• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime fan in US armed force's

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I am just wondering if anyone here is in one of the branch of the US armed force's. I am most likly going to join the army. I just want to know if there are any fans that are currently in the military.
Death W. Apacolypse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm an anime fan in the U.S. Navy and I have met a LOT of fans in the Military since I enlisted last year.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I, myself, am not in the military (medical disqualification . . .sucks), however, I know several folks in real life and online who are anime fans and who are or were in the military. One of the guys in our anime club was in the USMC and just finished up his time in the marines.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:26 pm Reply with quote
A friend of mine is in the US Army and he's a pretty big anime fan. I think I remembered him telling me that he's had plenty of people to talk to about anime... anyway, he's still watching as many titles as ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I've was in the Active Army for alittle over 4 years and now finish up my 8 years in the Reserves, a long 8 years. While I was in Iraq, I met and made alot of anime fans (10 people gathered around a laptop to watch Naruto. Not since Dragonball Z.), but finding a anime fan is alittle harder then find a gamer, but I found two or three in every unit I was in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I just so happen to be active duty Air Force and it seems to me like there are alot of anime fans in the AF. In the comm career fields there seems to be alot of anime fans hanging around.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:09 pm Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:
I just so happen to be active duty Air Force and it seems to me like there are alot of anime fans in the AF. In the comm career fields there seems to be alot of anime fans hanging around.

Isaac Alexander, ANN's former editor in chief, is in the Navy.

-t
Death W. Apacolypse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
radicaledward wrote:

Isaac Alexander, ANN's former editor in chief, is in the Navy.

-t

hooya Navy

Pretty much no matter what service you go into you will find Anime Fans anymore. Although i've found it hard to find people who are open minded about more then one genre of Anime so its hard to get a really good discussion going.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
No, not me personally but two of my friends from High School are. One's in the Navy, another went into the Air Force, both so the millitary will pay their way through college. I'm not interested in armed forces at all though, goes against my principals in life, not to mention I hate being ordered around, have bad vision, and have had a major life threatening disease. They wouldn't want me.
rektagunn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
...finding a anime fan is alittle harder then find a gamer, but I found two or three in every unit I was in.

I wonder if those military folks play SoCom, like in that commercial....

Anyways, I have a brother in the Navy who watches anime. Matter of fact, he's the one that got me started with the old school titles like FOTNS etc. I also have a friend in the Army Reserve who watches the newer stuff (Azudai, Furuba, etc.).
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the Air Force, and I am into anime (obviously). About half of the people in my flight are into anime in varying degrees. It really depends on where you are located in the Air Force, and I'm always running into people who are into anime.

When I was watching Spirited Away, almost every person walking past my door made a comment about how good it was.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote
I am Canadian but our Army/ Navy/ Air Force sux, so Im prolly going to go to the US to enlist the Air Force. But I absolutly love anime. I try to get all my friends interested in it (got some, lost others) but ya I dont realy have anyother people I know that are in the Army.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:58 am Reply with quote
My roommate was in the Army; a couple of his buddies that he served with were into anime and he ended up watching a bunch with them.

rektagunn wrote:
I wonder if those military folks play SoCom, like in that commercial....

Yeah, they do, depending on Internet connection and availability. My roommate and his buddies all played Halo together in Iraq, but seldom got on the internet for XBOX Live because of the lack of broadband capabilities. When they were in Afghanistan, though, they didn't really have jack to do because of the complete lack of infrastructure. I do suppose that forces stationed in Europe or Korea with decent broadband connections would probably end up playing XBOX Live on the weekends.
Kire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:54 am Reply with quote
I'm currently in the Army Reserves and have been to Iraq. Thats actually where I started watching anime and became really fond of it. When you're in the desert you will watch pretty much anything. Anway there are tons of anime fans in the Army, just gotta know where to look...
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:11 am Reply with quote
One of my Friends is in the US Coast Guard.

Okay, dumb question for all you Military Folks; does certain branches of the US Military have some decency codes? The last package I sent to my bud in the USCG, I got a postal note saying the DVD's got confiscated for violating their Indecency Standards (Azumanga Daioh and Witch Hunter Robin Indecent?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2