they do so with any skill? And if their bodies are wholly inappropriate to the costumes they choose, so what? They're not doing it for you, and they're not hurting you in any way (if you find it offensive, look the other way, for Heaven's sake!). Let them have their fun, and mind your own business.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sinclair713

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:10 am Reply with quote
ok, gomenasai...maybe i was over-exaggerating a bit there... just that the first cosplay i ever saw was man-faye, which my friend sent to me.
imagine what impression it gave to me about cosplay.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:42 am Reply with quote
Screw Man-Faye, how about Sailor Bubba and this GUY I saw at Anime Boston dressed as Princess Peach... with a gun!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4