• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Animerica's Last Issue.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitora

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Today the last issue of Animerica magazine was released and although I have yet to recieve it I sure that it will be the best one yet. According to the Animerica website it's parent company Viz has decided to cancel it.Evidently the magazine will now be a free mini mag available in Waldenbooks stores and anime conventions. My reason for posting this is that I wish to know how you all feel about this.

This is the first topic that I have ever posted so please be kind okay. Smile
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
It’s weird to think that Animerica won’t be around anymore. I used to buy it almost every month…7 or 8 years ago, that is. I guess I’m of the opinion that Animerica isn’t really needed anymore; Newtype USA has replaced it as most fans’ favorite anime magazine. I find that their coverage is more complete, their columns are more interesting, and they just seem a lot more “in touch” with the fans. Sure, NTUSA is more expensive, but I feel it’s worth it. I even have a subcription to NTUSA, something I never felt I needed with Animerica. Animerica wasn’t a bad magazine, but it’s just not the best there is anymore, and if you’re not the best, you’re no longer as profitable as you once were. I think Viz is doing the right thing.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
I've only read a few issues myself, but that sucks, it was a good magazine. As for Newtype it's more expensive than I'm willing to spend for a mag subscription and since it comes sealed in plastic you can't even try it before you buy it. Sad
mitora

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Kruzer wrote:
I've only read a few issues myself, but that sucks, it was a good magazine. As for Newtype it's more expensive than I'm willing to spend for a mag subscription and since it comes sealed in plastic you can't even try it before you buy it. Sad

Yeah, I never really cared for Newtype, it just is'nt as good as Animerica. I mean sure it's cool to get all the freebies but I dont enjoy the articals as much as I enjoy Animerica's. Wink
Aokage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow...to think that Animerica won't be around anymore. That would be like Wizard suddenly ceasing to be. Animerica has been around for a long time. It was at the forefront of anime, long before it became a national sensation. We're talking back in the day when fansubs were all done on VHS tapes. I can remember reading Animerica when I was about 11 or 12. I'm 21 now. So that is about ten years ago. And that is just the time frame I am aware of. The magazine may be even older than that. I remember one issue where they had an article that compared American Mech's to Japanese Mecha. It was a pretty cool article.

As for New Type. They have been around for a long time, so I can respect them too. The magazine may be new to the west, but it is a long standing publication in Japan. I do enjoy the preview DVD's that come with each issue. It makes the price of the magazine seem highly justified. The magazine covers a lot, including ratings of anime that aren't even domestically availble. They are deep. I think it will be a worthy successor to America's choice of anime magazines.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:27 am Reply with quote
Aokage wrote:
As for New Type. They have been around for a long time, so I can respect them too. The magazine may be new to the west, but it is a long standing publication in Japan. I do enjoy the preview DVD's that come with each issue. It makes the price of the magazine seem highly justified. The magazine covers a lot, including ratings of anime that aren't even domestically availble. They are deep. I think it will be a worthy successor to America's choice of anime magazines.

They had the coolest TV commercials back in the day. I remember watching them during Zeta CM breaks where they would show the current issue's cover and poster to some cool music. My room had 22 full sized Gundam posters (mostly Newtype) covering/wallpapering the walls! When the magazine first started it had a very few ads in it. By the early 90s I felt as though every other page was an ad so I stopped collecting it.
mitora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to say thanks to all those who posted, I really appreciate it. Smile
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I hear that even Newtype's having problems. The disc is missing now from store-shelf issues (and it still costs the same!), the paper quality has gone down...
I still like it, but Play Magazine's always had good anime stuff. I heard they may even be expanding it out soon. Hope so.
It's good to be an otaku gamer. Very Happy
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I liked Animerica. I always felt like getting a second opinion about anime and manga was a good thing. But the quality level just kept going down. They would be reviewing stuff that was months old. And sometimes they would have more video game reviews than manga. I actually feel like Newtype has a lot of fluff in it, and a lot of the sections could be jettisoned. The bad thing is that Animerica did not inform anyone they were going out of business, and I'm now stuck with 6 months of Shojo Beat, the evil twin of Shonen Jump. It would be nice if they made a more mature manga anthology, just highlighting the best manga, whatever genre.
Anime Angie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:27 am Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
The bad thing is that Animerica did not inform anyone they were going out of business

Yeah, I thought that was EXTRA crummy about this whole thing. I saw an ad for a local anime convention in my area coming up (AFO6)...good thing they got that in before the magazine got cancelled. Crazy!
Seraph

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe this! Animerica was the first anime mag I ever bought Sad I loved the articals, and even though most of the shows they reviewed were older, they were still good reviews. I do pick up Newtype, but they say every anime in the mag is good, Animerica was honest and would tell you what sucked.
I guess I'll have to give Protoculure a try.
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
So Long and Thanks for All the Fish
The Time of Your Life
A few songs to listen to in this time of sadness.

Last edited by Alchemist449 on Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alchemist449

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Darn Double Post
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quote
When I heard that aniemrca was going to get cnaceled my dad got very happy, Why? The postman kept on stealing them. Every single issue was stolen since December, I was plainng on getyting anime Insider but my dad won't let me.
mitora

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
When I heard that aniemrca was going to get cnaceled my dad got very happy, Why? The postman kept on stealing them. Every single issue was stolen since December, I was plainng on getyting anime Insider but my dad won't let me.

Wow... that sucks. I think that I would kill my mailman if they ever did that. :wink:Oh BTW I got the mag last week and it rocked.Anime smile Please go pick it up at your local bookstore oukii?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1