• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
HOTD Full Color Edition

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedockboons500

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I just bought the full color edition. Anyone else buy it? I think its awesome, what are your thoughts?

I made a review video on youtube, check it out of you want to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58xHsv_ioZI&feature=channel_video_title
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that does look pretty awesome. I wasn't planning on buying the colored version, but now I'm tempted. Confused
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
I got it last week. It's a beautiful book. There's lots of extra content added in (bonus images, background info on characters, guns, vehicles, design sketches with commentary). The jacket has a nice poster on the reverse side and the real cover image matches the jacket image but without the bloody handprints.

Update: just watched the video review. LOL that the camera zoomed into Saya's breasts for a long moment, intentional or not. I still plan to get the b/w editions since it'll probably be a long while before the next color edition gets realeased. The b/w editions are also good for taking on trips while leaving the color edition back home.
suicideshorty74

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I bought and read the first 4 volumes of the black and white manga and I thought they were awesome (I also watched the series which was really good too), do you think it's worth buying the colored version?

I'm probably going to get it, I just want to know what you think considering you have it.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Looks real good, I've been torn on wether to get it or not as when it comes off hiatus they'd have to release another and its a wee bit expensive although its good value when you consider its 4 full colour volumes.

like i say im torn, cheers for the vid.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
Anyone know if anything like this was released in Japan or is this an original thing by Yen Press to try and make it appeal to more people?
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
as i recall there were full colour editions released in japan. they came out in monthly dragon age
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote
They were released in Japan, but if I recall correctly, I don't think it was Shoji Satou who colored them. Which is kind of a bummer.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
It is a very nice book indeed, but I only enjoy the zombie element of HotD and not the fan service. The only thing this book does is make it more perverted (if that is possible). I won't be double dipping in this case but it would be really nice to see something like this done with other manga from Yen Press and I think they have done a fantastic job of it. I thought with 4 books in one it was going to be ridiculously over sized, but this is definately not. I guess the B+W books are relatively thin compared to all of my other manga though.
thedockboons500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Looks real good, I've been torn on wether to get it or not as when it comes off hiatus they'd have to release another and its a wee bit expensive although its good value when you consider its 4 full colour volumes.

like i say im torn, cheers for the vid.

Ya man i need some more HOTD, but i think the artist is doing another manga right now call triage x or something along the lines of that. The drawings from that manga are very similar.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
It looks like the Japanese color edition got four paperbacks instead of a single hardcover.

I enjoy the fanservice element along with the story. A good portion of the extras in the book is fanservice (by definition as well as connotation).

I justify double dipping as having the b/w editions for travel reading while treating the color copy as an artbook to be enjoyed at home. It's heavy enough and graphic enough that I wouldn't want to have it out while savoring a drink at a McCafe.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, I just bought vol 1 last week without knowledge of this edition. Just saw it at the comic store. Now I don't know if I should continue with the black & white vols, or sell the one I have and go for this version.
thedockboons500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Dammit, I just bought vol 1 last week without knowledge of this edition. Just saw it at the comic store. Now I don't know if I should continue with the black & white vols, or sell the one I have and go for this version.

Depends on how much you like the series. I have volumes 1 to 3 in black and white, and when this colored one came out I bought it. But I am probably going to wait and get the next colored edition. But hopefully we get volume 7 bundled with the blu-ray disc with the OVA like they did in Japan
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
thedockboons500 wrote:
But hopefully we get volume 7 bundled with the blu-ray disc with the OVA like they did in Japan

I doubt that, since Yen Press doesn't author/encode/translate dvds or blurays. I imagine Sentai Filmworks will probably release the Ova on (overpriced) bluray/dvd somewhere down the line.
ReaKon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:55 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:

I definately would if I was you. Looking in the UK, you can get the hardback omnibus for a little more than the remaining 3 volumes. The extra 2-3 pound could easily be made back selling your vol 1. The price variances must be similar in the US...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2