• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Infinite Ryvius

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit curious aboutthis series, I saw it in the Bargin Bin section of TRSI, the first DVD w/art box for $20, and I was wondering if the series warants a buy, I've read a couple reviews but I'm not sure what I think right now, so I was wondering what some of you guys though of the series...
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the series. It seemed like a story told before over and over again of "kids are the heros over the adults" type thing, but in reality it was a very good telling of the same kind of tale that Lord of the Flies tells, but in a very different and unique way.

I can't really say much more about it without spoiling some small parts of it that I'd rather you not have spoiled (though they aren't major spoilers). It's sci-fi, definitely, and space drama and I find that the characters that are focused on are very well done. There's some good character development, and that helps drive the series. This is not episodic in the least, but very intricately woven.

If you can afford to buy the series, go for it. I think it's most certainly worth the buy.
Nionel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Alright, thanks, it seems like a good buy, and I really liked the book Lord of the Flies, I read it in High School, I think I'll give series a try and see if I like it, and in the worst case scenario I'll just sell the DVD to Gamestop, anyway thanks again...

btw, nice avatar, I've been reading Midori no Hibi and I'm hooked on it, definetly gonna get the anime when that comes out too Anime smile
Pa-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
I bought it on special as well and it comes with a mongoose plushy. Razz
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
It really is an excellent series, reminds me somewhat of the book "Lord of the Flies," only with a sci-fi outer space twist. It's really a good character driven drama, has good music too. I just finished it a month ago and own all of it myself including the artbox.
wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I thought the show was a very good (excellent) example of a character study. As was said, its character driven and most of the story and what happens relates to all the kids on board and the growth/disintegration of their relationships. There's lots of little twists and mysteries; especially about each person's motivations, and why they do what they do; which makes this show very engaging and entertaining. It was a great show and I did not get bored with it. I highly recommend it as well.

Also, these dvds have some of the best extras I have ever heard/seen. On each disc there's about 10 minutes or so of special animated shorts (hilarious, everyone's in a 'chibi-south park-esque' form) that were available online when the show was originally released in Japan. There's also some funny audio promos that the voice actors did for the dvds, where, in character, they all talk about wanting to get their hands on the latest disc of the show. Also has storyboards, IIRC; music videos, and some merchandise commercials, too. And each volume came with a pencil board Very Happy ( although I don't remember if they're limited).
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote
I'd like to mention that the story was nicely paced out. I enjoy it when series take their time to tell a story, rather than having a quick self contained tale each week. The downside is that I got a bit impatient between volumes, although not as bad as with Wolf's Rain. The pencil boards are included with all the volumes I bought fairly recently, although they might be limited. They are really heavy duty, unlike the flimsy boards found in other DVDs.
Pa-Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I've read the first manga and awaiting the release of the second but i was struck by the way the manga seems to move rather fast.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
The anime, on the other hand, feels like it is drawn out. I don't say this as a bad thing, but as a positive thing.

Maybe the IR manga is like the GS manga: manga is fast paced and can confuse the reader easilly, while the anime can be followed better.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:04 am Reply with quote
Pa-Man wrote:
I've read the first manga and awaiting the release of the second but i was struck by the way the manga seems to move rather fast.

It's shown from a different view point than that of the anime (i.e. that of Aoi and the girls on the ship) and, it's a typical Japanese "26 episodes of a series summed up in 2 manga" thing, like Wolf's Rain was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1