• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Adult Swim Action

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gyro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Do you watch Adult Swim Action? I watch every Saturday night. Cowboy Bebop is, of course, the best show on the block. What do you think about the other shows, like YuYu and Pilot Candidate? YuYu is alright, but Pilot Candidate just plain sucks. Also I'm really enjoying Gundam 0083. Well, what do you guys think of Adult Swim Action?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dudesup

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 3:13 pm Reply with quote
The adult swim is the best part of the week. Im watching yu yu hakusho, outlaw star and tenchi. I hadnt seen outlaw star nor tenchi. I own the cowboy bebop dvds and pilot candidate kind of sucks.
Vicious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I like Yu Yu Hakusho so far, I just hope it doesn't lose it's humor now that Yusuke is alive and going off to fight demons. Not near as bad a localization from Funimation as I expected either, except for Kuwibara actor who took Vegeta's already overacted voice and made it ten times worst. Cowboy Bebop is my favorite show, but I went ahead and got the dvd's so I don't watch on CN anymore. Pilot Candidate and Gundam I hadn't really given a chance.
dudesup

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Kuwabara's reaction to the dream about kissing yuzuke was hilarious Laughing
Ramza
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Even though I've seen the entire series subbed before, I've been watching Yu Yu Hakusho and that's it. Outlaw Star is another good show on there while Tenchi never really did much for me. I still haven't gotten around to watching Cowboy Bebop or Gundam 0083 yet though I'd like to.

Except for maybe during the huge deep battles later YYH, as in around episode 70 or so, the series does always have a good amount of humor going on. The next few episodes will start to take the series into somewhat of a transition, where the fighting gets a little more heavier, but it still remains to be a great show. The fighting gets to be a lot more exciting than what it has been up until now as well.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Wha-wha-what? You haven't seen Bebop yet? I thought BeBop was like some sort of prerequisite for, like, existing on planet Earth. Where've you been? Jeez.

And I'm liking Yu Yu Hakusho a whole hell of a lot, for some odd reason. It's like an animated Kunio-kun game, what with the street gangs and the slick, gutsy protagonist - but with MONSTERS! WOO! It's really funny and the characters all play off each other real well, just like Dragonball before all the characters seemed to do was grunt.

Gundam 0083 comes on around 1:30 here, so I'm usually passed out by then. It looks neat, though.

Pilot Candidate "exudes 'lame' like some sort of bodily fluid," to quote my friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hagakure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:52 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

Wha-wha-what? You haven't seen Bebop yet? I thought BeBop was like some sort of prerequisite for, like, existing on planet Earth. Where've you been? Jeez.

Very true. I too have bought the DVD boxed set so I don't watch it much on tv anymore, especialy considering the cuts (although I am not bitter about the cuts, CN did a more modes job than usual)

I have wanted to see Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory ever since I saw the trailers on my Gundam Wing tapes (that was about four years ago, and I had just learned about the anime fanbase) I was happy to see it come to TV but nevertheless I bought the DVDs (at least what there is availible now) to own.
dudesup

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:58 am Reply with quote
What happened in last saturdays yyh? I missed it. Crying or Very sad
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:27 am Reply with quote
dudesup wrote:

What happened in last saturdays yyh? I missed it. :cry:

**SPOILERS**

Is that enough space?

Okay, here's a quick summary:

Yusuke's got 3 days left before Enma returns, so he's gotta find Hiei. Unfortunately, Keiko walks in on him and Botan talking about it. Botan almost gives away Yusuke's "secret" (the whole Spirit Detective 'gig') but Yusuke stops her. Obviously, hanging around a pretty girl, and saying that "I'm going to be busy with Botan" aren't the proper things to say, and Keiko gets mad at him and leaves.. Botan does mention that Yusuke will need to tell Keiko everything sooner or later.

While walking home, Keiko gets abducted by Hiei. He leaves a Ki/spirit energy trail for Yusuke to follow back to his hideout. Meanwhile, Hiei's been talking to Botan telepathically, and she tells Yusuke that he wants the two Spirit Items back, in exchange for Keiko. Yusuke brings'em, and gives them to Hiei in exchange for Keiko's life.

However, Hiei has already cut her with the Sword (whose full name I can't recall..) and she's slowly turning into a demon. Botan uses her healing powers to slow down her transformation, but once her 3rd eye opens (similar to Hiei's 3rd eye) she'll be a demon too. (It sounded irreversible after that point, but I don't think they said it overtly)

Yusuke and Hiei fight... Yusuke gets some hits in, and Hiei realizes that when Yusuke is in danger, his Ki increases dramatically. Rather than toy with his opponent (Freeza) he fully powers up and proceeds to trash Yusuke pretty soundly. His ultimate form is this green demi-human with eyes all over his body. Also when he transformed, Keiko began to weaken and turn into a demon faster -- Botan's hands are being singed by the amount of power she has to put out to slow it down, now.

He binds Yusuke with magical chains, and prepares to kill him... and as he's lunging towards him with the Sword... Kurama appears! Kurama steps in the way of the sword and takes the blow (recall: Kurama is a demon, and thus cannot be turned into a demon by the sword). He tosses his blood into Hiei's 3rd eye, blinding him temporarily. With his 3rd eye temporarily blinded, Hiei loses his powers, and can't bind Yusuke anymore. However, it doesn't work for long -- as soon as Hiei cleaned up his eye, he's back in action again.

Yusuke spots something glinting in the corner of his eye, and makes a plan. He fires the Spirit Gun at Hiei, who dodges it. It looks like that's the end, but then the blast comes from out of nowhere and hits Hiei in the back! Yusuke used the Forlorn Hope (mirror) to reflect the shot. Hiei un-transforms and falls unconscious. Yay Good Guys.

Botan explains what happened to everyone afterwords:
Kurama isn't imprisoned, he was let out on "good behaviour".
Although he got the 3 items back, Enma figured out what happened anyway and spanked Koenma.
And Keiko still has no idea what's going on, but she's getting madder at Yusuke all the time for it.

The end.

Is that enough space? I hope so. If it ain't, then tough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dudesup

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Koenma got spanked Laughing , thanks cookie. I hope i dont miss it again.
dudesup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Yea, you are the only one.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:45 pm Reply with quote
dudesup wrote:

Yea, you are the only one.

Well, I don't hate PC. Is that close enough? ;)

My biggest gripe with the series is the terrible, terrible lip-flap animation.. I'm okay with most anime lip-flaps, but PC's lip-flaps are just... too fast... -_-

(Yeah, I'm suprised. I never thought I'd care about lip-flaps... but for some reason, it just irritates me in this series...)

Well... that, and the terrible, terrible CG. I wonder if they only hired college grads or something. If they didn't have a mentor/skilled supervisor/CG Program Expert, that would probably explain why the show was as.. average as it was.

For some strange reason tho, I like the VA who does Zero's voice... must be some strange throwback to my Digimon watching days. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:25 am Reply with quote
Eric wrote:

What I like about PC is its plot. Each episode leaves you saying 'What the heck happens next?'

Not to demean your opinion here, Eric, but the end of each episode of Pilot Candidate leaves me thinking something more along the lines of simply "What the heck... -"

It may just be a bad first impression, but it seems to me that the writers for Pilot Candidate were trying very hard to make the story seem incredibly complex, when it actually appears to be rather shallow.

The mysteries of Teela being able to talk to the Ingrids, Zero's unexplained connection to Eva Reena (sp?), and the constant need to constantly switch pilots are cool, but there just doesn't seem to be very much exciting hiding behind those mysteries. Teela's connection to the goddesses doesn't seem to mean much beyond face value, Zero's abilities are taking him nowhere exciting, and the switching of pilots just makes the characters seem cheap and disposable. (IMO)

But then again, that could be just my bad first impression. The only episodes I've seen are those that have been aired on Cartoon Network, and they'ev only shown 7 or 8 episodes so far.
Confused

Care to present any counter-arguments? I would be more than happy to listen if you wish to respond.
Wink
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:48 pm Reply with quote
My beef with Pilot Candidate is that it doesn't seem to really amount to much. Everything that composes the show feels like something that's been approached and perfected already by practically every other mecha anime ever made, without either adding anything fresh to the formula or adapting the stereotypes into a different style.

I mean, kids with special powers piloting badly-done CGI mecha. Really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hagakure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Not like this would ever happen, but CN would be much better off showing Pilot Candidate in subbed format. Why? Because the series has such a poor dub, andby poor I do not mean the mouth movements. I mean that so many lines have been cut, it makes it difficult to understand the story or significance of certain scenes. Scenes that are normally supposed to be imprtant or evoke a certain meaning are imbedded with such dilluded dialouge.

In explaination of my previous point, many people in the viewing of CN are more predillected to dubs, as they are more naturally understandable. Playing outstanding openings such as Outlaw Star's Through the Night was a big step for CN. I think that goes to show that Adult Swim Action is a anime dominated showing, and that fandom has a general appreciation to it.

And I direct no bitterness towards CN because of thier choice of dubs. They are just doing what is beneficial. So, at least thats my problem with Pilot Candidate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4