• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soundtracks that move the soul

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Joe Arizona wrote:
I would have to go with Noir's soundtrack. It can get me both pumped up and reflective.
I'll second that, I find "Snow" quite sothing, where I've had to stop listening to "Salva Nos" whilst driving as I became too agressive and speeding on the motorway. Still love the entire Vol.1 CD. I'm finding Vol.2 quite illusive in the UK though.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Haven't really paid much attention to Music forum until today Wink

All music scores by Joe Hisaishi for Hayao Miyazaki's movies are masterpieces. Among them, Kaerazaru Hibi (The Bygone Days) and Sepia Iro no Shashin (A Sepia-colored Picture) in Porco Rosso are the most moving ones (they were based on the same theme, BTW). I've got music sheet for Kaerazaru Hibi and I'm determined to learn it. It was written in 4/4 time, but due its massive use of triplets I'm going to rewrite it into 6/8 time, which would be much easier to comprehend.

OP and ED of Haibane Renmei. The OP is lively with its 6/8 time and strong Gaelic atmosphere. The ED was extremely touching.

The piano solo played by Saga in A Little Snow Fairy Sugar. Lovely and yasashii.

OP of Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms). An excellent blend of Chinese and Gaelic music.

Insert music of KoiKaze (the one you hear when visiting its website). Beautiful yet a bit sad, it's like a smile with tears in her eyes. Best note for such forbidden love.

OP of Hi no Tori by Czech Philharmonic Orchestra. It beautifully crafted the afterlife, reincarnation, and immortality of the essence of life the anime tried to express.

OP of Tsukihime. Gothic, dark, yet beautiful choir.

BGM of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Quiet Country Cafe (here!). They slow down your mind, make you stop your busy day and start to taste the slice of life.

Two honorable mentions: OP of Maria-sama ga Miteru was just as beautiful as I expected. After reading its Plot Summary at ANN I thought, "Hmm, its OP must have been written in F major in 3/4 time." I was proven right!! Very Happy The other totally unexpected great piece of work was the first 20 seconds of OP of Kanon. Since it's basically a harem, I was expecting something like the OP of Love Hina, fast and comedic. However, the very first note by strings (violin and cello) gave me the biggest surprise I've heard in any anime soundtrack.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Pacific Pikachu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:24 pm Reply with quote
hilarita wrote:
Pacific Pikachu, you have excellent taste.

Thank you! I'd like to think so. Anime smile;;

And we really do have similar soundtrack tastes, don't we? It's always awesome to find people who like the same music as you do.

Oh, and I must add Gravitation's music to the list. So cute and bouncy and fun to sing along to, and oftentimes quite beautiful also.
stingray2501

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote
The Soundtrack to Peacock King: Spirit Warrior Revival of Evil/Regent of Darkness by TOshiyuki Honda - the guy that did Metropolis is great.

Two tracks in particular, are the one where it flashes back to Tibet and details Kujaku's father's past - and the other is the soft piano theme used throughout the films. I don't knoe the track names, because on the CD I have they're in Japanese - it's pretty rare and not that popular.

Radical Dreamers - the closing song to Chrono Cross is just gorgeous, the guitar, bass and vocal combo is unreal.

The Original Castle of Cagilostro Album flows really well.

Also a real kick er AZEL Panzer Dragoon RPG album, it takes you to another world.
NetDiver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:40 pm Reply with quote
A Picture of Longing wrote:
End of Evangelion, if only for the sublimely beautiful recording of "Jesus, Joy of Man's Desiring." That piece alone could move even the most static soul.

Couldn't agree more with you Smile . Didn't like some of the tension music pieces, but most of the tracks on this soundtrack are just heartbreakingly beautiful. The first time I heard "Komm, süsser Tod" (Come sweet Death), I actually wept for the beauty of this song. This has happened only once. So you could say that End of Evangelion's ost really moved my soul.

Last edited by NetDiver on Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Osaka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:44 am Reply with quote
The Spatula wrote:
Jinchuu wrote:
Anyone here have any soundtracks in particular that really tend to move you?

Despite the seemingly futile effort, I will once again reccommend:

Kokoro Library OST [VICL-60619]

No one knows the true power of this soundtrack. It's sad, really...

I loved the Kokoro Library songs! The op. and end. songs were beautiful!
Alongside that I'd also recommend the Fruits Basket OST it always gets to my soul. Very Happy
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:07 am Reply with quote
Since the thread of favorite OP/ED has been revived, I'd like to add something for this thread as well. IMHO the nature of "soundtracks that move the soul" is quite different from "favorite OP/ED."

After watching six out of nine (watching the seventh) anime with music composed by Taku IWASAKI, I have to praise him as one of the best anime soundtrack composer I've ever heard, only bested by the legendary Joe Hisaishi. His music has three distictive styles:

1. Moderate-paced, jingling, carefree styled, mostly piano (acoustic or electronic), like the opening BGM in Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Quiet Country Cafe and some episodes of Witch Hunter Robin. This type of music relax your nerve from a day's stress and pressure.

2. Fast-paced, with heavy drums and full-bodied string section, shown in many battle scenes in Now and Then, Here and There and Read or Die (both OVA and TV). These loud and fast music stir up your blood and make your legs uneasy, thrilled for more action.

However, although the two types above are excellent examples of their own, they stand no chance compared with the third type:

3. The slow-paced, mellow ballade composed with mostly string sections with occasional piano solo, as demonstrated in the insert of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Quiet Country Cafe, the ED of two Rurouni Kenshin OVAs, near the end of Read or Die OVA, and most importantly, the finale of Now and Then, Here and There. Consist little or no wind instrument, those strings and piano give you sentimental, nostalgic, and extremely emotional feelings. Although they are all in major, the music is very sorrowful, as if someone who endured and persevered so much pain and torment has finally received the eternal peace s/he deserved. Even listening to those scores can bring me tears. Crying or Very sad

P.S. Seems that Taku IWASAKI is not fond of wind instruments. The only music I could notice the significant use of wind instruments is the elaborate fanfare of "Bring All the Wisdom to Britain!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Celestial Aegis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:53 pm Reply with quote
For me it would be Yokko Kanno:Voices-Macross Plus
Sora-Escalflowne
Azumanga Daioh (forgot tittle)
Yuki kajiura:Most of Noir's soundtracks
and others include Taku Iwasaki's Now and then Here And There,Patlabor Soundtracks,Spirited Away-The Name of Life.
I find Boy's Be and Chrono Trigger(RPG) music not bad too...it is soothing to the mind and soul. Wink
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:12 am Reply with quote
Most moving to me was the Haibane Renmei OST. The songs reach down real deep and move your soul. I like the orchestral songs most of all.

In addition much of Yoko Kanno's music from Cowboy Bebop. The Hellsing OP. The GTO OST. The theme song to Mononoke Hime.

Also some game music to throw out there: I liked a lot of the music from the Zelda games.

Akemi
ames_909

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:54 pm Reply with quote
For me, I would definitely say the Evangelion and Kenshin OSTs. I'm also a sucker for Symphonic OSTs, such as Gundam SEED and Inuyasha. And last but not least, if I'm in a sad/mellow/depressed mood, I also listen to the Fruits Basket OSTs.

Later,
Ames
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:11 am Reply with quote
If there's one anime soundtrack that moves the soul other than any of Yoko Kanno's works, it's Figure 17 by Toshihiko Takamizawa and his band The Alfee. The soundtrack ranges from calm, tranquil tracks like "Innocent Fields!" and "Fairy Dance (ending theme)" to headbanging rock tunes like "Boy (opening theme)" and "Battle of Fire (Figure 17 battle theme)".

"Laa, laa, lalalala-la la
Laa, laa, lalalala-la la
Laa, laa, lalalala-la la
Laa, laa, lalalala-la la
Laa, lalalalaa, lalalalaa, lalalalaa laa..."
- "Battle of Fire"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Razorlight6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:36 am Reply with quote
The Spatula wrote:
Jinchuu wrote:
Anyone here have any soundtracks in particular that really tend to move you?

Despite the seemingly futile effort, I will once again reccommend:

Kokoro Library OST [VICL-60619]

No one knows the true power of this soundtrack. It's sad, really...

Yes! I hear ya, Spatula. I just listened to the Kokoro Libarary soundtrack and it is indeed a great one. Very calming and soothing, a must for acoustic guitar lovers. The composer is Hisaaki Hogari, Akino Arai's producer/co-composer-arranger/guitarist. As such, it's no surprise that most of the tracks feature acoustic guitar and piano, just like Arai-san's songs. It's also no surprise that she sings a song in this soundtrack (track 4).

Another juicy morsel to chew on is that Hisaaki Hogari will collaborate with Yoko Kanno to compose the soundtrack to Shoji Kawamori's latest series, Sensou no Aquarion. Considering Akino Arai's numerous collaborations with Hogari and Kanno I wouldn't be surprised if she appears on the soundtrack. I have my fingers crossed.

Back to the topic... since more people are familiar with Akino Arai than Hisaaki Hogari, the best way to put this is that if you like the music behind her vocals, the style and pacing, then you'll love the Kokoro Library soundtrack. Here's a short but interesting thread over at SoundtrackCentral.com about this soundtrack and Hisaaki Hogari. Darn, I need that X Character File soundtrack!
joon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
i have some of the osts that moved my heart
I don't really like osts that are punk and hyper so here are my orders

for serenity and hearttouchingr ost

1. Shin Kimagure Orange Road OST
- composed by Yuki Kakjiura. If you guys listen to main theme which is Kyosuke No 1, u will know what i mean. I suggest you to listen it with ur girlfriend.

2. My-HIme OST
- composed by Yuki Kajiura. This ost is my fav yuki kajiura ost next to .hack//sign

3. .Hack//Sign OST
- Yuki Kakjiura song again. everyone knows how good key of the twilight is.

4. Haibane Renmei OST/Maria sama ga Miteru OST
- Composed by Kou Otani. Like someone mentioned, blue flow is very good. also op theme free bird is one of my fav theme.
- Ali Project did nice job with Maria sama ga miteru. Just go
listen to pastel pure. u will know what i mean

5. Juuni Kokki OST
- composed by famous composer Ryu Kunihiko. I like ancient chinese music so i loved it.

6. Mahou Tsukai ni Taitsetuna Koto OST
- Another good OST with serenity. OP theme Kaze no Hana is one of my fav.

For exciting OST

1. Cowboy Bebop OST
- i like jazz so i love cowboy bebop. My fav songs are The real folk blues, tanks, Ask DNA.

2. Galaxy Angel OST/Pita Ten OST
- This song is so funky and so good.

3. FLCL OST
- oh how much do i love the pillows. They are so good. my fav song is crazy sunshine.

4. Last EXILE ost
- i can't explain this ost but just listen to it. It had adverture feelings in the ost

5. Read or Die OST
- I love this OST. It is exciting, has lots of adventure. I suggest Those Who Love Books to Insanity Say, "Paper Is Always with Us". that is good song

well that was joon's opinion
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Since the thread of favorite OP/ED has been revived, I'd like to add something for this thread as well. IMHO the nature of "soundtracks that move the soul" is quite different from "favorite OP/ED."

Good distinction but perhaps a tad too much to ask for whole soundtracks? I can count on the fingers of one hand the Anime OSTs I like listening to in their entirety.

Out of those there is only one that has managed to move me (yes, I'm picky, why do you ask?) and that's the Video Girl Ai soundtrack. There is comparatively little background music and many different vocals. Masakazu Katsura (creator of the VGAi manga) also sings his own surprisingly good compositions. Some of the fare on the OST is typical anime J-pop (though good J-pop) but among the other fare the song Messeeji (Message) by Nav Katze stands out. Both the music, the beautiful voices and the lyrics fit the more bittersweet moments of the manga and anime so well. Certainly left a taste for more but good luck finding any albums of this girl duo in the West. There was recently a remix album of Nav Katze songs called Never Mind the Distortion by famous DJs but the idiots removed almost all the beautiful vocals resulting in a bland chill-out album (baka, baka, BAKA! And I do mind the distortion... *thwack*). Anyhoo, I'm digressing.

The VGAi Image Album is also very nice, featuring among others another lovely Nav Katze song (picked from one of their albums, rather than made for VGAi). There are however some drama tracks on the album. Unusually you can find transcriptions and translations of these drama tracks on the net (proving I'm not the only one who was moved), but some will still find it a tad annoying to hear acting interspersed with music.

In a category of its own is the Azumanga Daioh Live Tribute album. Cool eh? Not every day you come across live tracks of good anime songs. Oh the horrendous disappointment! What was the point? What is the freaking point of holding a live performance and then do the songs almost exactly like on the recordings? Can you believe they actually had an orchestra playing the background music? The vocals make up less than half the album! Amazingly that is a blessing in disguise as the squeeky-voiced half of the Oranges & Lemons duo sounds extraordinarily annoying when she sings live. Even the audience is a disappointment when the only enthusiasm it can muster is polite clapping at the end of every song. In short it is an album that moved me in a very bad way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4