• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
At last, a .hack MMORPG is on the way!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Bandai is taking the first step into creating "The World" as they've finally announced they are developing a new MMORPG based on .hack titled .Hack//Fragment.

From Magic Box:
"Bandai announced a new PS2 and PC online RPG called .Hack // Fragment, which is being developed by CyberConnect and ArtDink. The game will not require the PS2 HDD and will not have a monthly member free. There will be character creation, guild, BBS and Mail systems; the game can be played both online and offline, 8 character classes will be available. There will be a matching server to find play partners; you can also run your own server on PC."

Sounds really interesting, and the offline mode and free online play pretty much sells it for me.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asuka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Online RPG =/= MMORPG. If it was an MMORPG they would have stated it as such. It'll probably be something comparable to Phantasy Star Online.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. I never really wanted to put in the time to play all 4 PS2 games, but I like the anime a lot, and I just happen to be playing some free MMORPG right now called "Maple Story" or something. It reminded me a little of .hack, so I'm eager to see how this turns out.

EDIT: Corrected some grammar spelling.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Shibahime wrote:
Online RPG =/= MMORPG. If it was an MMORPG they would have stated it as such. It'll probably be something comparable to Phantasy Star Online.

I don't play a lot of games online so the difference is kinda lost on me. I guess I just figure that if a lot of people play it, and it's online, and it's an RPG, then it's an MMORPG. It does sound like PSO which is great for me because I've been playing PSO since the Dreamcast (and I'm currently playing PSO:BB).

But be it a MMORPG or an ORPG it's still a step in the right direction.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Shocked ! I can't tell you how long I've been waiting for something like this. First of all, my first post on this site was on this topic (hoping BanDai would make one). Now, finally, I have an RPG/MMORPG (whatever you guys decided) on the PC that I can play. It sounds pretty much like the game (with the BBS, mail, and character classes), but I hope it will be fun. I was already looking into .hack//G.U., too. And you're saying you don't have to pay monthly fees? Very Happy
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It'll probably be something comparable to Phantasy Star Online.

Probably, but that's what The World is, a communal city environment and smaller "maps" that you'd visit alone or in groups of 3-ish. It's probably very similar to Guild Wars too. I can't wait to try it out, I hope it's fun (although it's potentially very lame).

It will have to be considerably more advanced than the old .Hack RPG since that one only worked because you controlled a whole party at once. Each individual character was pretty sucky (except Kite, but even then he generally needed his team's support to be competative, and he was a no good haxor).
Meson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:55 am Reply with quote
All great journeys begin with a single step. This game is just the next step up the latter for .hack gamming. It isn't The World, but it get's us closer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:51 am Reply with quote
I know a few people who are going to do backflips over this news. I loved the story of the original .hack's and the shows and I can't wait till the next .hack comes out. A real .hack mmorpg was definatly going to be the next step in the .hack series.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
The first 5 minutes when it's open to the public, Kite1942 and Blackrose2273 logs on.

I guess Bandia finally cracks under the pressure of tons of fanboys/girls. I hope they have the the City of Heroes type of missions (A person gives you missions out the ying yang to parts of the city) while keeping the keyword system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Now all we need are the virtual reality headsets. If the rumors about the Nintendo Revolution having some sort of virtual reality or holographic display are true, an actual version of The World might be possible if Bandai would consider bringing the series to the Revolution.

I love the idea of free online play a la Guild Wars (but without the need to buy future upgrades), but if there is no support for Sony's ill-fated HDD, will the data only need to be stored on memory cards? What about the high possibility of patches?

I assume that this game takes place well before the original PS2 games (Infection, Mutation, Outbrake, and Quarantine) and .hack//SIGN as evidenced by the name .hack//Fragment, a definite reference to spoiler[the earlier version of The World created by Harold Horowitz] told about in the PS2 games and the novel .hack//AI BUSTER, which is coming soon from Tokyopop.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
... I just happend to be playing some free MMORPG right now called "Maple Story" or something...

I tried that one out... too "NES" for me. If you like worms, check out Gunbound - same style graphics as maple story, but more fun, IMO.
But I'd be much more interested in the actual "The World" MMORPG than both of those!
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
The first 5 minutes when it's open to the public, Kite1942 and Blackrose2273 logs on.
Or more likely they will "ban" the use of any usernames that contains the name of any of the charaters in the game. Ergo, there will only be one Blackrose, that you might bump into as you play.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:
Or more likely they will "ban" the use of any usernames that contains the name of any of the charaters in the game.
Yeah, most MMOs "blacklist" in game names (Cid FF 11 is blacklisted) or "used" names (Just about all .hack characters fall under this.), but hey, City of Heroes, to this day, "adjuest" characters that looks and kind have the same name in comic books area. (IE: The whole Marvel thing.) I'm pretty sure "La De Da" is safe for now.

Add on: Do I really have to make everything clear? DC was also pretty upset about the fact too.

Last edited by Ataru on Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
City of heroes has a good reason though for adjusting names and characters as Marvel has already tried to sue them on the grounds their game facilitates copyright infringement.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
the novel .hack//AI BUSTER, which is coming soon from Tokyopop.

I just recently checked this out, and it looks like a good novel. At least it should be, as I'm a .hack fan.
I'm actually surprised that all of these new stories are coming when they said the .hack//Legend anime was going to be the last of the .hack series. (They probably meant that part of the .hackers legend.) I'm actually glad to be able to experience more of 'The World'. Prequels are even better!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2