• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Need a new anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoshimashin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
I've seen my share of anime, but its been some time sense I've seen something new. I like fantasy anime, like Slayers and things like that. Any recommendations would be great.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Man, there've been a lot of recommendation threads lately..

OK, so you like fantasy, eh?

Vision of Escaflowne -- It's a mixture of mecha and fantasy, a very good one at that. The style is also a mix between shounen and shoujo, so it's got a fair share of drama and action.

The art and animation are OK, but the music is one of the focal points. Since you say you're new to anime, I don't know if the names Yoko Kanno or Hajime Mizoguchi ring a bell, but the soundtrack for this series is a total masterpiece.

Most people enjoy this title a great deal, and I hope you will too.

There's also a movie, but I wouldn't recommend watching it until after the series. It's also suppose to be an "alternate universe" of sorts, so if you ever watch the series and end up seeing the movie afterwards, don't go into it expecting a sequel or anything.

Record of Lodoss War (OAV) -- This is something I'd recommend if you're into the traditional medieval fantasy genre (like "Lord of the Rings").

It's a little old by today's standards, but the artwork and music are excellent, regardless. It's a pretty straight-forward plot with some OK character development, but the way it's directed makes it worthwhile.

Try and avoid the dub though, while a lot of the supporting characters do slightly below average to OK jobs, the main character's dub is bad. He does a lot of fake panting when he gets hit or knocked down, and trust me, that happens a lot.

Overall though, it's an excellent vintage title.

Berserk -- One of the top fantasy titles in both the anime and manga world. It's dark nature and well written character development make it a masterpiece of storytelling.

If you like violence and gore, this won't dissapoint you. The characters are pretty well grounded, there's a little magic and some supernatural elements, but the plot twists and drama are what make this series so great.

I won't go into anymore detail, but if the user ratings mean anything, please do check this title out.
--------------

That's all I have for now. If I remember anything I'll post it at another time, hope this helps.
Aokage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Scrapped Princess:
It has become common folklore that if the princess of the country is allowed to live, that her life will bring about the apocalypse. With a trusted bodyguard in tow, this young female fights for her life to prove that she won't be the end of the world.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi:
Two children (a brother and sister) are on their way home one evening, when they notice something strange. Nothing on their block is as they remember it. Now they are lost in a world of ninja's, pirates and aliens, as they try and find their way home...

Ikkitousen:
The Romance of the Three Kingdoms comes to life in modern Japan. Instead of a war over country side, this battle is waged over control of school ground areas. The combatants, high schoolers, endowed with the souls of ancient Chinese warriors
Dragononi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of fantasy anime, has anyone watched the Final Fantasy anime? If so, is it any good?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
banvi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Dragononi wrote:
Speaking of fantasy anime, has anyone watched the Final Fantasy anime? If so, is it any good?

I have watched the whole series (Final Fantasy Unlimited).. i would rate it 2.5 stars out of 5. The storyline is ok, a little confusing.. not that great. Most of the episodes end with the "same" move which gets annoying..
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Yoshimashin wrote:
I've seen my share of anime, but its been some time sense I've seen something new. I like fantasy anime, like Slayers and things like that. Any recommendations would be great.

If you like Slayers, then check out Rune Soldier. A really good comedy fantasy adventure, almost a satire on the fantasy genre.
Zeff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I think you should watch Berserk Razz
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Dragononi, I think you should watch Final Fantasy VII, the movie, when it comes out this year. The fighting is nice and so are the graphics. I think you can see the trailer on g4tv.com
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote
Loveless is kind of fantasy in its own way. Though it is kind of Yaoi not A LOT but just some kissing Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop The music is good to oo. Oh just thought of another one! Erementar Gerad is a good fantasy, but it just started. There are 9 episodes as I know of so far that i've watched!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1