• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Box set help

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazuright

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:29 am Reply with quote
Well, I’m looking for box sets to buy and I see three that peek my interest. There’s the .hack/SIGN, Witch hunter Robin, and S-Cry-ED box sets. These are not like a normal box. They have these unusaul outer covers. Example, Witch hunter Robin’s is a book kinda thing then the box set is inside. It comes with anime pins and every disc. The same goes for .hack/SIGN, cover, pins, etc. S-Cry-Ed instead of pins has a dog tag. All three are $149.99
Here’s the thing. Are they worth buying?
Or should I just buy the first vol. With box then get the other vol.’s?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:46 am Reply with quote
That'd honestly depend. The complete boxsets are limited edition, and Bandai discontinued production of them at the end of last year. If you can find a second-hand kinda place, you can usually find volumes for a fairly decent price, but thats not always how it goes.

The boxsets are probably your safest bet.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:24 am Reply with quote
Well, for .hack//SIGN, you can either buy the Limited Edition boxset that was released back in October or do what I did and pay near $300 to buy each individual Limited Edition volume that are now becoming more and more difficult to find.

Same goes for WHR. I didn't pay nearly as much though since the only Limited Edition thing there is outside the box set is the LE Vol.1, which I got on eBay for about $60.

I'm not sure if Deep Discount DVD has any left, but here are the links for them (haven't seen S-Cry-ED, so I can't recommend it):

.hack//SIGN Complete Collection -- $89.99
Witch Hunter Robin Complete Collection -- $89.99
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
Actually Steven, the ones they stopped producing were just Banner of the Stars ,Ronin Warriors, Betterman, Love Hina, Geneshaft, Tsukikage Ran: Carried by the Wind and the Fancy Lala Complete/Perfect Collections which they only were releasing for the holidays.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Same goes for WHR. I didn't pay nearly as much though since the only Limited Edition thing there is outside the box set is the LE Vol.1, which I got on eBay for about $60.

Jesus, I hate these Limited Edition crap so much I could murder the people who came up with it!!

I swear if.... (Ok, deep breathes. Remember what the doctors said. Count down from ten slowly. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Ahhhhh that’s better.)

Well anywaste, I want to buy Witch Hunter Robin and initially I was going to wait and get it sometime in the future but now with this Limited Edition business it looks like I will have to get it now (bastards!).

Both the boxset and the LE box + Vol. 1 look sweet. So which one is better or which one would you get if the price were of no concern.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote
s-CRY-ed is the best of all three series, it has an x-men like story and a hell of a good amout of action.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Actually Steven, the ones they stopped producing were just Banner of the Stars ,Ronin Warriors, Betterman, Love Hina, Geneshaft, Tsukikage Ran: Carried by the Wind and the Fancy Lala Complete/Perfect Collections which they only were releasing for the holidays.

Well actually, I didn't even know if the .hack//SIGN and WHR boxes were Limited Edition until I read:

The Right Stuf's description for the WHR box set wrote:
Contains the full Witch Hunter Robin TV series in one gorgeous DVD collection also including limited edition casing!

I didn't see a statement like that one for //SIGN, but looking at the "Product Availability," it looks like they're out of stock for now.

kamiboy wrote:
Well anywaste, I want to buy Witch Hunter Robin and initially I was going to wait and get it sometime in the future but now with this Limited Edition business it looks like I will have to get it now (bastards!).

Both the boxset and the LE box + Vol. 1 look sweet. So which one is better or which one would you get if the price were of no concern?

Personally, I like the LE Vol.1 more. I've seen the box set on store shelves and it looks super flimsy. It's supposed to be in a book-like casing, and I thought it would've been awesome had it been like the R.O.D. the TV case, but when I saw it and actually picked it up, it just felt like a waste to have.

Now, I've only seen it once so I don't really remember what the inside was like, but I can tell you that the outer cover was just a soft piece of cardboard; about the quality of those space fillers that usually are in other LE boxes, but not hard like the Geneon ones, I mean the really thin ones that just bend from gravity if you hold it from the edge of the paper. Here's a pic:

Looks nice, I know, but it's really not that straight when you look at it up close. I'm at school right now, but I'll try to take some pictures of my LE box at home and post them.

And doing some math, if you were to buy volumes 2-6 at Deep Discount DVD for $17.99 a piece with free shipping, the total would be $89.95. That's about the price of the box set, but if you buy the LE Vol.1 you not only get the box and DVD, but also the first OST, a nifty T-shirt, and a shot glass (which I have no use for Razz).

But of course, you live in Denmark, so most of the pricing calculations probably mean squat Anime catgrin + sweatdrop.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:

Both the boxset and the LE box + Vol. 1 look sweet. So which one is better or which one would you get if the price were of no concern?

I have the boxset and it's really nothing special. I mean, the outer "book" casing looks kinds cool, but it is flimsy, doesn't sit well on a shelf, and.. well... it doesn't do a very good job of holding the actual DVD pack inside of it. When I first unwrapped it the box dropped right out of the bottom of the case, and DVDs went crashing everywhere.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a lot Kazuki-san & Tony K. that about clears it up for me. I'm gonna start a new thread just for discussing current LE releases that are in danger of extinction.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Advent Nebula. sCRYed is by far the best out of those 3 mentioned. All of the action is backed up by a solid story that really pulls you in, especially if you like the theme of rivalry. Its very character driven and despite the way it comes off initially it doesn't turn into a "villian of the day/week" show.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...tough choice indeed. I personally liked all three shows, but I'd have to say S-CRY-ed as well. I've got the Volume 1/artboxes for both it and Witch Hunter Robin. I think they look a lot better than those limited edition collections, they just don't look like they'd fit as nicely on my shelves.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
s-CRY-ed is the best of all three series, it has an x-men like story and a hell of a good amout of action.

Actually Witch Hunter is the best out of the 3 if you're looking for something with more depth. Scryed was really well done too and is more suitable to the action fanboys. Both title would be in my top 15 anime of all time.

DBZ --> Naruto --> Scryed
Rahxephon --> Wolf's Rain --> Witch Hunter Robin

I think WHR LE DVD1 +Box is 25 at Right stuff. Comes with Shotglass, 2 mini cell, a TV, and a soundtrack. Bandai knows how to add extra to thire LE (thus increasing the MSRP)

Last edited by darkhunter on Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:29 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Well, for .hack//SIGN, you can either buy the Limited Edition boxset that was released back in October or do what I did and pay near $300 to buy each individual Limited Edition volume that are now becoming more and more difficult to find.

I actually managed to pick up 2 of the First Limited Edition Box (The Octagon Box) for $20 each (after the 50% off sale) at Gamestop recently.

Save one, ransack the other (well, the box was damaged anyway, so no loss).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
I actually managed to pick up 2 of the First Limited Edition Box (The Octagon Box) for $20 each (after the 50% off sale) at Gamestop recently.

Save one, ransack the other (well, the box was damaged anyway, so no loss).

Well shoot, that's no fair. All the Gamestops I've been to around here in Texas don't seem to have squat worth of anime except for DB/Z/GT and Yu-gi-oh... Mad.
Kyo Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Hey if you wanna know some good anime to watch i would say go with:
Fruits Basket
Hellsing
Naruto
Golden Boy
Tenchi Muyo
Tenchi Universe
Tenchi in Tokyo
And Shamin King oh yeah and One Peice
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2