• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Powerpuff Girls Anime Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quote
You can just imagine the backlash if it was reversed, and the anime came first. Wink PPG is my favorite American cartoon of all time, and even as an anime fan, I honestly cringe at anyone playing with the character design. Just like the Simpsons, PPG was made to be American, that's where its style lies, that's where its humor lies. I honestly think much of its appeal will be lost if turned into an anime. Tell me I'm not the only one that thinks this way. ><
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/litakino16506/Archive/1112466393969.jpg

Pictures from the pilot episode, if anyone didn't see it already.

Shocked

Looks strangely interesting.
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/litakino16506/Archive/1112466393969.jpg

Pictures from the pilot episode, if anyone didn't see it already.

I halfta admit it- I was a big PPG fan back in the day. This brings a tear to my eye- in a good way. I just wonder if Kenny Kerry (the guy that voices Spongebob Squarepants, another guilty pleasure of mine) is going to reprise his role as the narrator who goes... "THE CITY OF TOWNSVILLE!" The show DOES take place in Townsville, right? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:22 am Reply with quote
NightHedgehog wrote:
I could see this coming considering the popularity it has in Japan. I will definetly watch it. Hopefully, they'll remake the Beat Alls episode.

Had to say I loved that episode. I heard it was popular in Japan well it does look like what they are used to in the chibi children anime.

As to this Powerpuff Girls turned anime thing. When someone said the proffessor was too cute I immediately thought bishie style then I go look and see a chibie (I was hoping to see a bishified prof) A diminutive character with a lab coat. It's like things have reversed and the power puff girls are the tall ones and the proffesor is short. Also what is up with their weapons? Bubbles with a bubble catcher? Ah well. What's funny about it all is that a cartoon that many who do not know much about anime tought was anime is being made into an actually anime.

As to the unsuccessful movie. This may sound really rediculous to some of you, but even though it was one year later from September 11 and this is just a cartoon where stuff like this always happens I could not stand watching all the bulidings falling down in that movie. Other than this thought I also thought the movie was terribly boring and made no sense (in the silly way) from what I remember.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:08 am Reply with quote
...my god....what had the world comming to...need insulin stat to much cutness *does a full body shudder* this is stranger than the US show and I don't even like the US version either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:27 am Reply with quote
whoa.....They look so cute!!

I love buttercup. She definately has the personality. The mallot is the perfect weapon.

Does anyone know when this show will be broadcasted in Japan. I'm going there next month so I want to see it before I leave tokyo. What time will it be on. Will they sell the dvd?

too soon to tell, but as least someone is asking questions.

Bleedman is a great designer. I wrote some ppg fan fics. I had to stop because I had to finish an animation project.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:06 am Reply with quote
....Bubbles' hair scares me. o_o
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:17 am Reply with quote
Razorlight6 wrote:
Giant mallets are about as generic as you can get. But wait! What's that in her left hand...

I've seen it before, it turns up in some video games and anime. If I remember right it's a game where you have these round blocks stacked up and you use a hammer to quickly knock the blocks out of place without knocking over the stack. I'm guessing Buttercup uses a larger version to fire the blocks off at bad guys with her mallet.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
Now THAT looks cool. I must admit, it's pretty weird to see the Power Puff Girls with . . . well, with knees and stuff, but it was pretty much inevitable. PPG is quite popular in Japan, and a lot of people sateside think it already is Japanese.

Of course, this is going to really screw with some fanatics' heads. They already yell at PPG for "copying" anime (Even though I think PPG was made before the anime boom, right?) and when this thing lands on US television, which it most likely will, they'll be screaming. Then they find out it's made in Japan, and therefore a copy of the American show. Yikes.

By the way, am I the only one seeing some reffernces to Ojamajo Doremi (Those weird fairy things in the pilot.) and Super Doll Licca-chan? (The outfits, as well as Blossoms' yo-yo.) Or Is that just my overactive imagination?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
There were probably more than a few anime references in the original show. Hell, Mojo Jojo is the epitome of a bad dub.

Anyway, it's weird to see the PPG with gimmick weapons. I mean, don't they fly and shoot eye beams and stuff? I also can't get it out of my head how much Blossom looks like Shinobu (She's the one on the left.)

It's probably the bow.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Cheesemon wrote:
PPG is my favorite American cartoon of all time, and even as an anime fan, I honestly cringe at anyone playing with the character design. Just like the Simpsons, PPG was made to be American, that's where its style lies, that's where its humor lies. I honestly think much of its appeal will be lost if turned into an anime. Tell me I'm not the only one that thinks this way. ><

I agree, I'm worried about the show losing that American touch and sense of humor. I'm interested in how closely they're working with America on this (most of all, Craig himself), if...at all, beyond licensing issues. Although, even if the writing ends up being bland, they could spice it up during localization over here. We'll see.

I guess I'm the only one who sees Buttercup's hammer and thinks "GOLDION...HAMMAAAAAAAAAAH!"
Maceart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
This might be the first anime that might be better watched dubbed... provided they retain the original cartoon voices.

Looks very chibi. I like it!
Maceart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:24 pm Reply with quote
This might be the first anime that might be better watched dubbed... provided they retain the original cartoon voices.

Maceart

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:25 pm Reply with quote

.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
An idea so out there, when first announced I thought it was an April Fool's joke.

Still not sure if this is a GOOD idea.

Hey, I thought it was an April Fool's Joke too. I saw it and thought, you have got to be kidding me. Someone above mentioned something about Megumi Hyashibara doing something for it. My reaction to that? A talented individual such as herself need not waste time on something like this. If it's an American cartoon...why not stay that way? Plus, it already has a lot of anime influences.

Last edited by .Sy on Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7