• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Older series in deserve of a reboot/retelling.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
With a reboot of the Hunter x Hunter franchise this year with the new 45+ episode series giving a more accurate telling of the manga (thats what i heard anyway, i haven't read it) and recently FMA getting similar treatment with FMA:B, what other series do people think should get a do-over, either for a more accurate telling of its original story or for a re-tell and continuation of the story?

for me, i'd go with a retell+continuation of GANTZ, with so many lame shounen comedy romances coming out of late a pull-no-punches series like GANTZ would really get me excited, and a continuation from where it left off would be great too, the original series really doesn't cover much of the series, not even the complete Phase 1 and the manga gets even better from where the anime left it
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
Let's see.....pretty much any anime I had high hopes for but ended up sucking.

Tsukihime being the most obvious,

And for anime series I liked and wouldn't mind either a continuation or a remake anyways...Tsukuyomi Moonphase. Seriously, what was up with the anime? It just ended so abrubtly! I suspect there must have been some internal development problems or something. Evil or Very Mad

And Trigun(base the anime on Ultimate). Rosario To Vampire...
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote
I've always wondered what people would do differently in a Tsukihime remake. I didn't see anything particularly bad in its adaption from VN to anime.

One show that would need it is DBZ. And I mean a real remake, not remastering like in Kai. Hokuto no Ken would be cool too, but I doubt modern design philosophies could do justice to its spirit.

Other than that, Gundam F91 deserves at least a short OVA series, because the movie makes no sense at all.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
Well...Berserk is actually happening so my go to answer is out the window. A few alternate thoughts:

Vampire Hunter D. The movie is great and still holds up today but as I understand it there's so much more material. I'd love to see more of an extended, ongoing adaptation.

Blame. I might be stretching the word reboot here since the little OVA was never actually intended as a real adaptation but it would be awesome and so I'm bending the rules.

Battle Angel. Great little OVA. Why not do a full adaptation of the manga?

Akira. As much as I like the original, a new, more faithful adaptation would be cool. Maybe do it as one of these six part movie series.

Also, to be filed under 'Never gonna happen in a million years':

Xenosaga. It's a shame that a game that was basically trying to be an anime actually got turned into an anime and yet the result wasn't very good. I still love this game though. The first one especially just felt like it had such amazing potential to expand into this massive, epic story. That never really happened (in the anime or in the games) so I'd love to see them do a huge, 100+ episode saga starting with the first game and eventually expanding it into something along the lines of the huge story it was originally envisioned as.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I've always wondered what people would do differently in a Tsukihime remake. I didn't see anything particularly bad in its adaption from VN to anime.

Have you played the visual novel? Shiki's character is entirely different from the novel. Arcueid is written differently too. Some explanations are left out or glossed over. There are also problems with pacing. Besides it needs a bigger budget. I personally also don't feel that the adaptation deserves all the criticism it gets, but there's definitely a lot of room for improvement.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote
Not to mention, crappy animation and badly drawn fights.
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:52 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Have you played the visual novel?

I read the main path for comparisons sake and almost to the of one other. I was more impressed with the anime myself, since over half of the story I thought to be needless filler. Boring to boot. It is a blessing that the anime isn't a straight adaption. It would turn out even more dragged out than KnK.

jl07045 wrote:
Shiki's character is entirely different from the novel. Arcueid is written differently too.

Shiki was a stock avatar and Arcueid I blame just for the transition from one medium to another.

jl07045 wrote:

Some explanations are left out or glossed over.

That's just because VNs are constructed the way they are.

Gon*Gon wrote:
Not to mention, crappy animation and badly drawn fights.

Still eons ahead of VN.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quote
@naninanino

Who said I want a straight adaptation? I want them get right what the vn got right and improve the places where the vn was bad. Shiki for example is much more of a stock avatar in the anime - just your standard hapless whiny ordinary high school student. In the vn he is much more likable since he's more laid back and his personality is better explored. About Arcueid, it's not the fault of transition if the anime partially fails to explain why Shiki fell in love with her. If you have the willingness you might want to compare Tsukihime anime and manga which I deem a much better adaptation.
damien007

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
Well lets see here im gonna have to say berserk, berserk and definetly berserk. Easilly one of if not the best manga of all time IMO the anime series ended right before it got really good. And to make things worse it probably had the biggest cliff hangar ending of all time involving spoiler[95% of the cast getting killed off]. I would kill to see some of the later arcs get adapted.

Now i know your all gonna say that a movie adaptation is in the work. While I am serieously excited about this, it's going to cover the contect covered in the original show. And honestly I think berserk has so much content it needs a proper show or OVA in order to cover everything adaquetly. Hopefully If the movie is successfull the rest of ther series will get adapted.

Also if I’m going to be brutally honest the original anime series could have been really improved. I don’t necessarily agree with the way they toned down the supernatural aspect of the series till right at the very end. Although this did make it very dramatic a lot of people who liked the series for the politics disliked all the supernatural they brought in at the end, which was suppose the core of the entire series. Also some of the scenes from the manga will look amazing with modern graphics
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

This, definetily this. It's looong overdue for a series treatment.

A new version of Kare Kano would be nice, but only if it covered the first ten or so volumes of the manga. I didn't really care for the direction the series went after that.

I'd love to see Imagawa get an another shot at Getter Robo. The mind boggles at how much more awesome Armageddon might've been if he hadn't been sacked after the first three episodes. And let's not forget Great Mazinger and Grendizer...
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Oh, I would love to see a new full-length anime adaptation of the two BA series. Certain parts of it would be hard to animate, though, and given how particular Yukito Kishiro has become about the sanctity of his material, ever arranging something like this would probably be very tough. Still, I have to think this has been proposed many times in the past 15 years, so there's probably some barrier to it happening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oh, I would love to see a new full-length anime adaptation of the two BA series. Certain parts of it would be hard to animate, though, and given how particular Yukito Kishiro has become about the sanctity of his material, ever arranging something like this would probably be very tough. Still, I have to think this has been proposed many times in the past 15 years, so there's probably some barrier to it happening.

Yeah, I wouldn't be too surprised if the reason it hasn't happened is that Kishiro's opposed to seeing it adapted for some reason or another. Kinda like how Azuma doesn't want Yotsuba&! getting animated.

On a side note, how about getting that volume 15 review up, Key?
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Speaking of great little OVAs that need a full adaptation of the manga: Please Save My Earth. What a hackjob ending. I still love the OVA, but damn do I want more.

3x3 Eyes would also fit into this category. I've owned the entire Japanese manga for years (and I'm finally going to be able to understand the entire ending now that the scanlations are winding down after so long).

And for tv series that are simply commercials to get people to buy the manga: Basara and Skip Beat!. More, I want more (especially Basara... I can wait until the SB! manga is finished).

And how about a freaking reboot of Rose of Versailles that actually gets off the ground? Where's that movie that was mentioned a few years ago?

And, finally, for an adaptation that is completely faithful to the manga, I really REALLY want to see Chrono Crusade redone.

I imagine all of these (except maybe RoV) have a snowball's chance in hell, but a girl can dream.

Last edited by Crisha on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
Other than that, Gundam F91 deserves at least a short OVA series, because the movie makes no sense at all.

I would totally behind a full blown series for F91, but a short OVA would be no better than the film.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
rave master it been over 9 yrs since anime tv end yet left hanging til now.

give manga now full finish they could continue the anime or reboot/retell/restart it all this full complete manga to anime for pure true 100% ending.

give yet that is still why i'm not watching Hiro Mashima's fairy tail yea will not watch fairy tail til rave master is fully been continue the anime or reboot/retell/restart the anime for full true legit 100% complete version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5