• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question: Banner of the Stars worth watching?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nirvana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Crest of the Stars a few months back and I'm wondering if the sequels are worth watching at all? I mean, I didn't watch Crest of the Stars for the "action"....... So I'm just wondering if Banner of the Stars consists of anything besides "action".... (the action wasn't that great =/).... I looked up the genre of the aniem and it said action and sci-fi... So I dont think it's worth watching, anyone have any suggestions for what I should do?
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote
The sequels are VERY much worth watching. The action in them is on a much grander scale than what you saw in Crest, and also they're still very much character and plot driven series, which is good since they are adaptions on the novels.

Essentially, ALL of Crest and Banner and Banner II are worth watching AND buying, as they happen to be the BEST sci-fi anime series I've ever had the priviledge of watching.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Here's how the shows break down; Banner of the Stars II > Crest of the Stars >> Banner of the Stars. It's not quite clear from your post, did you like Crest of the Stars? If you did not like it because there was not enough action, then you most certainly will not like the sequels, the Crest/Banner series always focuses more on drama and character interaction than action.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Crest of the Stars and it's sequels Banner of the Stars and Banner of the Stars II are all excellent series and some of my all time favorites. If you liked CotS than you'll love the seqels too as their more of the same though more action oriented. However, all three of these series do an excellent job with the character development and interaction though.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Crest/Banner of the Stars is one of my favorite franchises. As you've already witnessed, there isn't a whole lot of action, but that's because the main focus of the series is to show the character development and interaction between Jinto and Lafiel.

In addition to what little action there is, I enjoy this franchise for the relationship that the two of them share and the drama that accompanies their adventures through each series.

Crest was really more of an introduction to those two and a buildup for what was to come in Banner I.

Banner I takes place on a larger stage because of the events that unfolded at the end of Crest. There's a little more action in Banner I, but only in terms of battleships and such (think kind of like "Star Trek: The Next Generation").

There's also a little more revealed about the growing feelings of those two and how the current events of Banner I begin to affect their character and personalities as they continue to age.

Banner II: spoiler[ is more of a drama that serves to continually expose their growing relation, but in a more suspenseful manner. If you watch Crest and Banner I all the way through, you might pick up on the very subtle romance that develops between them, but they never actually admit to those feelings.

In Banner II, you see a little bit of that admission and also see a side of Lafiel that explains why the Abh are so widely known around the universe (which I found totally creepy, yet cool at the same time Anime catgrin).]

The Crest/Banner of the Stars franchise is very slow moving and with a low amount of action. I'd recommend this to people who like science fiction dramas or strong character development, but if a lot of dialogue bores you, then try Outlaw Star or G Gundam instead.
Nirvana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I did enjoy CotS...

Thanks all for your input, I guess I'll watch the sequels. I was just afraid of getting it because the genre was considered "action" and CotS had no action. I enjoy drama/character development so according to you guys, it'll be a good series. Thanks again =)
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Nirvana wrote:
Yeah, I did enjoy CotS...

Thanks all for your input, I guess I'll watch the sequels. I was just afraid of getting it because the genre was considered "action" and CotS had no action. I enjoy drama/character development so according to you guys, it'll be a good series. Thanks again =)

Did you even watch the last 2 eps, LOL. Plenty of action in those episodes. I loved the huge romp through the fantasy park, though. That in itself was quite amusing Laughing.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:42 am Reply with quote
If I'm reading the original post correctly, you enjoyed the drama but not the action for Crest, heard that Banner was mainly action with little drama, and are hesitant to watch it. Although there is more action in Banner, the drama is still good. I believe you will really like Banner II though, since there is pleanty of good drama there. I'm not sure if you will like Banner I though from your original post. My advise is to endure Banner I since Banner II sounds really up your alley.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1