• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga boxes

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cell21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:05 am Reply with quote
I personally think that companies like Dark Horse,vix and Tokyopop should release the first volume of their manga and include a box to go with it to fit the rest of the collection.Like 1stdvd +Box.What do you think?
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:12 am Reply with quote
I've always thought manga boxes would be awkward. A lot of manga series are so big and I don't like collecting to fill a box. I'd rather they just do like Brocolli did and release a box at the end of the series. Even then, I want something worth the box. Two tiny keychains and a box are not worth an extra ten bucks.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Box would be nice but unlike anime which are usually 13/26 episode long, manga can be 30+ volume and still going.

I would like to see more multiple manga box (maybe hold 6-8 volume) for Vagabond and Blade of the Immortal with nice art. Good way to keep your manga bind together and nice art, the package would look amazing.

Also more manga boxset should come out at a cheaper price. Cowboy Bebop manga boxset comes to mind.

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
It depends alot upon the length of the series - 8 volumes is about the max you can get in a box and still have it look good. After that it starts to get to be a bit too big for the rest of the shelf.
matticans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Also more manga boxset should come out at a cheaper price. Cowboy Bebop manga boxset comes to mind.

I just got that on ebay this week for $16. I was happy I didn't have to get it from the bookstore for $50, ouch.

I agree that anime box sets would be cool, but since a lot of manga series are so long it wouldn't work too well. And then if they decided to release a new box ever like 8 volumes, it would just burn a hole in my pocket. I think it it would be cool though if they would do it with smaller manga series. I recently saw a Wolfs Rain one, that held both Wolfs Rain Mangas.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Another topic about boxes? I can't say why, but the idea about a box set for manga really turns me off. I don't mind for anime, but I just don't like the idea for manga. Maybe it's because it reminds me of that whole "limited edition variant cover" crap the comic industry pulled in the 90's; I can see why people would want a box for their favorite series, but I probobly won't be handing over 10 extra dollars for a cardboard box in the near future. The one exception I made is Nausicaa, when I purchased the boxset a number of years ago for a price that was cheaper than the individual trades. In a situation like that, I have no problem spending less money.
wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I love artboxes and was wondering about his very idea the other day. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I jumped on the Chobits and Fruits Basket boxes even though they were beyond not practical but I really like them (Tokyopop makes nice boxes). I would've bought the Peach Girl ones as well, if I didn't already own all the books.

I like having an artbox for all of my dvd series but I think it'd be too much, or awkward as some else said, to give manga this treatment. I agree that a box for shorter series (8- vols.) is a nice idea. I also think it'd be a good idea if companies released boxes for just their banner series like TP is doing for Fruits Basket.

A box every now and then for key titles would be nice (preferably with an extra like a figure or something) but boxes for every series would be overkill, especially for longer series that will cost an arm and a leg as it is without the added cost of multiple boxes. It would take up too much room at the bookstore, as well, having all those empty artboxes all over the place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1