• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
3-disc "import" sets

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claus_Valca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I am wondering about the 3-disc import sets that are commonly shipped by marketplace vendors at amazon.com and ebay. Are these sets bootlegged copies of the original?

Any knowledge would be appreciated.

thanks

Last Exile Rocks
Ulthrion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Claus_Valca wrote:
I am wondering about the 3-disc import sets that are commonly shipped by marketplace vendors at amazon.com and ebay. Are these sets bootlegged copies of the original?

eBay, marketplaces etc don't care much about whether or not they sell bootlegs, or original copies, as long as they make a profit. In addition, 3 disc import sounds very fishy.

From what I know, the highest number of volumes on one legit disc I've ever seen legit was 5, so a 3 disc set could never contain a 16+ episode series. As a guideline, if the discs contain more than 5 episodes, you;re almost garatueed it's bootleg.

More than that I really don't know, as I have had the luck of not encountering any bootlegs at all.

Farseer Ulthrion
kacper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
while I agree that it sounds "fishy", more than 5 episodes on one disc happened even in the US, see Fruits Basket from funimation. anyways, yeah.
RS4NT_786

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I've had some experience with bootlegged anime DVD's from ebay...
There are a few legitimate sellers, but most of them are bootleggers.
The differences between bootlegs and legit DVDs are quite obvious - the most obvious being that they are sold as part of a 3-disk set. An example would be NGE - it has been released by ADV on 8 disks but is being sold on ebay in a 3 disk set for the entire series, and a 4 disk set for the series and both movies.

Also look out for Region 0 dvds, especially since legit DVDs usually have a region code of 1 (america) or 2 (europe, japan).

Some bootlegs have their company's logo on them - FX, Manga International and Manga Animation Cartoon are some of the companies that deal in bootlegs. Their logos are normally visible on the spine of the case, so see if you can get some images of those when thinking about a purchase.

Last but not least, i can list the names of some sellers on ebay who sell bootlegs.
Whatever you do, don't buy from Animetan, r.evil2 or animehitsuk. These sellers sell only bootlegs, but there are many others who sell them too, so please take note of their characteristics.
I hope that I may have been of some help to you.
gundamlion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
RS4NT_786 wrote:
Unfortunately, I've had some experience with bootlegged anime DVD's from ebay...
There are a few legitimate sellers, but most of them are bootleggers.
The differences between bootlegs and legit DVDs are quite obvious - the most obvious being that they are sold as part of a 3-disk set. An example would be NGE - it has been released by ADV on 8 disks but is being sold on ebay in a 3 disk set for the entire series, and a 4 disk set for the series and both movies.

Also look out for Region 0 dvds, especially since legit DVDs usually have a region code of 1 (america) or 2 (europe, japan).

Some bootlegs have their company's logo on them - FX, Manga International and Manga Animation Cartoon are some of the companies that deal in bootlegs. Their logos are normally visible on the spine of the case, so see if you can get some images of those when thinking about a purchase.

Last but not least, i can list the names of some sellers on ebay who sell bootlegs.
Whatever you do, don't buy from Animetan, r.evil2 or animehitsuk. These sellers sell only bootlegs, but there are many others who sell them too, so please take note of their characteristics.
I hope that I may have been of some help to you.

these is really good info, thanks Smile
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Ulthrion wrote:
From what I know, the highest number of volumes on one legit disc I've ever seen legit was 5, so a 3 disc set could never contain a 16+ episode series. As a guideline, if the discs contain more than 5 episodes, you;re almost garatueed it's bootleg.

The first DVD volume of Key The Metal Idol had 7 full episodes, and the second DVD volume had 6, and both were regular releases. I have never seen 8 full-length eps on one DVD that wasn't a bootleg, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
The official release of Fruits Basket is a 6/6/7/7 setup.

The official 8 DVD re-release of Fushigi Yuugi TV series is a 7/6/7/6/7/6/7/6 setup
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
If you can't tell if something's a bootleg, I'd suggest clicking that "Spotting Bootlegs" sticky at the top of the retail forum. It gives good, in depth info on some of the trickier aspects such as fake holographic stickers.

Last edited by .Sy on Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dagwood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd suggest clicking that "Spotting Bootlegs" sticky at the top if this forum.
That would be in the Retail Forum Wink; where this thread should have gone Cool. Anyway, here's the link animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5401

When I first 'got into' anime I unknowingly bought a 3-disc Cowboy Bebop (blatantly obvious bootleg) set from Amizon's Marketplace Mad. After I came to ANN I read up on it and I can gladly say I haven't repeated my mistake.

Last edited by Dagwood on Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:39 am Reply with quote
The first two seasons of Sailor Moon dubbed had 12 discs * 6 episodes + 2 discs * 5 episodes, the ADV subbed releases had 6 and 5, the S and Super S by Pioneer had 7 on 2 discs, 6 on all the rest (except for SS vol 7 that had 3). . .Kare Kano disc 1 had 6, the sub only releases of Sakura Diaries, Seraphim Call, and Sentimental Journey are all 6/6, Video Girl Ai was 6 eps on 1 disk. And, let's not forget the wonderful Pokemon Orange Islands discs that had 12 Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes . There might be others, but in general, the best cutoff number is 7--it's very unlikely that a legit release will have 8 or more. Extra Note: FLCL on one disk is a bootleg--the legit release is 3 disc, even though it's 6 episodes.

Most 12-13 ep series on 2 discs will also be bootlegs, with the exceptions noted by me and the other posters.
Anime^fangirl^shenlu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:00 am Reply with quote
Quite a few of my anime series are from ebay and are mostly 3 disc sets (I don't have much money to spend on thousands of seperate volumes, see) And all the ones that I own are okay. If buying off ebay just be careful and research the seller in depth first Anime smile Usually try to use power sellers and check their feedback Anime smile Smile
Asuka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
Shenlu, those are bootlegs.

http://www.jazzmess.com/merch/bootlegfaq.html

That explains a lot about bootlegs. You seem to be forgetting that anime isn't a necessity, try prioritizing instead of wasting your money on knockoffs.
tenchidragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
God,i hope not because i saw Revelutionary Utana and it only cost 39 $.Plus it had the movie with it.The same friend let me borro Cowboy Bebop and it was like that to.But i would never buy it like that.It looks trashy on your self.LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Claus_Valca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote
Thank you for all of the information, it is unfortunate that bootlegging is so rampant. It makes you wonder…What if nobody bootlegged? Would the prices of anime go down? Just a thought. I also have a moral question if anyone is interested. I just finished watching Samurai Champloo (all 26 eps. fansubbed (I know, I know)). However, I own all volumes available in the US and intend to purchase the rest as they become available, so any thoughts on morality of said issue?

P.S.
(To Dagwood)
Quote:
That would be in the Retail Forum Wink ; where this thread should have gone Cool .
Sorry, I just signed up yesterday and was so excited I didn't get that far down the forums page.Anime cry
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote
The prices probably wouldn't go down because they're set according to what the market will bear and what they need to charge to make a profit after production/licensing costs.

I think you're excersising correct morality on Samurai Champloo--really, that's sort of the fansub ideal, that people will download shows fansubbed, then buy the DVDs to support the industry after the fansub popularity draws attention to the show. Does it always happen? No, but I'm doing the same thing with Scrapped Princess, since I saw it on fansub last year and am now buying the DVDs as they come out.

And another general sermon on anime morality: As Shibahime said, it's not a necessity, but if you have your mind made up to procure anime illegally, then download it; don't buy bootlegs. Not only is it cheaper for you, but you're not contributing to the Chinese Mafia and their drug/prostitution/gambling/weapons operations. It's still stealing, and it still hurts the US and Japanese anime industries, but at least it doesn't help criminals make a profit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2