• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gangster Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maccers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Im wondering, Is there any anime which involve Gangsters???. Wether they been Italian-American Mafia Gangsters or African-American Los Angleles Gangsters.

Im interested because im wondering how japanese percive theese kind of lifestyles.

Thanks
Arkard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I really dont know about that.
The Japanese dont really have a tendency to portrait "american gangsters" in general as they already have their own "mafia", much cooler than the american one. You know, the Yakuza. But strangely there is not really anough shows out there that would deal with this kind of an idea.
We had a sample of it in Cowboy Bebop with the Red Dragon Syndicate but that really wasnt much. And seeing as there just arent alot yakuza anime series, I cant really imagine there being more "american gangster" or "european mafia" type shows. Maybe in some manga but anime? Just cant think of anything.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, there isn't any African-American gang I can remember in any anime, but Noir dealt with some history of Sicilian Mafia. However, in which the Mafia spoiler[was established and controlled by a Illuminati-like secret organization named "Soldat" (French for "soldier")].

Many police, secret agent, or bounty hunter-themed anime titles feature famous gangster groups around the world, such as Japanese Yakuza and Chinese Triad, but none of them plays a major role.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
dormcat beat me to it
Arkard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
oh right... Noir.. forgot about that one
JustinSane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
In Gungrave something like episodes 2 or 3-17 have the mafia in it. It's a really great series all together so you should really check it out.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
It might do you better to look for anime involving the Yakuza instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
matticans

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Gungrave is deffinately a good one as well as Noir. Another series that came to mind is The Gokusen.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote
GunGrave sure is a must see for Yakuza fans and also Samurai Champloo has lots of Gangsters in it.
Episodes 49-62 of Hunter X Hunter have lots of Gangsters in it. It's about a group of killers called "The Spiders" who declared war on the Mafia of York Shin City(fictional city). Over 1000 mafia members get killed in single night. So I recommend HxH 49-62 Smile
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
A couple of episodes of Chrono Crusade deals with the Mafia trying to handle Demons.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:19 pm Reply with quote
MasterFuu wrote:
GunGrave sure is a must see for Yakuza fans

Shame they had to go and foul it up in its second half with spoiler[all that Necro-rise/monster mutation garbage and the complete and total dismantling of all the character development that ever took place during the Mafia portions.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quote
For you to see gangs in Japanese animation, you first have to have African-Americans in it as main characters Rolling Eyes . Good luck with THAT search. And no, I don't count Nadia.

I figure a GTA-type deal can be produced. Hire Snoop Dogg, Keith David, Michael Jai White, Laurence Fishburne, Carl Lumbly, Tone Loc as VA's, and we got something here.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:17 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
For you to see gangs in Japanese animation, you first have to have African-Americans in it as main characters Rolling Eyes . Good luck with THAT search. And no, I don't count Nadia.

Well, there are Japanese motorcycle gangs along the lines of those in AKIRA and GTO. I can't really name any other titles off the top of my head that have them (much less feature them prominently), but there are gangs in anime. They're just of the more "local" variety, so to speak.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
MasterFuu wrote:
GunGrave sure is a must see for Yakuza fans

Shame they had to go and foul it up in its second half with spoiler[all that Necro-rise/monster mutation garbage and the complete and total dismantling of all the character development that ever took place during the Mafia portions.]

Couldn't agree more then that. They totaly messed up the second half. The first half is truly fantastic and epic experience. The story and characters mixed with perfect Mafia mood in it. Then in later episodes it went downhill. You are 100% right! Evil or Very Mad
When I remember anime GunGrave, I think of Brendon/Harry/Maria episodes which rocked. Cool
The Frankman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:56 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Well, there are Japanese motorcycle gangs along the lines of those in AKIRA and GTO. I can't really name any other titles off the top of my head that have them (much less feature them prominently), but there are gangs in anime. They're just of the more "local" variety, so to speak.

Yeah but of answer Maccers question I really don't think there is any real perception of the Black culture reperesented in Japanese anime. That's why I made the point of "first you have to have a black lead character". Even there are cases where many people in Japan didn't accept certain characters if their facial features were too non-Japanese (such as the controversy regarding both Revolutionary Girl Utena and Nadia Secret of the Blue Water). Seriously now I know I'm going off-topic, but baby steps should've been taken diversifying Japanese anime by now. And I ain't buying the "There aren't many black people in Japan" argument. That's a copout.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2