• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
End of Evangelion

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iemander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering, what are the common opinions about this film.

In my opinion it was horrible, abandonning alot of character development that actually really drove the TV series. It felt like a totally different direction. The TV series ending was a bit better however, but still rather "unbalanced" in the entire other direction.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Answered alot of question, but definitely was incomplete.

A very good film, sadly imo, like the TV ending, doesnt really live up to the rest of the series.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
People tend to have even more extreme reactions to End of Evangelion than they do to the series itself. Most tend to either really love it or really hate it because it's so intense and shockingly bizarre.

Personally, I loved it. I found it to be one of the most intense and inventive anime titles I've ever seen. Just as much philosophizing, psychological muddlings, and symbolic imagery as the regular series, only ramped up even further in intensity. I also found the alternate take on the original ending quite intriguing (though I liked the original, too). Does it answer all the questions raised by the series? Absolutely not, but it wasn't meant to, either.

End of Evangelion is one of those titles where you really can't go by what reviews say or what other people's opinions of it are. Moreseo than with any other title, each anime fan has to see it and make a decision on it for themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
akitainu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:00 am Reply with quote
I wholly agree on the subjective nature of EoE. I loved the TV series, and despite my best defenses...fell apart during EoE. My wife, on the other hand, shrugged and said "it was good, but..." Reviews and recollections are important only to the authors.
CrimsonPh33r

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I found the film divine really.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
CrimsonPh33r wrote:
I found the film divine really.

Just looking at your avatar shows me that you would like all things NGE Wink

I finally watched EoE for the second time after putting it away for a year and a half. It was such a hard movie to watch. After rewatching NGE all the way through, I actually liked the ending of the TV series (still do), but I found it very hard to see how EoE finished. Having now rewatched it the movie, I appreciate it a lot more.

NGE and Cowboy Bebop are two anime that I really love because they spoiler[don't end on a happy note]. Almost everything in western TV does, at least from what I've seen, and I found it very refreshing to see Bebop and NGE end the way they did. I loved Bebop's ending right from the get-go, but it took a while for NGE to grow on me, mostly because of Shinji's spoiler[utter weakness].
coldfusion5050

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Chiroptera Rex wrote:

NGE and Cowboy Bebop are two anime that I really love because they spoiler[don't end on a happy note] . . . .

Well, IMHO, spoiler[I thought the original ending of the series ended on a very happy note; though a lot of people disagree with me.]

As for End of EVA, remarkable. The story, the art, the music -- I thought it was absolutely well-done. Even though I could have still lived with the original and not piqued Anno's wrath.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
coldfusion5050 wrote:
Chiroptera Rex wrote:

NGE and Cowboy Bebop are two anime that I really love because they spoiler[don't end on a happy note] . . . .

Well, IMHO, spoiler[I thought the original ending of the series ended on a very happy note; though a lot of people disagree with me.]

As for End of EVA, remarkable. The story, the art, the music -- I thought it was absolutely well-done. Even though I could have still lived with the original and not piqued Anno's wrath.

That's what I meant when I said, "I actually liked the ending of the TV series" because spoiler[it is quite happy. It appears at the end of TV ep 26 that Shinji will actually become a better person through what he has learned. EoE turns the TV ending completely on its head. Although they run parallel to each other the endings are pretty divergent.] I know didn't make that clear in my post, but that's what I meant.

And yes, EoE is simply stunning in terms of plot, visuals and audio quality. They really spare no expense.
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion I think people really missunderstand the end of the show, and both movies. they are all differnt views of the exact same ending. Shinji Get up the balls to tell humanity to fudge off and then ends up saving them in the end. The entire show Is one big enigma, trust me i have spent the better part of five years attempting to grip evey thing in eva and it has taught me two things,

The people at Gainax Are on Drugs
And They really know how to wright stories that involve Emminse Charcter Development.

Just think in the fans had not threatend Mr.Anno with death threats and nasty letters we would not even have The End of Evangelion or Death and rebirth.

Personally I enjoyed the movie, Both of them infact. I also love the ending of the Show for its Creativeness and its uniqueness.

Love Evangelion Or Hate it I still Would Agree The it is one of the most infulentual anime,s Ever created.

This opinion does not affect the general viewing audience of the Japanaease Telivision anime. This is in no way shape or form forcing any opinions on any other persons living or dead.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote
The movie was pretty good but it takes multiple viewings to understand exactly what the hell is going on. My opinion of it would be higher if they hadn't killed off my favorite character spoiler[Misato but then again Shinji's decision gave everyone who wanted to the right to reform from the orange tang and be human again and she was present during instrumentality.] I go for theory that the movie and TV ending are actually the same ending, myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1