• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anyone watch Outlaw Star??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce_wayne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
I use to have every episode of it on tape and then I had to thow them awy..... -sobs-
Bruce_wayne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quote
hi, anyone here??
Bruce_wayne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
I've been on every website trying to see if anyone watched it but no1 even heard of it....
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:38 am Reply with quote
Bruce_wayne wrote:
hi, anyone here??

Yes, yes. People are here, but you have to understand this is a Forum and that people aren't obligated to respond 3 minutes after you post. People will reply to your questions and comments when they get the chance (or if they even feel like it). We have other stuff to do throughout the day, you know? Wink

Anyway, I've seen Outlaw Star twice. It's an Excellent series. Very energetic cast of characters with good chemistry. That whole "Galactic Leyline" thing confused me a little at first, but I thought it made an intersting story.

Decent animation for the time it was made, fitting music, good character designs, and good dub too (in my opinion). I'd recommend it to anyone new to anime.
Bruce_wayne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
I think another good dub in any anime is Sailor moon. I mean the whole cousin thing between Amira and Micheal (srry if I misspelled the gurlz name)
Kiaelf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
Yep I've watched Outlaw Star many times, it's one of my favorites. Liked it so much I bought the whole series.

The animation was good, as was the dubbing, and the storyline was well done too. And I agree with Tony K. on recommending it as something for new anime viewers, cause it was one of the first ones I saw as a new viewer. Now if some of the other firsts I saw could have been as good as that <sigh> <cringe>
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote
It was one of the first anime series I watched (saw it when it was in its 3rd or 4th run on Toonami, I believe), and I've always found it to be quite an enjoyable series. I got it on DVD several years back and rewatch it from time to time (just did so again a few weeks ago)
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Bruce_wayne wrote:
I think another good dub in any anime is Sailor moon.

I liked the early, early dub of Sailor Moon (ie the one I used to watch in the 5th grade when it was on syndication) but I abhor the dub for Sailor Moon S, for obvious reasons (aside from the new grating, operatic voice they got for Usagi).

Bruce_wayne wrote:
I mean the whole cousin thing between Amira and Micheal

I rest my case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Yup, I loved Outlaw Star, too. Tony pretty much hit the nail on the head. I rarely watch series twice, but Outlaw Star is one of those series that I would gladly watch over and over.

Hmm, I suddenly have an urge to watch it again Very Happy .
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, OS is great, MUCH better uncut though,...but then pretty much everything is so no real surprise there. Smile
msi435

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote
As many people said (and have done) I have also watched outlaw star twice! I love how the series comes in 2 DVD's for each box, so you can get the whole series for a minimal amount of money!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
There are many things about OS that I like, but I do have to say that even though the crew of the Outlaw Star has interesting chemistry, I just cannot stand Aisha and Jim. However, there are many other characters that are so much more worthwhile that is doesn't matter. It's worth buying, and watching a couple of times if for nothing else the McDougal Brothers. Two of my favorite villans of all time.

~LoneWolf
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:47 am Reply with quote
I really liked Outlaw Star. It was one of the first things I bought on DVD along with Gunsmith Cats. I just finished watching Angel Links. It's not as good as Outlaw Star but it's OK.
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I was just thinking about watching this series again. It is an excellent series and one of my favorite anime characters is in it, Jim Hawking. Child genius, keeps Gene in line, and it was always funny when Gene teased him.

Also the show had one of the sweetest weapons, the caster. A gun that shot magical spells were pretty sweet, hopefully most people saw the origin of casters, which Toonami didn't want to air.... prudes.

The only problem I felt was that the show was not finished. Sure he defeated the McDougal brothers, but they are still alive, arent they responsible for killing his dad? I mean shouldnt they both be dead at Genes hand, I was almost certain there was going to be a second season after seeing the ending, with them both alive of course one is a program inside the ship. Other than that an awesome show, people should pick it up since Bandai released that box set of all the episodes.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Vash_the_Stamp3d3 wrote:
I was just thinking about watching this series again. It is an excellent series and one of my favorite anime characters is in it, Jim Hawking. Child genius, keeps Gene in line, and it was always funny when Gene teased him.

Yeah I loved the dynamic Gene and Jim had, Gene the freewheeling "adult" and Jim the reponsible "kid" (not to mention his rather unhealthy obsession with his antique car)
Quote:
Also the show had one of the sweetest weapons, the caster. A gun that shot magical spells were pretty sweet, hopefully most people saw the origin of casters, which Toonami didn't want to air.... prudes.

I finally rented the tape 4 years ago to see Hot Springs Planet Tenrei, and can honestly say I don't believe I ever laughed so hard at any episode. You had spoiler[the bumbling assassin trying to kill Gene, Gene searching for the temple and constantly falling into their traps, and him at some point shouting "I'm not here for the view!"] Funny stuff. It's too bad Cartoon Network doesn't have the license anymore.
Quote:
The only problem I felt was that the show was not finished. Sure he defeated the McDougal brothers, but they are still alive, arent they responsible for killing his dad? I mean shouldnt they both be dead at Genes hand, I was almost certain there was going to be a second season after seeing the ending, with them both alive of course one is a program inside the ship. Other than that an awesome show, people should pick it up since Bandai released that box set of all the episodes.

Eh, he might've acheived closure already by spoiler[repeatedly defeating Harry and taking Ron out in the end]. Angel Links just isn't a true successor to the series, and besides I've heard it isn't that good anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2