• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
evangelion movie?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yukimura69

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
The evangelion movies i see that there are to now can someone please staighten me out here. one movie is the ending of the series sense the series just leaves you. Now someone please without spoiling the movies tell me what each are about and when they take place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
yukimura69 wrote:
The evangelion movies i see that there are to now can someone please staighten me out here. one movie is the ending of the series sense the series just leaves you. Now someone please without spoiling the movies tell me what each are about and when they take place.

Well, there should be the TV ending, Death and Rebirth (which just recaps the ending and shows the beginning of the alternate ending) and The End of Evangelion which is the alternate ending to the TV series. In actuality, EoE runs parallel to the TV series as there are moments in the TV series that crop up in EoE. The TV version just looks at the inner workings of the protagonists' minds while EoE shows the external doins a traspirin'. Wink
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
So in other words Death and Rebirth is pretty much pointless since the events are repeated in End of Evangellion. Though it's worth seeing just for the great bit of Jpop for an ending theme "Tamashi no Refrain." Cool
Laruto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
So in other words Death and Rebirth is pretty much pointless since the events are repeated in End of Evangellion. Though it's worth seeing just for the great bit of Jpop for an ending theme "Tamashi no Refrain." Cool

And not to mention, if you've never seen evangelion Death an Rebirth will fill you in to watch the End Of Eva. However can someone answer this question!

spoiler[When everyone turned into orange liquid did they die? Also , when Rai told Shinji that he has a wish did he wish everyone back? By the way End of EVa happens between episodes 24 and 26 right?]
coldfusion5050

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:

And not to mention, if you've never seen evangelion Death an Rebirth will fill you in to watch the End Of Eva. However can someone answer this question!

spoiler[When everyone turned into orange liquid did they die? Also , when Rai told Shinji that he has a wish did he wish everyone back? By the way End of EVa happens between episodes 24 and 26 right?]

I'll a take shot at it (All preceding comments are rated IMO):

1.) No. spoiler[ It was a kind of rapture where all human beings lost their physical form, which was maintained by the AT Field, and their spiritual bodies began merging into one consummate being.]

2.) Yes. spoiler[Sitting in the primordial soup with Rei (Rai) straddling him, Shinji thought it felt wrong. He would rather rather live a world of separate hearts because it was more human.]

3.) No. spoiler[End of EVA take place during episodes 25 and 26 after 24. There is a lot of debate to as whether End of EVA is an alternate ending to EVA or merely a retelling of the events from the original episodes outside of Shinji's mind. But the time fram is agreed upon.]
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:16 am Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
However can someone answer this question!

IMHO as well:

spoiler[Question #1: Everyone merged to evolve into a higher state of consciousness, but were killed (explanation below). Question #2: Shinji did not wish properly. He only wished for Asuka and himself to return to the world. Question #3: EoE mirrors TV 25 & 26. EoE is an alternate ending in that it shows what happens externally rather than internally. Now, why I think everyone died. When everyone was turned into the orange liquid, they all merged so they would eventually become a new state of being once 3rd Impact was completed. All the souls of the world became red balls (just like the small red ball that Yui gave Shinji - part of her soul - in episode 16 "Splitting of the Breast" that allowed Shinji and Eva Unit 1 to escape from the 12th Angel Leliel.) that entered into the huge Rei/Lilith. Unfortunately, Shinji chose to stop 3rd Impact before it had been completed. Eva Unit 1 burst from the huge angel's eye and all the souls, now the blood of Rei/Lilith, poured down. The sea at the end, in contrast to the blue sea in the beginning of EoE, now runs red with the blood of all of mankind save for Shinji and Asuka.]

Of course, my interpretation is probably the worst possible scenario imaginable. Crying or Very sad
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:10 am Reply with quote
Sheesh, now we have 2 EoE threads on the go, can't we stick to just one? Better still, can't we have no EoE threads at all? It's all been said before so many times...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
So in other words Death and Rebirth is pretty much pointless since the events are repeated in End of Evangellion.
Well not totally pointless. It helped Anno fleese the fanboys out of more of their dosh. Wink
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

spoiler[Yes everyone technically died, but as Rei says "If you wish for others to exist than the walls of their hearts will seperate them again and they will again feel pain." That I suppose leaves it open to interpretation there's the depressing way, Shinji only wished for Asuka to come back or the other interpretation of the line which is they were only the first of an undeterminable number not necessarily the only ones. I think it's more likely the latter since all of Shinji's decisions prior to that effected all of humanity, so why wouldn't this one as well?]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[At the end the person of Asuka was really just a vessel holding a blend of the essences of Asuka, Rei, and Misato. ]
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
spoiler[At the end the person of Asuka was really just a vessel holding a blend of the essences of Asuka, Rei, and Misato. ]

I still say this is a stupid rumor. It doesn't even make sense.
manicx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote
I read that the End of Eva was an alternative ending of the series because the director didn't like the original ending because it was too confusing or left no hope...or something?!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

At the end spoiler[Asuka lying on the beach. Shinji loving trying to choke the piss out her, she is wrapped in Rei's bandages and she touches his face in a caress that Misato would give him. ] That's no rumour mate. Wink
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Swordfish_II wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

At the end spoiler[Asuka lying on the beach. Shinji lovingly trying to choke the piss out her, she is wrapped in Rei's bandages and she touches his face in a caress that Misato would give him. ] That's no rumour mate. Wink

It also fits in with the dreams we see of them in the "Weaving a Stage" episodes (Episodes 14 & 20) and during Shinji's dream near the end of End of Eva.
yukimura69

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Well thanks for answering my question. It seems my question sprouted other questions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2