• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Adult swim schedule change

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkcancer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I saw that the line-up for saturdays has changed. Now its:
11:00 Futurama
11:30 Samurai Champloo
12:00 Inuyasha
12:30 s-cry-ed
1:00 Paranoia Agent
1:30 FLCL

Sorry if this has already been posted, but its kinda unusual that they change the line-up in the middle the season, not like after a show has ended or they are about to put on a new one. I guess it mean the rating aren't that good. What are some of your opinions?
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
dang, now I have to stay up late...

dang
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Why do they always add Futurama? Saturday should be all anime, or action, or whatever they call it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkcancer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
well, when i was watching adult swim on wednesday, they said that comedy had alot better ratings then anime on saturdays.
RoByte

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
The schedule was changed because Saturdays were absolutely tanking in ratings. Repeats of Family Guy on Sunday were getting around 1.5 million viewers, while no show on Saturday had more than 200 - 300 thousand.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:06 am Reply with quote
Anime has been getting a lot more exposure and visibility within the last few years, but it's still not all that popular. The ratings and scheduling changes are merely a reflection of that.
Mejeh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
OH NO OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PA has already started aw....
Stupid schedule change, now i missed PA. I have to find another time to watch that episode.*sigh*
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Anime has been getting a lot more exposure and visibility within the last few years, but it's still not all that popular. The ratings and scheduling changes are merely a reflection of that.

I have to dissagree here. Anime is getting more exposure because it earn it. It one of the biggest seller at Suncoast. Big O II had big ratings on Sunday. And before everyone started saying "AnIME IS TEH DOOMED" FMA and GitS:SAC had good ratings. The only reason for ratings demise and changing line ups in because the line is not that good for the typical AS viewers(or anime fans for that mather). Inuyasha can get boring at times. Paranoia Agent is really cool but is not excatly "action". And S-cry-ed doesn't have the fan base nor the hype that FMA or GitS had. When FMA returned and GitS: 2nd gig debuts the action ratings will be back up. Maybe Futurama is back on AS Action, but I can only see Samurai Champloo get a boost in the ratings.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
the problem is everyone's used to adult swim being on sunday, so no one even tunes in on saturdays.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
but isn't it more practical on saturdays? *err... wait, midnight right?*

I mean, some people have to work on mondays

... ???

Anyway, gotta keep watching to help with the ratings
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:54 am Reply with quote
What adult swim really needs is a good slap in the face. A few years ago, FLCL debuted and that was when Adult Swim got it's greatest ratings. No one saw that coming. We need something that everyone already knows about but most people wouldn't expect. Neon Genesis Evangelion, Naruto (I know it's going to Toonami but still), Great Teacher Onizuka, that would liven things up.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:25 am Reply with quote
actually, I think GTO would be perfect for AS, that's the kind of show that would appeal to a ton of people... I can just imagine it... wow, that's a great idea, they should air GTO

but really, I don't think the ratings for anime will draw in people as high and consistently as the other stuff...

but still, an audience is an audience I guess
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
Actually, I think it is a smart idea for this change. Face it: Inu-Yasha is a terrible lead-in show. Viewers expecting Futurama will be completely bummed out if they see Inu-Yasha in it's place, and thus wouldn't tune in for the rest of the night unless they had something they desperately needed to watch, and having not seen most of the new shows on the line-up they probably wouldn't have any idea what to watch if to watch at all. Conversely, Futurama fans who watched FMA afterwards would recognize and probably like and watch FMA if it replaced Futurama, and Samurai Champloo would do well if put first because it does everything in it's grasp to appeal to the hip American young adult that likely makes up most of Futurama's audience. While putting Futurama first might not have been the best choice as a lead-in, it will increase the ratings, which is a very good thing for the anime shows. Paranoia Agent on so late... It might not get good ratings, but the slot actually fits the show's mood very well. Creepy stuff always grabs you really late at night. So i don't see why you should whine about the changes.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'm not whining. I'm just pointing out the fact that Adult Swim Action needs a fire lit under it's ass. Personally, all this means is that I'm going to have to stay up 1 half an hour later to catch FLCL. It doesn't really bother me thought I am a bit saddend to see Trigun leave. That show had it's golden day when it debuted alongside FLCL. They just need to liven up the place is all. Shows like Inuyasha, though comedic and rife with delicious action, can come off as stuffy and boring. Paranoia Agent is a mind-F anime that most people can't or choose not to wrap around their brains due to the fact that they actually have to think about the shows events. That would dissuade about 80% of americans. Samurai Champloo, Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell. Those are all perfect for people who want a dose of action without all of the heavy thinking or the lame feudal era background music. Like I said before, a show like GTO would definately help Adult Swim out.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
Yes, I agree that Inu-Yasha isn't exactly the best lead-in show for those who are reluctant to watch anime. Champloo I think'd be a better choice because it's not what many westerners believe to be the "typical anime". I know a friend of mine who isn't into anime, yet she really enjoyed watching Fullmetal Alchemist and Detective Conan, saying they were good comedies. So I figure a good way to get people into anime would be to show an anime comedy after say, Futurama. I wouldn't exactly say Paranoia Agent and GITS:SAC ae good lead-ins, one wouldn't understand much if picking up from any episode in the middle. I dunno about FLCL either, might scare people away...

Not that I'm saying it's [As]'s job to get people into anime, they're doing a fine job showing anime already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4