• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Responds to PETA About Super Mario 3D Land

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
I wonder how many animals are suffering while PETA worries about a fantasy video game.

Probably somewhere up there with how many real children are being victimized while politicians worry about fictional ones. It's just so much easier to go after fictional things than to actually make a difference after all.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, Nintendo; stop feeding the trolls.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
There isn't a *facepalm* big enough to describe my thoughts on this matter. Rolling Eyes
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Two things:
1. Nintendo should sue PETA for using Mario's likeness in that little game they made.
2. PETA are being hypocrites since they blatantly published that game with the whole concept based around the skinning of the creature. So, in a way, they are being much worse than they say Nintendo is being.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
There are plenty of real organizations out there for preventing cruelty to animals. PETA is a radical animal liberation group that are lead by people as psychotic as religious fundamentalists. It's sad that so many stupid celebrities and people keep funding these nutbags. They are practically a terrorist organization and have ties to violent outbursts.

That they're going after even cartoon characters now is no surprise.

And it's not as if these are actual fur suits made from animals. I always saw them as magical transformations, turning Mario into the creatures themselves. Well. There we go. PETA is just jealous that Mario gets to turn into an animal and they're stuck being humans. They hate humans. They want human society to collapse and for animals to run free.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Hoofbites wrote:
So by PETA's logic, if I wear a bunny costume on Halloween, I'm an awful, awful person.

I dressed up as a skunk when i was a kid
keyinjpop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I know I shouldn't be feeding trolls but Mario is guilty of waterboarding (Mario Sunshine), traffic violations (Mario Kart), arson (Fire Flower), physical assualt (Smash Brothers), steroid/drug abuse (Mushrooms), and while we're at it Luigi is guilty of ghost slaughter (Luigi's Mansion). There's more but I'm sure there's plenty here for at least a life sentence.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
keyinjpop wrote:
I know I shouldn't be feeding trolls but Mario is guilty of ..., traffic violations (Mario Kart), arson (Fire Flower), .... There's more but I'm sure there's plenty here for at least a life sentence.

More like attempted vehicular manslaughter. Invincibility stars, summoning lightning to smite other drivers, leaving explosives in the middle of the road, and Blue Shells.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
If a Mario sprite is featured in that "Mario Kills Tanooki" game, Nintendo should totally sue PETA for misuse of their trademarked character.

Especially with all the blood and killing PETA put in that ruin Mario's good family-friendly game feel.

Exactly! We should forward this link to the Video Game Violence trolls that like to attack things like Grand Theft Auto. That will give them a taste of their own medicine, and keep two stupid organizations at each others throats and out of the way. Smile
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh, PETA...See, this is where are organizations are making a difference. They petition against fur farms, you guys attack a video game. Yay!

faintsmile1992 wrote:

Why do you think Americans made The Cove about the Japanese maltreatment of dolphins, and not about how Americans treat battery hens? Its because most people who went to see that film just so they could feel superior to the Japanese, are not vegans and don't wan't reminding where their fried chicken comes from. It would be inconvenient to think about it, ...

Actually, there are tons of films about animal cruelty that cover such topics. You usually wont find one themed around battery hens (though they probably exist), but ones about farms and where food products come from. Food, Inc. covered the topics extensively, and that's probably more well-known than The Cove.

So, yeah, don't make these wide, sweeping accusations. There are animal cruelty films being released all the time. I'd wager that they just don't get these wide releases, and mainly stick to North American shores. Though I'm not defending the mindset of "this animal matters more than that one" or "America has no problems with animal cruelty and they do." I'm for the humane treatment of farm animals, and support bills and laws to protect them.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
keyinjpop wrote:
I know I shouldn't be feeding trolls but Mario is guilty of ..., traffic violations (Mario Kart), arson (Fire Flower), .... There's more but I'm sure there's plenty here for at least a life sentence.

More like attempted vehicular manslaughter. Invincibility stars, summoning lightning to smite other drivers, leaving explosives in the middle of the road, and Blue Shells.

Organizing and participating in an illegal fighting ring, trespassing at haunted mansions and castles on several occasions, consumption of magic mushrooms, neglect of an endangered species, and impersonating a doctor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jeff61124

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
i played the PETA Super Tanooki game and it made me want to play mario
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone at PETA ever stop to consider that maybe Mario is just showing off his inner-Furry?

Playing Super Mario 3 as a kid, I always just assumed Mario had mutated into some kind of half-man/half-raccoon creature.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Did anyone at PETA ever stop to consider that maybe Mario is just showing off his inner-Furry?

That raises an interesting question: What IS PETA's official stance on furries?
Does PETA support people like them, or think they're horrible blasphemers?
Someone ask a PETA representative for an official statement!
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty shocked Nintendo is even dignifying these clowns with a response.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5