• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So what did you learn from your anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damien007

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
damien007 wrote:
[b]Fate/Stay Night
Please use spoiler tags for that one!

Also for Fate/Stay Night: I learned people die when they are killed.

How is it a spoiler? Anyone who has seen the first episode would know this. Also...

Hellsing & Index: Catholics are evil
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote
damien007 wrote:
How is it a spoiler? Anyone who has seen the first episode would know this.

Where? Sabre doesn't even appear until the end of the second episode. It's not revealed who she is until after spoiler[she defeats Rider by using Excalibur].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
damien007

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:25 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
damien007 wrote:
How is it a spoiler? Anyone who has seen the first episode would know this.

Where? It's not revealed until after spoiler[Sabre defeats Rider by using Excalibur].

Oh really, I guess i just thought it was obvious. but still I didn't say that he/she was a servant, just the he was female which could be referring to anything. I'll add some spoiler tags anyway though just to be safe.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:01 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
Dragon Ball Z: The human body is more dense and durable than granite, concrete, and steel.

Funny, I learned that humans suck.

Everyone sucks, except author's favourite, who is so awesome that it makes everyone sick.

Looking cool and being heroine's potential love interest redeems you forever, no matter if you had slain the innocents or ordered to gang-rape her (Inuyasha, Hana Yori Dango)

Many fighting anime Don't bother with strategy and technique, the power points only counts.

Japan is a federation of high schools. Student's council is the supreme ruler and high court whose members have the right to arbitrary decide about people's life and death.

Black Jack scalpels throwing is a special martial art taught in med universities.

Senkoku Basara war is good as long as it's funny for soldiers.

Crest of the Stars babies are made in laboratory tanks.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:20 am Reply with quote
Dragonball: Death is not the end.
Any harem show: "Accidental" boob gropage is far more common than you'd think.
Tsubasa Chronicle: There is more than 1 type of clone.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:21 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Shuffle!: When all else fails, threaten to kill yourself.

I love you.

Genshiken: The bigger the otaku you are, the hotter your girlfriend will be.

Hardcore Kohsaka - Super hot Saki
Hardcore Tanaka - Super hot Ohna
Otaku Fledgling Sasahara - Pretty cute Ougie

Ai Yori Aoshi: Squeezing tits is another way of saying hello.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
Shiki: 1) Becoming a vampire causes the body to glow without the presence of UVA. 2) Humans, implicitly, extract a great satisfaction from murder, and, when their lives are at risk, altruism virtually disappears. 3) "Death", then revival, causes one to lose all bonds and emotions toward one's own family and friends, even when the original individual consciousness is retained.

Kobato: What is considered "exceptional" singing ability is *not* culturally universal.

Inuyasha: 1) Some parents are extremely understanding, and allow their high-school kids to make adult decisions on there own; such as traveling long distances(even to different historical eras). 2) Being half-supernatural entity and half-homo sapien predisposes one to physical prowess and demonic energy greater than that of full-blooded supernatural entities.

Heroman(and many other anime): Sometimes, the only sexually dimorphic trait, distinguishing male from female, is moniker. 2) Electricity produces self-awareness, emotions, motor skills, and an increase in size, strength and durability. 3) I really want a sequel. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Those were some of the shows I could think of off my head.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
OK, a few more:

Last Exile: 30s-era roadsters make awesome flying machines.

NGE (again): Plugsuits can cover everything and nothing at the same time.

Black Lagoon: Some chicks you can't talk to. Some chicks you shouldn't even try.

Divergence Eve: In the future, support undergarments are remarkably advanced.

Simoun: I am not the only thing that gets a charge from girls kissing.

Panty & Stocking: Some fetishes are best not performed and recorded.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Shiki: ... 3) "Death", then revival, causes one to lose all bonds and emotions toward one's own family and friends, even when the original individual consciousness is retained.

That pretty explicitly doesn't happen. The logic may have been twisted, but the undead tended to care more about the people they were closest to in life.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
You're right, but only in a few cases(i.e. Natsuno Yūki, Megumi Shimizu, Tōru Mutō and few others). The vast majority of the Shiki had no problems attacking their former family and friends. But, you did say it wasn't *explicitly* true, so I guess I'm just reiterating your point. Laughing
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
and I thought the reason shiki targeted their former family was to try and convert them to being shiki. Hell from Shiki's perspective she was doing all that in order to make a family.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I assume you mean Megumi. True, the Kirishiki Family's plan was to turn the entire village into Shiki, but that wasn't Megumi's main objective; Her's, originally, was to win over Natsuno's heart, but it later became killing him and making her former best friend's life miserable before taking it. The rest attacked merely so that they could feed, in order to survive, and that the Jinrou, Tatsumi, wouldn't destroy them. I do agree, however, that they were, in fact, creating new families.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I learned that apparently you can destroy the moon without having any catastrophic and devastating effects on the Earth and all life on it being annihilated. Also the moon orbits far closer to the Earth in anime causing it to appear up to 2 to 5 times larger than it usually is. Must have some seriously wicked tides then. Shocked
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
While we're on the subject of the moon. . .

Brighter Than The Dawning Blue: Princesses of a major kingdom can make homestays in an enemy country without attracting any attention - or needing any special security - whatsoever.

A corollary of that:

Cat Planet Cuties: Alien races can openly set up an embassy in a typical person's house without attracting any undue attention whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
From many Anime with high-school settings, I learnt that in Japan, sunset begins just after school finishes, no matter what time of year. That's why many after-school activities happen in twilight. An exception to this rule is Sports Anime, though even they are affected to some degree (like having practice just before sunset, even in Summer).

The more you know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20