• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Just got Samurai X...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nakeday

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote
So i just got this Samurai X The Collection
3 Rurouni Kenshin OAVs
I've yet to see the show, and aparanlty the first two OAVs are prequels to the show and the third OAV is a sequel to it. Just one question. Would one advise to wait to see the third OAV till after viewing the series?
matticans

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
nakeday wrote:
So i just got this Samurai X The Collection
3 Rurouni Kenshin OAVs
I've yet to see the show, and aparanlty the first two OAVs are prequels to the show and the third OAV is a sequel to it. Just one question. Would one advise to wait to see the third OAV till after viewing the series?

I would wait to see the last one until you finish the series or you might get confused. All the characters in the last movie are all in the show, so if you watch the movie you won't know any of the characters in it. Well that is my opinion. Wink
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote
By finishing the series, I would watch all the way through the Legend of Kyoto Saga..... After that is when the show didn't follow the manga (Manga was not written yet), and unforunately, in my opinion it suffered greatly. Plus you will learn more about the characters, their backgrounds, etc.

I watched some of it with friends who didn't watch the show, they made me turn it off since they didn't know what was going on.
nakeday

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
thanks guys, i appreciate your advice, now i gotta get my hands on some Rurouni TV.. Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend watching Tsuioku-hen after the Kyoto arc (episodes 29-62 of the series).

Kyoto actually has some footage that would later be animated into the OAV and there are a few things in the OAV that will make sense out of Kyoto (if that means anything).

Most people who watch the Tsuioku-hen OAV first before the series (at least to the end of Kyoto) end up not liking it (the series) because of the giant gap in atmosphere, with the series having comedy and the OAVs having absolutley none.

It's a shame you had to watch Tsuioku-hen first, cause the show will probably seem too "kiddy" for you now, regardless of how good it gets during Kyoto.

I've always recommended to people that they watch at least the first 62 episodes of the TV series, then Tsuioku-hen. While I agree Tsuioku-hen is a Masterpiece in itself, I feel watching it after the series has a more profound effect on the viewer after seeing the funnier side of things (with some good drama in Kyoto) and getting so use to the characters, then suddenly jumping into a totally opposite world filled with darkness, violence, and that sort of thing. It just has a more powerful transition of emotions seeing how he is now and how he use to be, which was a real surprise to me the first time I saw it.

As for Seisouhen, I would not recommend you watch it at all until you at least read the Jinchuu arc in the manga.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
As for Seisouhen, I would not recommend you watch it at all until you at least read the Jinchuu arc in the manga.

Or...just seriously not watch it at all. I'm sure it'd make a really pretty drink coaster.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Or...just seriously not watch it at all. I'm sure it'd make a really pretty drink coaster.

Well while the story is complete and utter butchery, the music and animation are great, though that's just about all I can say I like about it.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

Well while the story is complete and utter butchery, the music and animation are great, though that's just about all I can say I like about it.

Do we have to go through another thread like this again? Jeeze...get over it. It is over and done with, as so claimed by dozens before.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Tony K. wrote:

Heh, I agree with you on that one, it's terrible. Other alternative uses can include a chew toy for you pet, or a target target to shoot at on the firing range. Laughing
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
Do we have to go through another thread like this again? Jeeze...get over it. It is over and done with, as so claimed by dozens before.

Well at least I'm not totally dismissing it like others would have. Don't know why you let this particular title get to you when people clearly say they don't like it and with actual reasons as opposed to just saying "it sucks, don't watch it." Try to tolerate a little more opinion some time, yeesh...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
^Alright, I suppose I can expand upon the reasons for my dislike of Reflection. It's like a slap in face to the series, which has a very important and reoccuring theme that people can change and be forgiven for their past mistakes, and try to atone for them. In short a message of hope.

spoiler[1)Reflection disreguards this entirely, preaching a message of hopelessness and surrendering to fate. Something I think is utter crap. 2)The characters don't seem like themselves, in the way they act. 3)Most of it is just a sorry excuse for a clip show, showing me things I've already seen before in the series rather than providing some real creativity or some new material.]
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:25 am Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
Do we have to go through another thread like this again?

Yes, because seeing that OVA was one of the biggest slaps in the face I've ever experienced as both an anime fan and a Rurouni Kenshin fan specifically. The characters were bastardised, the overall story was bastardised, the Jinchuu arc was bastardised, Tomoe Yukishiro (easily one of my top favourite Kenshin characters) and her entire purpose & existence within the story was bastardised...really, like Tony K. said, the visuals and music are all this thing has going for it. And yes, whenever it comes up in discussion I am going to continue to express my rather adamant distaste for it precisely because I was so insulted by it as a viewer and fan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:22 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Perfectsword wrote:
Do we have to go through another thread like this again?

Yes, because seeing that OVA was one of the biggest slaps in the face I've ever experienced as both an anime fan and a Rurouni Kenshin fan specifically. The characters were bastardised, the overall story was bastardised, the Jinchuu arc was bastardised, Tomoe Yukishiro (easily one of my top favourite Kenshin characters) and her entire purpose & existence within the story was bastardised...really, like Tony K. said, the visuals and music are all this thing has going for it. And yes, whenever it comes up in discussion I am going to continue to express my rather adamant distaste for it precisely because I was so insulted by it as a viewer and fan.

Then send a nasty hand-written letter to the bastards who created the OVA. Given, I think it was the wrong way to go about it. But the very end was, in my opinion, very nice.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
Then send a nasty hand-written letter to the bastards who created the OVA.

I don't know Japanese. Otherwise I just might.

Perfectsword wrote:
Given, I think it was the wrong way to go about it. But the very end was, in my opinion, very nice.

Aside from virtually urinating all over Tomoe's memory, the final closing minutes weren't that bad, I partially agree. If they wanted to do a memoir-style OVA with Kenshin on his deathbed, I wouldn't have minded at all had they not loaded it with extremely out-of-character behaviour & dialogue, utter butchery of non-animated story arcs, systematic destruction of Kenshin's whole bond to Tomoe, and horrifically pissy teen angst as an excuse for "writing."
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Perfectsword wrote:
Then send a nasty hand-written letter to the bastards who created the OVA.

I don't know Japanese. Otherwise I just might.

Perfectsword wrote:
Given, I think it was the wrong way to go about it. But the very end was, in my opinion, very nice.

Aside from virtually urinating all over Tomoe's memory, the final closing minutes weren't that bad, I partially agree. If they wanted to do a memoir-style OVA with Kenshin on his deathbed, I wouldn't have minded at all had they not loaded it with extremely out-of-character behaviour & dialogue, utter butchery of non-animated story arcs, systematic destruction of Kenshin's whole bond to Tomoe, and horrifically pissy teen angst as an excuse for "writing."

Spoilers tags?

And if they showed the spoiler[battle or troops training in "the mainland" and then what happened after the boat thing...it would have been aswom]

I still like the very end though. It got to me Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2