• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Excel Saga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tvgood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I just recebtly purchesd the entire season of Excel Saga and just watched 9 episodes. At this point im just plain flat out confused a hell, right know im not sure whats going on or what the hell is the plot. though i laff my ass off most of the time this sereas i just cant help wonder what the hell is going on and how the creatores came up with this.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Excel Saga isn't supposed to make sense. It also parody's a whole bunch of anime and for the most part has a ton of Japanese in-jokes that most non Japanese people won't understand.

A good thing to do is to turn on the ADVidnotes that ADV did for this series. It explains some of what is going on (although to read them you need to pause everytime they come up.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
tvgood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I am japanese and i still didn't get it it was just wierd but still a great series
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Excel and Hyatt are evil lackeys for Ilpalazzo and the "super-secret underground society of ACROSS". They are starting their conquest of the world with the conquest of the City of F, F Prefecture.

That's all that Excel Saga's plot is, really.

But the genius of the show is taking that fragment and applying all of animation history to it -- Sports Anime, Detective Anime, Dating-Sim Games, Post-Apocalyptic Future Anime (i.e. Fist of the North Star), and many more stories and styles. They are completely parodied by trying to apply the characters and plotline mentioned above to all of these styles and stories -- which leads to interesting adventures.

You say that you've only reached around Episode 9. It really picks up after that, so keep watching until you've seen it all, since every episode really is a fresh episode that just pays homages to (and makes fun of) every convention of animation.
Gauss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't worry too much. There is an overarching plotline but it isn't until the last episodes that all the subplots are tied together with the main Excel/Hyatt plot. Well, just to confuse you, an argument could be made that the Pedro-story is what it's all about (heheh, I'm evil...).
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote
And to further confuse you, the story goes (in?)directly into Puni Puni Poemy. In fact, several episodes of Excel Saga has bits and pieces of Puni Puni Poemy stuff. spoiler[Pedro's Son draws Poemy for a Mobster in one episode, and a "rejected" character design for her makes a cameo as a reporter in another episode.] And discs 4-6 has extra stuff about the "development" of Puni Puni Poemy.

Oh, and, um, don't watch the LAST EPISODE!! Don't watch it!!*

*Of course, by saying this, your curiosity will get the best of you, and your clamoring to watch it you sick twisted pervert.
tvgood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Why not watch the last episode
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Oh, and, um, don't watch the LAST EPISODE!! Don't watch it!!*

*Of course, by saying this, your curiosity will get the best of you, and your clamoring to watch it you sick twisted pervert.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:24 pm Reply with quote
tvgood wrote:
Why not watch the last episode

Because, essentially it has elements in it that made it to hot for TV (thus it was released as a OVA episode in Japan). It was meant to go above and beyond all of what happened in the previous 25 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Hail Impalazzo! Laughing

I personally loved the series, there is no plot really it's just a wacky comedy, well there sort of one near the last couple episodes.
matticans

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
the last episode is sick, twisted, and breaks all boundaries......and that is why i love it. Very Happy
msi435

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Haha the legendary last episode, I’ve never seen it but I have heard stories.... horribly perverted stories.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:46 am Reply with quote
Personally, I never saw what was so "extreme" about the last episode. Seemed pretty mild to me, especially after listening to people rave about it so much before actually watching it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
matticans

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:55 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Personally, I never saw what was so "extreme" about the last episode. Seemed pretty mild to me, especially after listening to people rave about it so much before actually watching it.

it isn't really like it is the most extreme thing ever, but more it is extreme compared to the rest of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1