• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[done] Rename person: IL WON (#18089)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
IL WON (with both parts apparently contributed as surname) has been created at ANN with a kanji given name of "元一".

His correct name is WON (surname) Il (given name), with kanji 元 (Uon, surname) 一 (Iru, given name).
His hangul name is 원(Won)일(Il).

Sources:
http://www.maniadb.com/artist.asp?p=107491
http://www.koreapop.com/people.php?code=1563
http://wonpuri.seesaa.net/ (his Japanese blog where the ANN picture comes from)
http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/원더풀_데이즈#.EC.9D.8C.EC.95.85 (korean Wikipedia page for "Sky Blue" (Wonderful Days) where he wrote the musical score for)

Please hide the kanji give name for IL WON (so that both parts can then be set correctly).

It would also be reasonable to rename the person if possible.
(Or perhaps add a new person with his correct name and purge this one?)

(Edit: Thread name adapted after kanji name removal.)

Last edited by Devil Doll on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:23 am; edited 2 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
It would also be reasonable to rename the person if possible.
(Or perhaps add a new person with his correct name and purge this one?)

I removed the incorrect kanji, but when I wanted to create a new entry for him the system denied my action: it told me "Won, Il" doesn't exist but ", IL WON" does. and did not allow me to override. Perhaps only Dan can fix it. Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
(with both parts apparently contributed as surname)

It actually looks like both parts have been submitted as a given name, but in capital letters.

I would have expected that sort of error to be a soft ("Did you mean..? Do you have that backwards?") error, not a brick wall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Fixed the name.
The system prevented dormcat from adding (Il)(Won) because fundamentally it's a duplicate of (Il Won)(). And I'm rather happy it did so, because purging & re-adding is not meant to be used for a simple formatting blunder like this; it's for cases where a mistake in the name changes the identity of the person, for example if the name was written "Il Wan"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
His blog http://wonpuri.seesaa.net/ has his name as ウォン (Won) イル (Il), so I set these as his kanji name, and changed the thread title to "[done]".
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Since we have a fair number of Korean people in the database, would Hangul names be something worth capturing instead/as well as kanji names for those people?

I do really wish that instead of "purging" you could move a credit, which would then have an audit log attached explaining the move and bring up a message if someone tried to re-enter at the original location.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Korean people in Japanese anime (low-level animators, mostly, but occasionally an episode director as well) will be credited in kanji.

Korean people in Korean anime (such as Wonderful Days in the case of this thread) will be credited in hangul.

So since non-japanese anime are allowed at ANN, I wouldn't suggest to use the kanji field for hangul but rather enhance the data model.

The question might then be whether there could be other notation systems as well in the future (Cyrillic?), in which case the additional fields (surname, given name) might be named "native notation". (Making it more difficult to implement a syntax check for valid input though, unless complemented by an additional drop-down list for "language of native notation".)

By the way, WON IL already has his "hangul name" as "(Other information):", just not visible for anyone other than the contributor of this information.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
Korean people in Japanese anime (low-level animators, mostly, but occasionally an episode director as well) will be credited in kanji.

They are credited in either hanja, katakana, or romanized. Case by case.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Of course your description is more precise than mine. What I intended to say is: They will be credited using a symbol set that's either the romanized name (i. e. the ANN "name") or something that would go into the kanji field in case of a Japanese person.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1