• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Manga Museum Exhibits Manga-Inspired N. American Artists

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:13 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
I wouldn't bet on the fact, that Akamatsu is aware of foreign audiences making a difference between the words manga and comic.

Maybe. Still, Akamatsu seems a progressive international-thinking beyond-Japan kind of guy, so wouldn't put it past him.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
isn't there like...three different ways of writing the word "manga" in Japanese, and that each different way has their own connotations? I'm pretty sure somebody mentioned that in the manga-styled-comics debate thread...

regardless of whether or not N. American Artists can produce authentic manga, I still hate the phrase "manga-style" so very much. It heavily implies that all manga has to have big eyes/spikey hair/whateverbullsh*t when manga has so many other styles to offer!

There's techniques that's universally used in manga- but technique creates different styles. (which is why Pokemon & Death Note's manga don't look alike! If they did look alike, then and only then would they share a "style")

When will people learn? @ A @
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Incidentally, Ken Akamatsu named his manga site "J-Comi" which I've wondered about. Laughing

There are plenty of manga magazines that call themselves "comics".

Like I mentioned before, comics is a more general term, as a superset of manga, so that usage makes sense. manga, manhua, manhwa are all comics, BUT not all comics are manga, etc. If they are all the same, they would use them interchangeably in any direction, yet they themselves definitely don't. Again, aside from the fact that "manga" was already coined and in use way before the introduction of Western comics, they wouldn't be asking this question if there was no distinction.

And that distinction has been quite clear-cut as simply based on country of origin--specifically language and publication. It's ridiculous to call a DC comic a manga, manhua, or manhwa. And the local Japanese or Korean or Chinese would NEVER think you're talking about an American comic if you ask for such. However, if you ask for a store selling "comics" then they might ask what kind specifically.

Now, much the same with anime, there's a popular style or certain stylistic methods originating from and associated with manga, so much so we might rationally call a comic manga-influenced or even manga-"style". I do think though, that "OEL manga" is a better term than manga-style since the style itself can vary a lot. It's much the same why there's manhwa vs manga even when both share the same styles, with the only thing distinguishing the terms --unambiguously--is simply country of origin. Maybe we need to come up with another term like Manka or Manika if you want something more specific yet distinguishable.

It's analogous to "Bollywood" vs "Hollywood". Even if there's no break-out dancing and singing that popularized Bollywood, if it was downright serious with multiple ethnicities, set in another location the Indian film would STILL be a Bollywood film. And a Hollywood film mimicking that previously popular Bollywood film would still be a Hollywood film
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
If they are all the same, they would use them interchangeably in any direction, yet they themselves definitely don't.

From my experience I'm not so certain about this. There might be people who don't, but others certainly do (and so does any definition given in dictionaries), because if you tell them that you read manga, they understand it as "read any kind of comic" and you will have to specify that you talk about "Japanese comics".

Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
isn't there like...three different ways of writing the word "manga" in Japanese, and that each different way has their own connotations?

I don't believe they do, apart from the "feeling" the "font" conveys (f.ex. katakana = italic, hiragana = soft). I've seen all of them used in your average manga-cafe or bookstore or in the books / magazines themselves. I believe each of them will use whichever the owner/editor thought looked best.

Quote:
I still hate the phrase "manga-style" so very much. It heavily implies that all manga has to have big eyes/spikey hair/whateverbullsh*t when manga has so many other styles to offer!

Of course you're right, but most foreign readers never really get to know that. And for sure aborad what is known as the "standard manga style" is much more popular than any other, which reflects directly in the sales. If all Josei oder Seinen series were drawn like average shojo or shonen ones, they'd sell a lot more.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:24 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
isn't there like...three different ways of writing the word "manga" in Japanese, and that each different way has their own connotations?

I don't believe they do, apart from the "feeling" the "font" conveys (f.ex. katakana = italic, hiragana = soft). I've seen all of them used in your average manga-cafe or bookstore or in the books / magazines themselves. I believe each of them will use whichever the owner/editor thought looked best.

I suppose that's true, though I was mostly thinking about this when I was asking:
ridiculus wrote:
There are manga (漫画) and there are manga (マンガ) and maybe even manga (まんが) and their connotations are not exactly the same. And, for the Japanese publishers, komikkusu (comics, コミックス) is an alternative name for tankobon or 'comic collection(s)', be it Japanese in origin, or Korean, or French, or American or whatever.

I personally have no idea what (漫画), (マンガ) or (まんが) means though, 'cept that they all spell manga u_u (Unless its like that thing you said before)

Quote:
Quote:
I still hate the phrase "manga-style" so very much. It heavily implies that all manga has to have big eyes/spikey hair/whateverbullsh*t when manga has so many other styles to offer!

Of course you're right, but most foreign readers never really get to know that. And for sure aborad what is known as the "standard manga style" is much more popular than any other, which reflects directly in the sales. If all Josei oder Seinen series were drawn like average shojo or shonen ones, they'd sell a lot more.

Sigh, sad but true.

Still, I think a lot of it has a lot of it has to do with demographics too. Shounen & Shoujo, besides an appeal in style, end up becoming popular because most anime/manga fans fall into those age groups.

That and I don't think that many Josei get licensed here in the states, but there's a few Seinen titles that have become popular, such as Death Note.

Still, your explanation explains why so many generic shonen & shoujo titles become popular again and again, so long as they "look" like they're on the cover of Shonen Jump/Shoujo Beat, etc
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2