• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Two Easy Fixes

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris keck

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:57 am Reply with quote
mina-san,

I'd like to suggest two simple changes to the encyclopedia page format that would eliminate (or at least greatly reduce the confusion) of new users.

It seems like at least once a week someone posts asking how to rate an anime or manga title (such as totodile1's recent post). There aren't any obvious instructions on the encyclopedia page that you have to become a member, add it to My Anime...etc. I suggest that the My Anime link on the upper right be changed from just "add this title to My Anime" to something like "To add your rating first add this title to My Anime". Making it a larger font would help too.

The other thing that could be addressed with a simple change is people posting what are considered small errors - ones that should be reported through the "Report an error on this page" button. Unfortunately, unless there is almost no information on the page the Report error button will be below the bottom of the screen. If there is a lot of information on the page you have to scroll down quite a bit to find it. If the Report error button was moved to the top of the page it would be much more obvious. Perhaps at the top of the right column.

chris keck

Last edited by chris keck on Sat May 14, 2005 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:15 am Reply with quote
No, there is no need to fix things. People are just too stupid too look for themselves and pay attention.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Is it really that much of a problem? I don't think the format needs to be changed because people are too lazy to actually try and figure things out on their own. Anime smile; Not meaning to be rude...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Is it really that much of a problem? I don't think the format needs to be changed because people are too lazy to actually try and figure things out on their own. Anime smile; Not meaning to be rude...

Well, there is a difference between reducing confusion, and outright laziness. My current job deals with both types of customers on a regular basis, so I can usually tell the difference between the two. Anything that reduces confusion and prevents fewer questions (if it is in fact easy to implement) at least deserves fair consideration.

Granted, it may not be the best solution, but basing it on the sole reason of laziness doesn't seem a fair way to pass judgement. It seems he at least gave some logical reasons to consider it, and I do find that they carry some merit.

Last edited by Godaistudios on Sat May 14, 2005 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
If I were customer service, I would ignore the fixes requested by customers asking for them who were just plain lazy. Fixing something something that is confusing for users makes more sense.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Granted, it may not be the best solution, but basing it on the sole reason of laziness doesn't seem a fair way to pass judgement. It seems he at least gave some logical reasons to consider it, and I do find that they carry some merit.

I understand that, but is it really causing so much confusion that it should be changed? Or is it just a handful of users that just aren't looking hard enough? I've been on so many forums where the most obvious things still have people coming in and asking "How do I do this?" when if they had just actually looked at the options available to them they could've figured it out instead of having someone hold their hand through the website. x_X
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, it may not get asked "every" week, but in the length of time I've been on here, I've seen enough questions on how to do things that I can't help but wonder if his suggestions might be worth considering. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
chris keck

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
To Godaistudios,

Thank you for your considerate remarks about my ideas. I'm glad the ANN has at least one member who is open to ideas for improving the site.

chris keck
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1