• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gantz

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinSane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I was just wondering, how much of the manga does the anime cover because I've heard some pretty awful things about the second half of the anime so I might just want to watch the episodes that are covered in the manga and stop there.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Then why don't you do that? The manga hasn't been licensed, so I don't think many people will know, except those who can read Japanese.

NOBODY START POSTING SCANLATIONS BECAUSE THAT'S ILLEGAL AND THE LINKS WILL JUST BE REMOVED.
JustinSane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Then why don't you do that? The manga hasn't been licensed, so I don't think many people will know, except those who can read Japanese.

NOBODY START POSTING SCANLATIONS BECAUSE THAT'S ILLEGAL AND THE LINKS WILL JUST BE REMOVED.

I already know where to get my scans from, I've been reading it. I want to know where in the anime it stops following the manga, I don't want to blow money on something I might not like especially since dvds only come with 2 episodes per disc. So can some tell me what volume, chapter, whatever the anime stops follow the manga.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
JustinSane wrote:
I already know where to get my scans from, I've been reading it. I want to know where in the anime it stops following the manga, I don't want to blow money on something I might not like especially since dvds only come with 2 episodes per disc. So can some tell me what volume, chapter, whatever the anime stops follow the manga.

Can't speak to your first point, but I can tell you that three episodes becomes the norm beginning with volume 6, except for volume 7 (just out today!) which has four.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I think it covers up to eather Chapter 57 or 87.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:56 am Reply with quote
I can tell you that the anime diverges from the manga around ep. 22 - up to that point, it's a fairly faithful reproduction of the manga. After that point, it turns to ordure.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:10 am Reply with quote
I just want the [expletive] manga to get a U.S. licence by someone that will give it that 18+ rating and shrink wrap it.
NeeKz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:19 am Reply with quote
Is the Manga close to completion yet??
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
I just want the [expletive] manga to get a U.S. licence by someone that will give it that 18+ rating and shrink wrap it.

Unless it goes to my local Waldenbooks, where for some reason, ALL copies of Ghost in the Shell: Man Machine Interface are NOT wrapped. Mmm...Motoko sex party... Shocked

abunai wrote:
I can tell you that the anime diverges from the manga around ep. 22 - up to that point, it's a fairly faithful reproduction of the manga. After that point, it turns to ordure.

Did you misspell something at the end of that post?
JustinSane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

- abunai

Is the spoiler[temple mission battle] in the anime?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
abunai wrote:

Did you misspell something at the end of that post?

No, I didn't. Get your dictionary, and look up the word "ordure".

JustinSane wrote:
Is the spoiler[temple mission battle] in the anime?

Yes, it is - and it's perfect, just the way it ought to be. Shortly after that point, however, the series becomes unwatchable.

It's like what they did to Hellsing, only worse.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
As far as Gantz goes, Volumes 1 - 8 match Episodes 1 - 21
The Anime and Manga diverge on Chapter 92 of Volume 8 (which ends in Chapter 94).

Gantz, much like Berkerk, is a "could have been great" anime, and like Berkserk, they so horribly messed up the ending so as to render it unwatchable as a series.

Its the manga or nothing (hopefully they'll licence it, 18+ of course).
JustinSane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:
Gantz, much like Berkerk, is a "could have been great" anime, and like Berkserk, they so horribly messed up the ending so as to render it unwatchable as a series.

I disagree with you on that. Berserk is a great anime even though it ends at a cliffhanger. The adaptation from volumes 4-12 or 13 are great and don't leave much to be desired. I know most of us here would have wished for a little more closure in the anime but there's always the manga for that which is great by the way.

Thanks for the info on Gantz.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote
JustinSane wrote:

I disagree with you on that. Berserk is a great anime even though it ends at a cliffhanger. The adaptation from volumes 4-12 or 13 are great and don't leave much to be desired. I know most of us here would have wished for a little more closure in the anime but there's always the manga for that which is great by the way.

Sorry, but I think Berserk wantonly left out a lot of stuff spoiler[ the Skull Knight, the rescue of Gatts and Casca, the end of the Eclipse ] which could easily have given it a full arc and better tied it to the manga.

The same with Gantz, they should have left out the last stupid arc and followed the manga to at least Chapter 108 which would have been a nice (still open ended) close.
Iemander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:33 am Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:
JustinSane wrote:

Sorry, but I think Berserk wantonly left out a lot of stuff spoiler[ the Skull Knight, the rescue of Gatts and Casca, the end of the Eclipse ] which could easily have given it a full arc and better tied it to the manga.

The same with Gantz, they should have left out the last stupid arc and followed the manga to at least Chapter 108 which would have been a nice (still open ended) close.

About Berserk...

spoiler[How would that have improved anything? Perhaps it's because I already read the comic and knew what followed, but it really didn't seem that important. Inviting in Skullknight would've been stupid, he wasn't in the series in its entirety and he didn't have to either, save for that one last scene. Changing the ending completely just to close off would've been even more stupid.

Not to mention, isn't everything like closed already? We already know what happened after the eclipse, they obviously survived, wether it's displayed graphically or not, there's no hole in the plotline because we know what happened.

And before you go off claiming SK is a bit plothole etc in the eclipse. He just saved those two because he was "in the mood" lol. Nothing is explained in the comic either, he just dives in there for no reason at all and finds the two love birds unexpected and takes them with him. I have difficulty seeing what's so incredibly satisfying and enclosing about that ending either way.

Face it though, even if everything was as in the comic, still everyone would complain their ass off.]

If there's one bad thing about Berserk animated as I can see it's the intro episode. I really missed Puck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1