• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Beckanime.com goes to Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Even in Asia, most people prefer to see dubbed anime. Animax started out as a sub-only network but I checked the website, and now, the only time they show subs is on late at night.
astra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I'll dwell on the subs vs. dubs debate before getting back to Beck (ahem)
I think you're all missing a very important aspect of watching anime in the original Japanese. When I watch anime, and any foreign film for that matter, I watch it knowing that it did not come from American shores. Thus, I look forward to the inherently foreign aspects of it. Thus, anime can be entertainment as well as pique my interest in other cultures. I like to hear the itadakimasu's and the ittekimasu's. In addition, the Japanese has a different rythmn than the English.
Keep in mind that when we watch television, the only senses we use are sight and hearing. When the audio is changed, essentially half of the original is lost. I for one enjoy to hear the Japanese to fully appreciate the creators's vision and experience the culture. Others might only want to see the entertainment aspects. I loved kicking back on a Saturday night and watching Cowboy Bebop in English on Cartoon Network. Quality anime and a quality dub.
For those that argue that subbed anime has no way of succeeding in America, I invite you to look at the success of the Chinese imports Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon and Hero. While Crouching Tiger had a dub, it was widely dismissed by critics and audiences in favor of the original Chinese. Crouching Tiger started out as an arthouse hit that gradually became ingrained in American pop culture. It definitley made a mark and paved the way for the success of Hero, a movie that was released sub only. To those that argue that only action movies can survive on the American market, look at Amelie. The feel good French movie has become a hit in DVD sales. I would love to see a subbed Japanese movie achieve the success these movies have and bring attention to anime.
Though I have not seen Beck, it seems as if the entire essence of the show might be lost if it was dubbed, not just the foreignness that i appreciate. I can see ways that it could work, but companies should tread lightly in case they piss off the fans. I still await the day that subbed anime can go on TV. Not primetime of course, but perhaps the late hours of Adult Swim. Maybe a show that inherently needs its original language but is also humorous could do this. As I said, I haven't seen this anime so any corrections are welcomed Smile
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I doubt sub anime in AS would do well. The majority of AS viewers aren't exactly the "artistic" type or the type that's interested in different cultures.
IanC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
OK guys its been fun. Now back to Beck and the fact that FUNi have got the domain name beckanime.com Wink
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
For all those that come here and read all these post from the Fanboys [Funi} you need to understand that for them FUNi could take a series and shit in every DVD case and release it to them and they would come here and post on how great it smelled. To them Funi can not do no harm in their releases. Even though FUNi has the worst track record of any company they will continue to post on how great this or that was during the part FUNi changed.
On the subject of Beck.. I really like this series and I'll download ever Episode .. and before FUNi gets a penny of my money I'll buy and import me 2 episodes per DVD for 40 bucks.

Now watch as the Funi Fanboys stand up and act all cool about it.. LOL ~!w
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
Even though FUNi has the worst track record of any company

Elaborate. Tell us what dreadful harm came to everything else outside of Dragon Ball & Conan. Do explain what's so horribly dysfunctional about the releases of Kiddy Grade, Fruits Basket, Lupin, Fullmetal Alchemist, Blue Gender, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:39 pm Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
a load of crap

Im not a FUNi fanboy, im just trying to remind people that FUNi have improved a million % since the DBZ days.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that he'll say that it is because FUNimation released them, no more no less.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
BeyonderZ wrote:
For all those that come here and read all these post from the Fanboys [Funi} you need to understand that for them FUNi could take a series and shit in every DVD case and release it to them and they would come here and post on how great it smelled. To them Funi can not do no harm in their releases. Even though FUNi has the worst track record of any company they will continue to post on how great this or that was during the part FUNi changed.
On the subject of Beck.. I really like this series and I'll download ever Episode .. and before FUNi gets a penny of my money I'll buy and import me 2 episodes per DVD for 40 bucks.

Now watch as the Funi Fanboys stand up and act all cool about it.. LOL ~!w

Hey, 1997 called, they want their stereotyping bigotry back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5