• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote
Key, if I may, I would like to set Dorcas_Aurelia straight on a few things. He is attacking my character and outright ignored my previous assurances.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Except that he thanked the posters for their persuasive arguments, and just recently said he wasn't being sarcastic. Thanking someone for convincing you to do the opposite of what they were trying to convince you of is sarcasm.

What initially prompted me to comment on dtm's vote was confusion at least as much as irritation. I would much prefer to just hear his reasoning than turn this into a tangential argument, since what dtm considers obvious is not obvious to me.

What part of, "I wasn't being sarcastic . . . I am not bullshitting you" was so hard to understand?

It was people like Aylinn who genuinely inspired me to vote, if only so I could vote against their pick of Humans vs Shiki. Every single one of those votes I linked to made it obvious to me that Humans versus Shiki was not a good rivalry.

Now, I hated the actual series of Shiki. I hated it hated it hated it. Gave it a rating of Bad; read what I wrote in MyANN to understand why. But coming into the tournament I actually thought there was a fairly good rivalry in there. But when I read those posts I was reminded of what I had always known; that the entire series is pointless and that the so-called rivalry was just a bunch of monsters preying on innocent humans including spoiler[little children who weren't even from the village but kidnapped from the city so they could be used as food for weakened Shiki to regain their strength. The arguments that both sides were victims and that the humans were as much to blame as the monsters feeding off of them offended me as a human being. And I'm unashamedly a Light Yagami supporter for crying out loud; I cannot imagine how anyone can think that the Shiki who fed were to be sympathised with.]

Ahem, anyway. My dislike of Rumiko Takahashi and InuYasha was a big stumbling block in actually motivating me to vote, and even if I had, it would probably have been for the Shiki rivalry. But when I saw certain people's arguments, I remembered that Shiki was just twenty-two awful episodes without much of a rivalry to speak of. spoiler[I do not consider the Shiki murdering innocent and clueless people for food without even offering them a chance to fight back to be much of a rivalry in the traditional sense of the word. Two rivals have to fight or otherwise be in open and recognised conflict; if one slaughters the other like cattle then that is no rivalry. (For example, humans do not have a rivalry with pigs.) Then, when the humans finally began the fight-back against the evil that had been plaguing them it was slaughter again, with almost no actual fighting except between the two god-awfully terrible Jin-Roh.]

Because of the people whose posts I linked to, I was truly inspired to overcome my dislike of InuYasha and vote against what I suddenly remembered was a very poor matchup. I thanked them from the bottom of my heart as they got me off my lazy arse and I actually voted for the first time since the second week. And lo and behold, if I hadn't voted there would have been a tie, so I'm even more grateful now than I was before.

So my post may have seemed like sarcasm to you, but I was being entirely serious and sincere. Effusive praise it may have been, but it wasn't sarcasm. Please do not make me have to repeat myself again . . . . . .

----------

Right, now that that has been taken care of let's back to normal transmission, shall we?

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:48 am Reply with quote
Group B-25
Digidestined vs. Myotismon, Digimon Adventures
vs.
Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha, Naruto franchise

I found Naruto boring and most of the characters uninteresting. This show didn't make me care for obnoxious Naruto and angsty Sasuke, ergo they are uninteresting and I couldn't care less about them and their boring rivalry. And a boring rivalry does not make a good rivalry.
so by default Digidestined vs. Myotismon

Group B-26
Goku vs. Vegeta, Dragon Ball Z
vs.
Nabuca vs. Shu, Now and Then, Here and There

Nabuca vs. Shu I prefer ideological rivalry to a power vs. power rivalry.

Group B-27
Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi, Code Geass
vs.
Capulets vs. Lord Montague, Romeo x Juliet

Capulets vs. Lord Montague
Even though I didn't enjoy Romeo x Juliet as much as Code Geass, I have to agree that the conflict between Capulets vs. Lord Montague is more intrinsic to the story and deserves more to advance to the next round.

Group B-28
Love Machine vs. Kenji Koiso and the Jinnouchis, Summer Wars
vs.
Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam

I'm not familiar with either, but Summer Wars's clip is more interesting and it seems to be the type of show I would be more interested, so my vote goes to Love Machine vs. Kenji Koiso and the Jinnouchis
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quite a boring round for me to vote, except for one match up, none of the rivalries are very exciting to me. so...

Group B-25
vs.

Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha

Mainly based on the fact that it is quite well established, and I found the clip interesting enough to want to see how far it would go.

Group B-26
vs.

Nabuca vs. Shu - I was never into Dragon Ball Z, and Now and then, Here and there is one of my favourites. And the confrontations between Shu and Nabuca are quite thought provoking- Shu's blind optimism and idealism only work as he never had to face what Nabuca did, but he still manages to bring a light of hope to Nabuca's life, and all in all, despite the rivalry, or maybe thanks to it both manage to learn something new.

Group B-27
vs.

Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi- I quite enjoyed how the rivalry was changing throughout the series, from friends to foes and to friends again, and while both characters were irritating to the power at times, as a rivalry, I did found it quite enjoyable to follow.

Group B-28
vs.

Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable- Coin toss, plus the clip convinced me to vote for this pairing.
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
Group B-25
vs.
Naruto vs. Sasuke. Love them or hate them, they have an intense rivalry.

Group B-26
vs.
Goku vs. Vegeta. I haven't seen NTHT, but Key gave good reasons in favor of the DBZ rivalry so Im going with that.

Group B-27
vs.
Capulets vs. Lord Montague. Futuristic take on an old story. This rivalry is the definition of bad blood, but in this version it's not just a petty squabble between noble families; It's a struggle for the throne and to free the people from an oppressive rule.

Group B-28
vs.
Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Gundam[/quote]
Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable gets my vote, mostly out of sheer spite Razz. But besides sour grapes, I actually do think they are worthy of moving on because of their classic status and the clip.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Group B-25
vs.

Mm... I don't really like shounen but I shouldn't let my hate affect my votes. Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha

Group B-26
vs.

I have not seen NTHT, but I think I feel more comfortable voting for it than a power vs. power rivalry/adversary. So my vote goes to Nabuca vs. Shu.

Group B-27
vs.

Capulets vs. Lord Montague, I don't recall how Lelouch vs. Suzaku reached this far in this tournament but Capulets vs. Lord Montague, even without watching the show, is far more intense than the Code Geass rivalry with just knowledge of the original play.
I mean, there is a feud, vendettas, and other stuff, so I can't really vote against it.

Group B-28
vs.

Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable, coin toss to get rid of my Gundam fanboy voting, and it end up with me voting for the Gundam rivalry.
mow123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:33 am Reply with quote
Danny, please play nice. That goes for Dorcas, too, but ..... Smile I'll just leave it at that.

Group B-25
vs.

I won't late my hate keep me from appreciating the great rilvary of Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha. Sure it's not nuanced, but there's intensity, raw pathos, a far amount of depth, and a heap ton of focus.

Group B-26
vs.

Having seen both shows I rather go with a so called iconic power vs. power rivalry/adversary than a rivalry that starts off as a misunderstanding of perspectives and doesn't really end up being a legitmate rivalry in the long run. There's so much more bad blood and feeling of rivlary for this DBZ pick. So, not surprisingly, my vote goes to Goku vs. Vegeta.

Group B-27
vs.

Lelouch vs Suzaku,Going to go out on the limb and vote for nationalistic, friends turned foes adversaries even though it means voting against the ones inspires by the great Shakespeare himself. There's simply too much dripping adrenlaine, pathos, and intensity that even a family blood feud can match. I also sense the clashing idealogies much strong with the CG rivalry, and that makes it all the more good in my book.

Group B-28
vs.

Love Machine vs. Kenji Koiso and the Jinnouchis The Summer Wars rivalry lacks panache and depth, but it does have a charm that a family can take down a cyber troll/villain is far more endearing and original that the typical stilited Gundam rivalry. It's simply something you rarely see in anime, a large family firing on all cylinders to take out a formidable foe.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
Unofficial scores at the moment out of 10 votes:

Match B-25: Naruto/ Sasuke lead 9-1.

Match B-26: Goku/ Vegeta lead 6-4.

Match B-27: Lelouch/ Suzaku lead 6-4.

Match B-28: Char/ Amuro lead 8-2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
Yes, and looking at those scores so far and what arguments have been made in A-27, I have to really wonder how many people who are voting have actually seen the anime version of RxJ and how many people are making assumptions based on what they remember of the original play rather than this version. The nature of the Capulet/Montague feud in the anime RxJ is not the same as in the original play. Lord Montague's push to kill off all of the Capulets - especially Juliet, whom he obsesses over - is so intense that he even has underlings assassinated (or does it himself) when they don't toe the line. The Capulet supporters seek to regain their former position of leadership, take down a tyrant, and achieve vengeance. In the midst of that Romeo and Juliet try to late the foundation for a new and better world. It makes for a great story, one stronger, deeper, and better than CG's, even with the Lelouch/Suzaku ideological conflict figured in. I have seen both franchises in their entirety and there's no question in my mind which one is the better and richer story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
It's certainly about time we had some more debate here, don't you think? If nothing else, I suppose I'm crazy enough to participate.

Key wrote:
The nature of the Capulet/Montague feud in the anime RxJ is not the same as in the original play. Lord Montague's push to kill off all of the Capulets - especially Juliet, whom he obsesses over - is so intense that he even has underlings assassinated (or does it himself) when they don't toe the line.The Capulet supporters seek to regain their former position of leadership, take down a tyrant, and achieve vengeance. In the midst of that Romeo and Juliet try to late the foundation for a new and better world. It makes for a great story, one stronger, deeper, and better than CG's, even with the Lelouch/Suzaku ideological conflict figured in. I have seen both franchises in their entirety and there's no question in my mind which one is the better and richer story.

Your point is absolutely valid as far as the noting the differences between Romeo x Juliet and the original play, but I believe that same distinction actually cuts both ways. Particularly since, among other things, we are evaluating rivalries and not exactly the real or perceived quality of either story (which, to say the least, also remains partly a matter of taste and personal preference).

While there are some added bits of character background and interesting tragic implications to this new narrative, such as those you've already referenced, I think the overall rivalry does come off as a bit too neat and slanted in Romeo x Juliet precisely because of Lord Montague's new portrayal.

Yes, the conflict is still the ultimate result of a vendetta between two families, where the love between Romeo and Juliet does subvert that history of violence and presents the creation of a better world as a possibility that goes beyond it, but during the series itself it's pretty clear than in order for "good" to win we need to see Lord Montague lose, one way or another, as there isn't much room for real discussion or debate concerning his role as a villain. Even when we learn a bit of his personal history, that still doesn't make him come off as a sympathetic or truly interesting figure. At the end of the day, the rivalry is based on a battle between good and evil. Not in terms of the entire families, mind you, but then again we are only dealing with Capulets vs. Lord Montague here, not Capulets vs. Montagues.

I'm not saying that's necessarily bad, it works as a valid creative choice and the resulting storytelling quality may be arguably higher in purely technical terms, but in the context of this kind of tournament, at least I prefer the alternative as a rivalry.

Whether or not you like Lelouch or Suzaku as individuals, they both have a fairly layered set of reasons to do what they do, personally and ideologically speaking, and can't really be classified as entirely "good" or "bad" in the traditional sense of the term. Sure, they both engage in a number of genuinely good and bad actions at different points in time, which can be either criticized or explained, depending on where you want to draw the line. But even when their behavior can be considered misguided or outright irritating, I think that's still the result of a more interesting conflict, regardless of certain execution flaws, than a more straightforward quest to topple a tyrant.

Neither of them is entirely wrong nor entirely right. Most of the audience sided with Lelouch, admittedly, but the fact is there are quite a few viewers (such as fellow poster marie-antoinette) who were either on Suzaku's side or at least understood where his character was coming from. If not during the entire story, then certainly for most of it. Whatever else we may want to discuss though, the rivalry was at least complex enough to permit a variety of opinions. Code Geass may be called messy, but I believe it's messy in an entertaining and interesting way that does allow for more ambiguity and discussion about its core rivalry than what you would find in Romeo x Juliet's equivalent.

In fact, even Lelouch's own quest for vengeance, which is mostly directed at Emperor Charles and the Britannian royal family rather than Suzaku, turns out to be comparatively simple and not very intriguing (its final resolution may actually be considered disappointing, but then again spoiler[that's not the ending either ]). It gives him one of his motivations to face off against Suzaku, but it's really not the constant conflict that actually drives most of the episodes. If we were only comparing something like that to Capulets vs. Lord Montague, I'd certainly acknowledge and share your point of view.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Group B-25
vs.
Voting for: Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha
One of the top contenders, IMO. A well established rivalry starting almost at the beginning of the series. It is soon clear that the rivalry isn't one sided - seemingly cool Sasuke already shows it when competing against Naruto in the tree-walk-training (around episode 10-11). Jealousy and different viewpoints make these once awkward friends drift away from each other. I haven't read the manga, but this rivalry seems a bit more one sided as the show continues under the name Shippuuden. Sasuke seemed to be seeking power to spoiler[defeat Itachi, instead of Naruto. Later on, learning the truth of Itachi, he does want to challenge Naruto's village, ] but at that moment he doesn't seem to acknowledge Naruto as a worthy rival. Could be just his pokerface though. This is only a minor complaint, because soon spoiler[they'll probably face each other in a fight, with emotional talks and stuff Very Happy.]

Group B-26
vs.
Voting for: Goku vs. Vegeta
I'll go with the most famous rivalry, the arguments made in favor of NTHT didn't convince me. What I like most in this rivalry is Vegeta's struggle to win.

Group B-27
vs.
Voting for: Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi
Tough, I like both rivalries! I have seen R&J once and wanted to vote for them (placed them above Code Geass in minigame too). Then I started thinking. And typing. Then I saw Nightjuan's post. While the Capulets vs. Lord Montague rivalry is more intrinsic to the story, Lelouch vs. Suzaku is very important too. Both contenders deal with changing the world to be a better place. Moreover, the Caps vs. Montague rivalry is more black and white. Lelouch vs Suzaku is equally fierce and more complicated, dealing with clashing ideologies. While a lot of people hate Suzaku, I had sympathy for him most of the time and could see where he's coming from.
(ok, this was what I typed before I saw the last post, which is better written and explained Wink)

Group B-28
vs.
Voting for: Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable
Yup, coin toss and influenced by other people voting and cheering on this rivalry.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Group B-25
vs.

Voting for: Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha

While I am not particularly interested in watching Naruto, for the time being this seems like the better choice here. Not only does it have a decent amount of supporting arguments during the current round, I can also appreciate the gist of the concept behind the conflict, even if it may not be enough to earn my lasting sympathies after this match.

Group B-26
vs.

Voting for: Nabuca vs. Shu

Now here's a surprisingly difficult match this time around...because there seem to be at least a couple of respectable arguments in both directions.

Dragon Ball Z's rivalry has the most simplistic motivation behind it, to be sure, but does that make it worse? I'm not entirely sure right now. For the purposes of a long shounen fighting series, it actually does enough to be considered as something of a classic...yet somehow I don't feel that's all I want from a rivalry.

As far as classics go, I would probably consider it as one of the lesser examples. Whenever the show focuses on it, the results are often worth the wait. But at the end of the day, Dragon Ball Z either ignores or at least delays its resolution for too much of its running length. For long periods of time, Goku and Vegeta have a technically competitive yet strangely passive rivalry. If the series had been more about Goku vs. Vegeta and less about defeating increasingly more ridiculously powerful bad guys, I imagine my feelings towards this rivalry would be kinder.

That means we're left with Nabuca vs. Shu. It may be less memorable, all in all, but certainly not because of content or concept. In both of those areas it does provide enough interesting elements to justify a rewatch or two.

Group B-27
vs.

Voting for: Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi

I do not consider Capulets vs. Lord Montague as inherently or universally inferior, but it's actually a matter of what elements interest me the most as far as rivalries in works of fiction are concerned. Please see my previous post for further details concerning the reasoning behind this vote.

Group B-28
vs.

Voting for: Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable

Not a surprising choice, all things considered. I don't think Amuro vs. Char is necessarily the single best rivalry in the entire Mobile Suit Gundam universe, to be quite honest, but it is still absolutely important in terms of creating or developing two significant archetypes...which other shows have often followed and occasionally subverted in interesting ways.

In any event, the lasting influence of this conflict both inside and outside of its own fictional storyline cannot be denied and, in terms of actual content, the results still hold up, by and large, despite a few odd circumstances surrounding the rivalry as portrayed in Char's Counterattack. The original series and/or its film adaptation do give it a lot of attention and the final movie certainly focuses on its resolution, mostly effectively.

In addition, I must acknowledge that there has been a persistent set of arguments criticizing Love Machine, in particular, in spite of how the Summer Wars rivalry has usually been able to move forward against comparatively weaker opposition.
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Group B-25
vs.

As much as I despise Naurto, Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha is clearly the better rivalry. From friends to enemies, this pair seems destined to face off against each other till the bitter end.

Group B-26
vs.

If there's one series I dislike more than Naruto it's DBZ, but again Goku vs. Vegeta is clearly the better rivalry. Every time they face off their battles are epic in scale, destroying small portions of the planet. It's hard to even see Nabuca vs. Shu as much of a rivalry at all. More of a moral dispute.

Group B-27
vs.

Romeo x Juliet may have a rivalry that's more intrinsic to the overall story, but I prefer watching Lelouch and Suzaku duke it out, both physically and mentally.

Group B-28
vs.

Love Machine vs. Kenji Koiso and the Jinnouchis is just too weak to move on. However Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable isn't all that impressive either, but I have to vote for them. Their rivalry is well established and universally recognized in Anime. Perhaps it will grow on me the more I watch...
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
B-25
Digidestined vs. Myotismon, Digimon Adventures vs.
Choosing: Naruto vs Sasuke
Because You've got contempt and disgust from Sasuke, and anger and betrayal from Naruto. The Digidestined vs Myotismon conflict is exemplary for a children's show, but it doesn't carry quite the ferocity as the other.

B-26
Goku vs. Vegeta, Dragon Ball Z vs.
Nabuca vs. Shu, Now and Then, Here and There vs.
Choosing: Goku vs Vegeta
Because While I'm generally more for ideological enemies, Nabuca's belief seem derived more from it being the only thing he was ever told, and as such, he is at something of a loss when challenged on them.

B-27
Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi, Code Geass vs.
Choosing: Capulets vs Lord Montague
Because While the Code Geass rivalry has many more shades of gray to give it greater complexity, Suzaku feels like too much of a stooge, despite his conviction, to support against another revolution against tyranny.

B-28
Choosing: Amuro vs Char
Because By coincidence I just saw the first 4 episodes of Gundam this weekend, and while Amuro does begin as an obnoxious brat, he quickly starts growing into a more mature individual; one that can take on such a legendary foe as Char. Love Machine vs the Jinnouchis has hit its ceiling here.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Group B-25
vs.

The Naruto franchise is not my favorite series but the intense rivalry between two of its main characters are one of its highlights. The story of an outcast working hard to be the best whereas his rival's skills are inherited will inevitably lead to a showdown.

My vote goes to: Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha.

Group B-26
vs.

A rivalry for the ages where a proud prince must challenge a orange-clothed commoner to determine which is the stronger one. The fiery tempered one can not stand it when the rival stands him up in terms of strength and progression, he vows to train even more so he can surpass his rival.

My vote goes to: Goku vs. Vegeta.

Group B-27
vs.

If you can not beat them, join them.

If you can not beat them, form your own private paramilitary whilst instilling a sense of nationality and pride under a guise and beat them that way.

Nevertheless, does the end justify the means? Lelouch and Suzaku are on opposing sides with opposing beliefs. To change the world and themselves, these two chose to fight the power. When they meet on the battlefield, who will be in the right?

My vote goes to: Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi.

Group B-28
vs.

Similar to the Naruto rivalry, both seemed are destined to be rivals. Amuro (Naruto) is a green pilot who is not able to hit the broad side of a Zeon battleship while Char (Sasuke) has already shot down five Federation battleships in a past battle forever sealing his reputation as the "Red Comet."

But with hard work and battle experience, Amuro grows to be an ace pilot capable of similar if not better feats of Char's level.

My vote goes to: Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable.
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Group B-25
vs.

One of the few highlights of the Naruto franchise, this rivalry is not from a series that I like but the intense rivalry between two of its main characters was not its highlight but fun to watch unfold.

Naruto Uzumaki vs. Sasuke Uchiha.

Group B-26
vs.

Sometimes simplicity has an elegance especially when facing rivals that really aren't rivals at all for the majority of the series. I rather vote the sure thing even if it doesn't stray far from standard rivalry archetypes than vote for a rivalry that's ill defined at best.

Goku vs. Vegeta.

Group B-27
vs.

The classic nationalist tinged rivalry that pits two friends against each in the battle of oppressive lawfulness versus good intentioned, but autocratic treason. Sure, Suzaku is a bit stiff, but his stiffness defines his stance as a supported of the status quo in order to perserve order. A degree of stifness and stoogery is almost expected from a statist like him.

Lelouch Lamperouge vs. Suzaku Kurugi.

Group B-28
vs.

Destined to be rivals and stangely similar to the the Naruto rivalry, I'll give this Gundam classic the nod, but it hardly looks like they need it. Familliar with the latter and that does no favors since the rivalry only has limited intensity squeezed in at the end of the movie.

Amuro Ray vs. Char Aznable
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 38